R51 REAR SUSPENSION OFFICIALLY SUCKS!!!!

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:31 pm

:arrow: Looks like 2 people in here are looking for an excuse to buy a new ride, So I have a suggestion.... Honda Pilot... :lol: Honda Pilot... :wink: Just do it!!! Than report back on yer new ride with pics,etc.. :roll:

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:26 pm

BMXPath wrote: I ended up drifting the Pathy thru the turn effortlessly.
Did you have VDC turned off? Otherwise how were you drifting?

Storm4.0

Re: R51 REAR SUSPENSION OFFICIALLY SUCKS!!!!

Postby Storm4.0 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:09 pm

This is VERY simple...
kizzzottt wrote: Does something need to be fixed or replaced or should I just trade this turd in?
- b
Put shocks on the rear of that turd :roll:

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Oh... and
skinny2 wrote:It's really the only complaint I have and it is a big enough one I'm considering selling. When you hit a bump at 70mph and your vehicle lunges to the side...it scares the shat out of you.

I'm going to install new tires soon, have the alignment checked again and see what happens. If it doesn't improve I'll probably go shopping. No idea what to buy...it took forever to decide on the PF.
Your problem is that you need to have a good alignment done on your Pathfinder. From what you describe is that the thrust angle is all screwed up, this the correlation of the camber & toe of the front and rear, the one down side to fully independent suspension. Go hop (seriously HOP) in a 4runner over a washboard type road, with its live rear axle, and you'll realize what it feels like to shat yourself.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:01 pm

I've had trouble getting it to a GOOD alignment shop. I'm working in this crappy little town with one alignment shop and they claimed everything was good. The good shop I know of is an hour away and you have to make an appointment a couple weeks out. Hate to take a day off just for an alignment...but I'm hoping that helps.

I wouldn't touch a Pilot...not even on my shopping list. I liked the 4Runner but the seats were horrible. I think I would have liked the Armada better but I do like the 20mpg I average on my commute.

fat_frog

Postby fat_frog » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:31 pm

It could be your rear springs. How easy is it for you to push the rear bumper down? If it's really easy to push it and let it go up and down, your springs might be dead (possibly along with your shocks.)

liver

Can I join your club?

Postby liver » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:03 am

I have a 2006 Pathfinder, bought it used with 29,000 miles on it. I can see why the owner sold it. I live in L.A. and whenever I try to use the carpool lane, I am reminded how crappy the rear suspension in this thing is. I can't even stay in that lane, which is infamous for being quite bumpy (in a regular car). In my pathfinder, it is un-imagineable how crappy the ride is. It is embarrassing when I have friends ride with me.

I too have the extended full-warranty, so i took it back to Nissan and said "the rear shocks must be shot". They said nope, they were fine.

I just took my Pathfinder on a 12 hour drive up to northern Utah for vacation at a cabin. Guess what I got - an 11mm herniated disc in my back from the insanely shitty ride the whole way there... the largest herniation the neurosurgeon had ever seen. So now I have a numb left leg and foot.

Thanks Nissan.

liver

Postby liver » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:10 am

So, now that I have updated you all on my frustrations, here is what I plan on doing.

Buy the best shocks and springs and have them installed. If that doesn't turn this Pathfinder into a joyous ride, I am selling it.

Do you agree?

WheatBread

Re: Can I join your club?

Postby WheatBread » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:44 am

liver wrote:11mm herniated disc in my back from the insanely shitty ride the whole way there... the largest herniation the neurosurgeon had ever seen. So now I have a numb left leg and foot.
If the ride was that bad, why in the hell did you sit through it for 12 hours?

liver

Postby liver » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:55 am

Because herniations aren't always immediate. Over time, it got worse and worse from all the bumps and I never felt any pain. But then that night, my leg was on fire from the pinched nerve. And that was that. Ruined my trip.

Then on the ride home, I couldn't ride in that Pathfinder again. So I rode with someone else who had a Toyota Highlander. It was much better.

Back to the original point - how could the Pathfinder have such a horrible rear suspension? I am going to go find some 2006's at some dealerships and test drive them. If they have the same terrible ride, then I guess I will just sell mine.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:56 pm

liver wrote:Because herniations aren't always immediate. Over time, it got worse and worse from all the bumps and I never felt any pain. But then that night, my leg was on fire from the pinched nerve. And that was that. Ruined my trip.

Then on the ride home, I couldn't ride in that Pathfinder again. So I rode with someone else who had a Toyota Highlander. It was much better.

Back to the original point - how could the Pathfinder have such a horrible rear suspension? I am going to go find some 2006's at some dealerships and test drive them. If they have the same terrible ride, then I guess I will just sell mine.
sux, man....but i think it's YOUR truck. never had any of the issues w/ mine (esp. after the suspension upgrade), and have easily put in several 12-15 hour drives in it in the past couple months alone. hope you figure it out...

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:02 pm

LittleStevie wrote:
BMXPath wrote: I ended up drifting the Pathy thru the turn effortlessly.
Did you have VDC turned off? Otherwise how were you drifting?
VDC was on. Trust me, if you go thru a turn fast enough, the tires WILL break loose sideways. VDC wont stop that.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Yeah, I've broken it loose but VDC always catches it pretty quick and brings traction back to the rear. I've been very impressed with how well VDC seems to compensate for a loose rear end.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:40 am

I wasnt just loosing traction, I had all 4 tires sliding laterally. I assume VDC probably helped in regaining control though, it did recover quite quickly. I dont want to intentionally repeat drifting in any suv, whether it has great suspension or not.

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:59 pm

With 50k some miles on my original rear suspension, it will hop out on SERIOUSLY bad pavement and off-road (haha, kinda makes it fun off-road). When I put the bags in it, instant improvement. I haven't put in my rear 2" lift AC coils and Bilsteins yet, just haven't had the time, BUT in doing so, I also ordered the alignment cams for both front an rear. That is one thing I think Nissan may have made a mistake on for alignment purposes: fixed cams on the lower links... BOOOOO! (at least on the 06' year)

Quite honestly, if even you are replacing the suspension and your year doesn't have the adjustable lower bolts, get them with the new suspension. PRG has em, I think you can even find them from RockAuto. I can only imagine it'll improve your alignment potential and reduce issues.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”