Exhaust Rattle

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:07 am

myriad46 wrote:And, of course, exhaust shields are not covered by warranty. What a joke. If it came on the car and it's not a "wear and tear" item, it should be covered.
Exactly! Those of us that live in the salt belt, have to replace all the rusted bands and keep it from sounding like a bucket of bolts. I think I replaced 8 so far.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:11 am

i have yet to still find the culprit. however, i have noticed that it only really happens when the AC is on & i'm in reverse :?:

gilliam433

Postby gilliam433 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:09 pm

hey guys,
would you guys say this is the same issue concerning when i accelerate in my 06 pathfinder and if I hover around 1400-1500 rpm I hear a rattling noise. Its an annoying noise, but especially since I just purchased the car from a Nissan dealer, Im kind of anal and listening to every little noise. Thanks!

GbayPathfinder

Postby GbayPathfinder » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:07 pm

@Webmastir

I think that you could have a loose band under the drivers door, that is where my first one broke. To find it look at the exhaust on the drivers side pipe, there will be a crossbeam that supports part of the frame. Under the crossbeam will be a small heatsheild with 2 bands and you actually have to try to pull or spin the bands to notice if they are broken.

The first time I heard this rattle was about 1500 rpm while driving, but it was also bad in reverse.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:46 pm

Hrmm....ok. Will check that out now. Thanks man

tyzannosaurus

Postby tyzannosaurus » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:04 pm

Just for anyone who may be coming across this topic, I had the same sounding problem as webmastir where none of the "clamps" were broken but it was rattling pretty loudly around 2000 rpm accelerating. Well I got under the car with a flat bar and just pried every single one of those damn heat shields away from the exhaust pipe. I paid close attention to near where the clamps were as the shield seemed to be pretty close to the pipe there. Its only been a couple days so far, but I've noticed a HUGE reduction in the noise, to the point where its only audible if you really listen for it. I hope that helps!

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:12 pm

I've been reading this thread for a few weeks now, but never had any rattling issues of my own. Just a week ago I heard my first rattle so I slid under the PF and ended up taking off six rotten bands. I live in Vancouver and these things are rotting due to all the rain/water/salt that's around here. I bent the heat shields and the rattle mostly disappeared. I say mostly because I can still hear it while pulling out of my driveway.

Here is my question for you guys.

Do we really need all these heat shields?

I know what they are there for, but I started thinking about whether we need them all after I started looking into a new exhaust system. After market or even custom exhausts don't have the heat shields built in.

So, what's the difference between nissan exhaust with heat shields and aftermarket exhaust without heat shields and NO ANNOYING NOISE?

Facevedo17

Postby Facevedo17 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Just posted about this I found it the solution im running to get the exhaust clamps and look for the heatshield I was qouted 100 + at the dealer today I say thank you bye bye...

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Facevedo17 wrote:Just posted about this I found it the solution im running to get the exhaust clamps and look for the heatshield I was qouted 100 + at the dealer today I say thank you bye bye...
I have still yet to find the damn clamp that has been causing this. I've checked each one like 5 times. Which one was it for you? Take a pic if you can.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:54 am

Resurrecting this thread as my R51 has been recently pplagued by the classic heat shield rattle this week. Was backing into the garage up a 10 degree grade and heard the signature sound. Since then I've kept my eyes peeled and hear it occassionally at low speeds around 1,500 RPM.

Wanted to check in and see if anyone can help me save some time and zero in on high probability spots to check. Is one side of the exhaust more prone or exposed to the elements?

Also, assuming I am able to locate it without having it serviced by the stealership. Is there any harm in simply removing the heat shield?

This is on an '11 V8 by the way.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:39 pm

It's best to retain the heat shield(s), if at all possible. In most cases, all you need to do is install a radiator hose clamp around the pipe and shield to replace the clamp that rusted off or broke. I get under the vehicle and use a rubber or plastic mallet to hit various points on the exhaust to find the rattle. A common area is on the Y-pipe, left side, and also near the post muffler, but it can occur anywhere on the exhaust system.

JimsPath

Postby JimsPath » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:07 pm

I had mine in Mr Lube for an oil change and mentioned them to the guys. They looked for it and found it. Broken clamp still in place and doing nothing. Mine was really loud, usually stopped at a light or something, you would get a shudder and loud rattle.

They clamped them back on and its gone. There is one small one left but the annoyance is finally gone.

Now the sound the rear wiper makes when the glass dries is something different.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:27 pm

Yup, same thing happened to me, clamp rusted but still in place. easy fix. Don;t even think the clamp needed to be there in the first place.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”