H2 tire carrier **finished**

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

sveintore

Postby sveintore » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:49 am

I must say that thats a good setup if you want the tire on the back like that.
Looks quite professional.

BTW, when it's in the open position, will it stay open until you put it back or will it move loosely?

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:17 am

I think what some people on here should notice and say is this person has CREATIVITY... i just said it... :wink: Nice work, and is not afraid to take a risk in fabrication of his Pathy. Dare to be different is my motto. :)

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:20 am

sveintore wrote:I must say that thats a good setup if you want the tire on the back like that.
Looks quite professional.

BTW, when it's in the open position, will it stay open until you put it back or will it move loosely?
Thanks! Well depends on what kind of incline your on cause the hinge works smooth and gravity does its job... On flat ground it stays put, but parked on a hill lets say leaning to the driver side it would try to eat you if it were big enough incline. I will address that problem even though almost all factory tire carriers swing free like mine. I'm thinking a beefy gas shock kinda like the ones that lift our hatch.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:25 am

KEVSTER wrote:I think what some people on here should notice and say is this person has CREATIVITY... i just said it... :wink: Nice work, and is not afraid to take a risk in fabrication of his Pathy. Dare to be different is my motto. :)
Thank you Sir! Hey thats one of my mottos too! :D

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:32 pm

Now with tire cover for $20 at O'reilly's

daxnizmo

Postby daxnizmo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:01 am

Now THAT doesn't look too bad! Great work man!

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:43 pm

daxnizmo wrote:Now THAT doesn't look too bad! Great work man!
Thanks!

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:08 pm

That's the way it should have been built to begin with. Way to go. I never understood why they put tires underneath when it's bound to get messed up from rocks, trees, and salt. If you don't want to mount a shock, maybe put a rod like the hood holder to lock it in place. Just a thought to throw out there. I like the look.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:46 pm

boogyman wrote:That's the way it should have been built to begin with. Way to go. I never understood why they put tires underneath when it's bound to get messed up from rocks, trees, and salt. If you don't want to mount a shock, maybe put a rod like the hood holder to lock it in place. Just a thought to throw out there. I like the look.
Thanks! Yeah that would work, but its not that big of a problem for me so i may never get around to it unless it becomes one. The biggest thing is a lack of a solid mounting location out of sight cause the only way i can come up with is on the bottom and i dont like that.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:03 am

boogyman wrote:That's the way it should have been built to begin with. Way to go. I never understood why they put tires underneath when it's bound to get messed up from rocks, trees, and salt.
I guess everyone has different priorities. Me, I'm an on-road guy as I suspect that most other Pathy owners are, and I am really glad to have the spare discretely stowed under the vehicle. For something I never use, it'd be a big pain blocking access to the tailgate all the time. I wouldn't have bought the Pathfinder if it had the spare mounted on the back.

Question: Why not just fabricate a skid plate to protect the tire? Seems easier, cheaper, and better looking than this contraption.

I don't mean to put it down and I have to give compliments for being handy and creative. Everyone's allowed their own views and values.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:32 pm

LittleStevie wrote:Question: Why not just fabricate a skid plate to protect the tire? Seems easier, cheaper, and better looking than this contraption.
Well for starters that just seems like a pain in the you know what if you need your spare. As for easier sure it is, but thats not what i wanted besides i love a good challenge! As for cheaper maybe i have around $140 in this project thats less than that stupid hitch mounted one 4x4parts.com sells. Take a look here https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/armor-t ... 0_607.html . As for whats better looking is left to personal opinion. Thanks for the compliments!

Ok well on another note i will be doing some cut chop rebuild on the swing arm heres my idea tell me what you think. I used free google sketch up.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:23 pm

Ok i did get around to cutting off and re-welding the top of the tire carrier further left to make room for the jerry can holder. I still havent had time to work on the bumper anymore, but i'm holding off till finish re locating the latch to the back side.

Shinyboy

Postby Shinyboy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:17 pm

With all that weight hanging on the left and you in the driver seat the ol' pathy's gonna have the gangsta lean going on!

madrock

Postby madrock » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:17 pm

It looks really good. I wish they had one of these for the Pathy:

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Shinyboy wrote:With all that weight hanging on the left and you in the driver seat the ol' pathy's gonna have the gangsta lean going on!
Lol you would think, but you can't even tell though you might have noticed before the airbags.
madrock wrote:It looks really good. I wish they had one of these for the Pathy:
Thanks! From what i understand you could use that one in the pic you posted, but you would just have to cut the middle out of your bumper cover. I hope somebody does it i think it would be a nice setup and if i had deeper pockets i would have bought one for an X.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”