Cruise Control jerkiness

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

MajesticBlueRocks!

Cruise Control jerkiness

Postby MajesticBlueRocks! » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:30 am

Hey all,

I just picked up my first Pathfinder the other day. It is an '07 LE Majestic Blue (as you might have guessed from the name). It only has 1200 miles on it now, but I noticed when I have the cruise on and I am rolling down the hill it has some jerkiness like it is hitting the brakes for me and trying to keep the speed at exactly what I have it set at.

Is this normal? I am trying to decide if I want to take it back to the Dealer to have them look at it.

Also, any input on tire pressures? It came with them at 44 and that was causing me to about lose control every time I hit a bump. I put them at 36 and it seems a lot better now.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance,

Jeff

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:17 pm

cool I got the same color.

well cruise control " controls" the speed so if you are going down the hill, it will need to adjust to the speed hence braking or using the engine to control the speed ( that "jerkiness")

I noticed that as well without cruise control: going down a steep hill, the PF will use the engine to kinda slow you down or at least keep you at the same speed....

MajesticBlueRocks!

Makes Sense

Postby MajesticBlueRocks! » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:15 pm

OK, that makes sense, but I guess my 02 Explorer was a little more subtle about it. I didn't notice it when I didn't have the cruise on, so I will watch it for a while and I'll complain to the dealer in the next 30K miles (warranty). It really reminds me of when I used to top out my old Monte Carlo SS and the transmission would shift in and out of gear, not as bad, but still very noticeable.

Anyway I still love it and I'll play with some of the other Traction control settings to see if that is in it.

Thanks for your input!
Jeff

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:22 pm

Yeah, on a downhill slope it'll downshift a gear to maintain speed even if you aren't on cruise. I'm not sure how it's attempting to figure out what speed you're wanting to not go over, but if you aren't expecting it to do that it certainly might seem odd.

As for the bump steer, sure getting the pressures right might help make it skip a bit less, but you might want to ponder an alignment to ensure your front and rear toe are correct. Mine were off from the factory, yet 'within tolerances' according to the dealer :roll:

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:26 am

MJBlue: did you buy the 4x4 ?

MajesticBlueRocks!

4x4

Postby MajesticBlueRocks! » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:47 am

Yep. I haven't had a chance to use it. I put it in Auto one time when it was raining really hard. We'll see what winter brings. That or I'll make a trip out to the farm. :) Need to get a few more miles on it first though.

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:32 pm

try the 4x4 Hi mode and make a uturn ie turn the wheels all the way..see if you feel the car slowing down.

I've noticed that on my 08

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:34 am

44psi????? WTF if it was a Explorer you would be dead already. I'd have the yams of who ever prep'd that vehicle on a silver tray.
35psi should make it run like a rock. The only reason you should ever go over 35psi is if you move up to LT tires then depending on load rating you should be running from 45-60psi.

As for the downhill breaking (downshift) it's completely normal and you will see it in alot of higher end cars.

Return to “General Automotive”