springs and strut fittment

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:00 pm

They do albeit just barely. The rub did not change after I installed the OME either. Racer made a post of pictures where it rubbed and my setup rubbed in very similar locations if I remember correctly. Those locations for me are about dead center, lower 2-3 inches of the front wheel well liner. I also discovered that its rubbing on the frame rail on the passenger side for me. Just enough to wear the paint off a small patch.

The rub is only when turning and ascending or descending some sort of incline like a driveway entrance at slow speeds. After a few weeks it stopped occurring that often and as predominantly as in the beginning as about 1mm was worn away from the liner. But I have since started running my tires at around 50psi and the rub came back a little bit stronger.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:12 pm

I can deal with on road rubbing, and would probably do the same thing Racer did. But, I'm more worried about how bad it will be off road. Have you had a chance to try it out on a dirt road yet? Something with lots of bumps? The 285/75/16's I want to get are very close in size to your 17's, so any input would be great.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:27 pm

On the dirt roads and short tracks I've been on I haven't been able to discern any rubbing in straight line for sure at any speed. And turning at speed on bumpy roads I didn't notice any rubbing then either. I haven't needed to do any slow speed off-camber turning yet off-road.

Ash

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:31 pm

blink32 wrote:On the dirt roads and short tracks I've been on I haven't been able to discern any rubbing in straight line for sure at any speed. And turning at speed on bumpy roads I didn't notice any rubbing then either. I haven't needed to do any slow speed off-camber turning yet off-road.
so do you think if whent with some 275/70/17 i would be pretty safe to say that there would be no rubbing, its just i whent to a few tyer shops and they have all douted that i would get 275/70/17's under the car

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:22 pm

Ash wrote:so do you think if whent with some 275/70/17 i would be pretty safe to say that there would be no rubbing, its just i whent to a few tyer shops and they have all douted that i would get 275/70/17's under the car
From what I see on PCOA, it looks like your tire shops are simply not used to large tires on vehicles (at least larger than stock), what with needing an engineering certificate or some such thing. I'm not answering for Blink, but I know that you can fit quite a bit of tire under the Pathie.

Just be thankful that you can buy a diesel PF. I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

I watched the video you have in your signature. That's the perfect example of why we need a locker for the PF. Be thankful that was such an easy road though-every time that has happened to me, I've had to back up and change my approach. It's only annoying to me because I've never had a locker in any of my vehicles, yet I've also never had lack of forward momentum like I do in the PF when the wheels start spinning either.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Yea, Steve's on it. 275/70's would fit smooth as silk. Once these wear out I'm actually going to drop to narrower tires like 275's or even 265's.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”