wheel spacers

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Fofiddy

wheel spacers

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:57 am

So, I've been thinking about throwing the OME kit on and one thing that has always irked me is how the tires don't line up with the fenders. so I was thinking of throwing on some wheel spacers
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel-Bi ... enameZWDVW
Any one have any experience with them?
On the plus side it would look nice to have the wheels fill out the fenders a little more and it widens the track 3 inches.
But my concern is that it might effect the VDC as well as increase the rubbing in the front with 31" tires.

Any ideas?

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:13 am

I would think the spacers would help prevent rubbing with the tires. The spacers won't effect alignment or wheel speed, so the VDC will not have a clue you added them. So add them on and the OME. Should look cool when your done.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:37 am

You'll probably get a little more bump steer, but I can't imagine it would be a major issue.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:35 pm

RacerZX wrote:You'll probably get a little more bump steer, but I can't imagine it would be a major issue.
Is that from the widened track?

Other than the Wheel rub ( I knew I forgot something) and adding the slightest amount of weight (tires were 10lbs a corner from stock), would I be putting more stress on anything?

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:07 pm

Never in a million years .....I know alot of people use them ... But ... Just last weekend at the track a Cobra had a set of those spacers ... and now the left rear is completely wrecked , sheared the lug bolts off and his $400 Wedsports wheel and spacer went bouncing down pit road .... Good thing he wasnt going down the strait at 130 mph .... noticed it coming off the last corner and got slowed down and in the pits just in time ...... Save your $$ and just find the right wheels ...or have some built .... I would be leary of them esp. if your doing any off roading or any towing .... Just for looks ... then mabie ...

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:01 pm

I've run them for years on my 300ZX race car, no problems at all. Just make sure you use high quality hub centric spacers (H&R) with longer studs and that kinda thing should never be a problem.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:18 pm

hmm I have a habit of pushing the path through corners and do a bit of passing on the highway. That does concern me. As for the off-roading I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it but I bought my dirt bike to belay the beating of my daily drivers (an awesome decision, I reccomed it to anyone who has ever been curious). I'm not drifting it through trails like I used to with my ZJ (man youth is fuel for stupid).
I do tow, but lately it has been just pulling a loaded 3 rail bike trailer ( no where near as taxing as an enclosed 6x12 Like I did last summer).

New wheels would be great but the money for the tires and wheels, off the top of my head we are starting at $2500+ for starters. the $900 for the OME setup I can take but the additional ching has to go fur my house DP.

Carl the H&R site has a selector that came up with the DRM (180 msrp, not horrible). My new concern is spinning a lug I take it It's Grade 8 Hardware but how is it mounted to the plate? The pics they have never show the back:

http://www.hrsprings.com/scripts/appgui ... Pathfinder

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:29 pm

I'll make the assumption that it's like on my Z, I.E. the longer studs have splines on them like the OEM studs and you just pull them through the hub plate to seat them the first time.

-c

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:47 pm

Steel hardware with splines into aluminum/magnesium alloy sounds like you could easily strip it if some ja-moke at the local tire shop isn't using a clutch on the impact gun.
I take it there isn't a safety like recessed hex head on the spacers?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:20 am

So Carl, you would recommend the spacers from H&R I posted the link for?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:05 am

Yup, that's what I use on my 300ZX race car.

-c

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:01 am

Just noticed that those are for the 6x5.5 not 6x4.5 looks Like H&R thinks that the 04 and 05-08 have the same Lug Pat... Bummer
Anyone want to give a 101 class on Wheel backspacing and offset?

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:09 am

What did you decide on wheel spacers Fofiddy, I've read somewhere that this is like the first mod German upgraders put on their 05+ PF's.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:49 am

I decided No-Go. I tow and in the mood strikes get myself in 4 low it's an added POF. I'd feel more secure with a properly built rim retaining the 30mm+ offset. I'm thinking a 18x8.5-9.5 retaining that proper offset and relegating my 16x7s to snow tire duty. I've been trying to get see if procomp would build me a set of one of their styles I actually like but it hasn't been eventfull. For the money I'd much rather put in the nismo headers and custom exhaust and anything left over in the tank

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”