Installing the AirLift 1000

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

ThePainClinic

Postby ThePainClinic » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:36 pm

I really like this mod. I did, however, have one question. Can this help with larger tires? Is there a mod like this for the front as well?

Also, anyone running this with the automatic on board air?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:09 pm

ThePainClinic wrote:Can this help with larger tires?
I would say no. It only provides maybe a half inch of "lift", and that wont gain you much. Also, bigger tires usually mean off offroading capability, and airbags kill the wheel travel even more, and it's not like R51's have much to play with as it is. Also, most of the rubbing with larger tires is up front.
ThePainClinic wrote: Is there a mod like this for the front as well?
As for option availability for the front, there are leveling kits (spacers), aftermarket adjustable coilovers, stock replacement coilovers but not air bags. The suspension set-up is different in the rear vs the front, so the same concept can't be applied (front is a coil over a shock, rear is an independent coil and independent shock), not a combo. IMO the purpose for the rear airbags is for towing and/or remedying the soft rear springs.
ThePainClinic wrote:Also, anyone running this with the automatic on board air?
Not sure if anyone is running this with on-bard air, but I'd say it wouldn't really be necessary to install OBA for the sole reason of the airbags.

Unless .... actually it would kill 2 birds with one stone if installed in that you could hit the trail, air down, tires and airbags. Then right before getting back on paved roads, air everything back up (tires and airbags) for highway use.

I'm currently looking for OBA at the moment. ARB has some decent systems as does Viar.

ThePainClinic

Postby ThePainClinic » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:37 pm

I thought Airlift sold an OBA system....I seem to recall a youtube video from them demonstrating it.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:46 am

ThePainClinic wrote:I thought Airlift sold an OBA system....I seem to recall a youtube video from them demonstrating it.
Do you have a link to the kit you're looking at? The kit I have was 75$, airbags and lines, that's it.

OBA's go for quite a bit more $$ than that. I would need one that can to 33" tires in a semi-jiffy with 100% duty cycle.

drmayer

Postby drmayer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:57 am

Interesting story. i've had the airlift kit installed for a few years now, and i ran the air lines independently. I noticed the right rear end sagging a little bit , so i checked the air pressure on that side and it was 0. I pumped it up and it wasn't holding pressure. After further examination, i found out the hose had detached from the airbag.

THe other day i got around to re-attaching the hose. I squeezed the empty air bag to expose the barb fitting on top, and water started coming out of the air bag! I'm guessing the bag was at least 3/4 full with water. i ended up taking it completely out and draining the rest of the water.

Does anyone have any idea how that much water could accumulate in the air bag?

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Good info here. Thanks!

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:53 am

porksoda wrote:Good info here. Thanks!
Agreed. I plan to do this mod in the Spring. Tired of rolling around like a low rider every time I load up the back with material from Home Depot or hook up a trailer

Barjrob1972

Postby Barjrob1972 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:50 am

I finally got around to installing the airbags on my R51 this weekend. It really controls the sway and bounce and I decided 15 psi feels pretty good to me. It really firms up the rear end. If you're on the fence or, like me, ordered the parts and left them on the shelf for a month before getting around to it, take the hour to get them installed. You'll be satisfied. I mounted my air valves in the bumper, facing downward right beside the bracket screws that hold the bumper cover. I finally decided to get them installed when my last trip from the Airport transporting 4 adults and 4 large bags of luggage had the rear end feeling like a jackhammer. It also tightens up the front-to-rear weight shift when you accelerate from a stop. An unexpected side effect is now, without the weight shift, the rear tires seems to spin a bit more easily on loose rock. The traction control fixes that. I think that's just my driving style and now with the firmer rear I just need to get accustomed to being a little lighter on the skinny pedal.
Installation is pretty straight forward as in the provided write up. The only thing I did a little different is I wiped the rear springs clean and then used a rag sprayed with PB Blaster and wiped them again which turned the factory springs back to like new shiny black. Not too much just a very light coating. It seems to make installation a bit easier. I then seated the bags by airing them up to 35 psi with the suspension flexed, released the pressure and then did it again when I dropped the vehicle to it's normal sitting position. The hardest part of this whole installation - if you want to call it hard - was routing the lines.

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:46 am

Hey guys,

Will be installing my airlifts soon. What is the ideal pressure for someone like me who does not tow anything and has like 4 passengers at most? I Tried riding on the back of my pathy and every time we hit a bump, it sags and bottoms out quickly. Also, what aftermarket shocks do you recommend to make the ride on the back more bearable and comfortable.

Thanks!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:48 pm

I typically ride around at 15 PSI. It seems to work well for me. I usually drive with my wife and I and our two sons in the back but they only weight 60lbs together. I think I'm still on OEM shocks, but I think I need to replace them very soon. I've heard lots of good things about the Bilsteins.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”