Exhaust Rattle

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:17 pm

ya this is going to sound stupid, but can someone, if they have time, snap a pic of you pointing to one of the clamps you're referring to? i see the shields around different parts of the exhaust just not the clamps
:oops:

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:36 pm

webmastir wrote:ya this is going to sound stupid, but can someone, if they have time, snap a pic of you pointing to one of the clamps you're referring to? i see the shields around different parts of the exhaust just not the clamps
:oops:
There not really clamps just thin bands of metal wrapped around and crimped.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:43 pm

right... i was referring to those as the "shields" i suppose. don't exactly see how they are held up. although, i've yet to pull my path on ramps to actually get further under there. i've only been peaking in from the sides

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:54 am

Looks like I'll be tackling this issue today as I got a loud annoying exhaust rattle as well. Sound though like mine is more towards the rear, closer to the spare tire. We'll see when I get down there and take a look.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:01 am

Well,take a pic of the culprit if u have time :)

mikeG22NY

Postby mikeG22NY » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:15 pm

its is usually not just one and if one has started to rattle chances are pretty good all the others are not far behind so you may want to take the time to replace all of them. they are not even clamps that can be tightened they are just pieces of wire that the robots i'm sure tack on during assembly. very very common in all suvs today no matter who the manufacturer. you really wanna see some garbage check out a sante fe i think they use bailing wire to hold up the exhaust.

home depot 2" hose clamps, very cheap and easy fix.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Well mine were the OEM clamps towards the rear as suspected. Actually they were both of the furthest aft clamps on there. Located between the exhaust tip and muffler. Both clamps of this heat shield had corroded through and came off easily by hand (since they were no longer complete circles). As GbayPathfinder suggested, I purchased 2 exhaust clamps (2.5") from locale auto store and done! While inspecting I did notice another area closer to the Y-pipe where one of the OEM clamps failed as well, so I purchased an extra clamp ($2). Not installed yet though.

NO MORE ANNOYING NOISE, WOO HOO!.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Sorry webmastir, no pics. You'll know exactly what we're talking about those if you crawl up under there. While not exactly "wires" like mentioned, they are small little bands. The bands just rust away in a certain location, and you notice by jiggling them around which ones have failed.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:06 am

i suppose. i'll put my path up on ramps tomorrow to see if i can finally figure out where it's coming from. thanks..

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:45 pm

so i still can't seem to find the culprit. one of those damn shields keeps rattling, but all the clamps are in tact! i can hear the rattling sound if i were to close the driver door semi hard. grr..

we're talking about these round guys, right?

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:50 pm

I have one of the same ones loose ATM. When I get my clamp, I'll snap a picture. It's near direct under the drivers seat.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:14 am

Yea its one of those round things, i just switched mines out today and the rattling is gone. Most of them were intact and i only found one that was already broken so all I did was take it off and put on the 2.5inch exhaust clamp I got from autozone and everything is perfect now. From the look of your pic it looks like that one isnt broken, u will definately see if it is broken once u get underneath ur car. The one i switched out sounded like it was coming underneath the front doors but when i got underneath it was the one near the back passenger door so u should take a look underneath to make sure. Good luck.

I was looking at these to see if these might be a better alternative since they are stainless they wont get rusted during winter. What do u guys think? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pypes-HV ... 2711wt_814

oh btw, i took my car to the stealership for an oil change and told them bout the noise and they came back and said they could fix it for $105, so I kindly told them to go suck a nut. javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')

webmastir wrote:so i still can't seem to find the culprit. one of those damn shields keeps rattling, but all the clamps are in tact! i can hear the rattling sound if i were to close the driver door semi hard. grr..

we're talking about these round guys, right?

:twisted:

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:10 am

falcondrgn wrote: oh btw, i took my car to the stealership for an oil change and told them bout the noise and they came back and said they could fix it for $105, so I kindly told them to go suck a nut. javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')
lol. awesome. ya stealerships never cease to amaze me w/ the prices they quote. you should've asked why it was that much. hour labor my ass, try 5-10min, if even that much

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:17 am

I actually did ask them y they are charging $105 for a part that costs $2.50, their response was the workers are in a union and their fee is a minimum of $90 an hour. So yea the job literally took me 10 minutes.

webmastir wrote:
falcondrgn wrote: oh btw, i took my car to the stealership for an oil change and told them bout the noise and they came back and said they could fix it for $105, so I kindly told them to go suck a nut. javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')
lol. awesome. ya stealerships never cease to amaze me w/ the prices they quote. you should've asked why it was that much. hour labor my ass, try 5-10min, if even that much

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:50 am

And, of course, exhaust shields are not covered by warranty. What a joke. If it came on the car and it's not a "wear and tear" item, it should be covered.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”