Uneven front pad wear

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

G35TR

Uneven front pad wear

Postby G35TR » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:22 pm

Seems my passenger side brake pads are wearing a lot faster then my driver. last time i changed the pads, I was @ <5% left on passenger, and around >60% on driver.

This is an 05'. Anyone know the usual causes for this to happen, and what quick fixes can i look into, before I take it to the dealer to be told i need a complete caliper rebuild?

Could it be air in the lines that I can fix with a simple bleeding?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:37 pm

Doing a full brake system flush wouldn't be a bad idea, but jeez, that kinda thing smells more like the caliper piston getting stuck. If you had air in the line on one side the brakes would apply unevenly and you'd probably feel a tug on the wheel.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:42 am

Dunno my pads have plenty left on them at almost 38k even with the addition of the heavy tires. On the other hand my rotors have been turned twice (brake shudder). I for one am not easy on the binders. I agree with Carl something isn't Kosher.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:08 am

RacerZX wrote:Doing a full brake system flush wouldn't be a bad idea, but jeez, that kinda thing smells more like the caliper piston getting stuck. If you had air in the line on one side the brakes would apply unevenly and you'd probably feel a tug on the wheel.
When you stay stuck, you mean stuck as in pressure contantly applied, thus continuous pad contact with the rotor?

As far as brake pull. I don't get anything noticable, except on wet roads. On wet roads, under heavy application (>75% pedal depression), the tire with good pad life (driver's side) will lock up. Happened yesterday matter of fact, which reminded me to bring this up here. :)

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:19 am

It sounds like the caliper is not releasing. Either it needs lube on the guide pin or it is toast. I would get the dealer to look at it, because it shouldn't be frozen already. It should be covered under warrantee.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:20 am

boogyman wrote:It sounds like the caliper is not releasing. Either it needs lube on the guide pin or it is toast. I would get the dealer to look at it, because it shouldn't be frozen already. It should be covered under warrantee.
Except I got 41000 miles.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”