Rear Differential Oil

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

LittleStevie

Rear Differential Oil

Postby LittleStevie » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:15 am

I started a thread over on another Pathfinder forum, but figured I'd let you all know about my experiences with changing my rear differential oil on my '05.

First, it took quite a bit of persistence with Nissan parts dept. to get them to agree that there are in fact plug gaskets as indicated by the service manual. They wanted to tell me to use RTV silicone. They finally found and ordered the gaskets.

I have 28k miles on my Pathfinder and I do not tow anything, so I expected the oil to drain out slightly amber or clear. It actually came out extremely dark, and there was a significant amount of metallic particles on the magnetic drain plug. Based only on visual observation, I was not impressed with how the oil held up, especially since it should see nowhere near the temperature of an engine oil.

I've made up my mind to drain and replace my RFD oil at least every 30k miles, even though the service manual says just to inspect at 15k (unless you tow). By the way, the inspection procedure in the service manual is a joke -- there's no way you're going to tell the condition of the oil or amount of particulates at the bottom by sticking your finger in the fill hole. I really think you need to drain it.

If you haven't already and have more than 20,000 miles, I'd consider replacing your rear differential oil. I put in Royal Purple MaxGear 75W-90, looking forward to see if it lowers my differential temperature at all.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:58 pm

You happen to have that part number for the gaskets? I went to get them several months ago prepping to change my diff oil but the parts guy at the time said he didn't have it in his system yet. I always like part numbers in hand.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:20 pm

blink32 wrote:You happen to have that part number for the gaskets? I went to get them several months ago prepping to change my diff oil but the parts guy at the time said he didn't have it in his system yet. I always like part numbers in hand.
Sure -- Part # 11026-4N200

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:25 pm

Muchas Gracias.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:25 pm

Thanks for the part number, looks like Courtesy Parts stocks it too.

What amount of oil did it take?

Is this just a basically drain and refill thing, or is there more to it?

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:08 pm

It was just a little more than 1.5 quarts (3 pints), as the service manual said. Fortunately I had 3 quarts of gear oil on hand, because you can't get a good enough angle to use more than about half a quart of each bottle. I had to keep refilling one bottle. I ended up needing just a little of the 3rd quart.

I had a short length of plastic tubing (1/4" diameter maybe?) that I attached onto the filler cap of the gear lube bottle, which helped on the angle somewhat.

It is really just a drain and fill thing. If I were to do it again, I might consider a little flush with new oil, just putting some new oil in the fill hole and letting it drain down before putting my final fill in. I really wasn't prepared to find as much metal powder/shavings as I did.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:14 pm

LittleStevie wrote:.... you can't get a good enough angle to use more than about half a quart of each bottle. I had to keep refilling one bottle.
You've probably already seen these but just incase you haven't, they have these little pump joints you screw on the top of oil bottles to pump oil up into diff's and trannies that are hard to get to.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:20 pm

blink32 wrote:
LittleStevie wrote:.... you can't get a good enough angle to use more than about half a quart of each bottle. I had to keep refilling one bottle.
You've probably already seen these but just incase you haven't, they have these little pump joints you screw on the top of oil bottles to pump oil up into diff's and trannies that are hard to get to.
Yeah, I have seen them, but made the decision to buy an extra $10 bottle of gear lube (that I can use next time) instead of a $15 pump that I'd have laying around. I'm sure they make a difference though.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”