OME suspension problem

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

OME suspension problem

Postby NVSteve » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:11 pm

To make a long story short, I'll just start with yesterday. I drove from Price, AZ, to about 70 miles northwest of there near the UT/AZ border. Same place I had been backpacking in June, if you saw that post. I had to drive down a dirt road about 15 miles, no biggie. They had had rains and flooding a week or so before, so many sections of the road had washouts, and one section just ended up in a 5' dropoff-someone created a bypass around it that only a 4x4 could take. I'm pretty positive I would have scraped the underside if I didn't have the OME installed. Made it to the trailhead & took my short 7 mile hike to a place called "The Wave" (pictures will be posted in another thread whenever I get to it). Came back to the car and started driving out the same way I had arrived. One section of the road is the harshest washboard I have ever driven, and I really thought the road to the Racetrack in Death Valley was bad. It was so bad that my windshield wipers turned on twice, meaning that it jarred the car so hard that the lever shifted down to the ON position. Just past this area, I noticed a horrible clunking sound coming from under the car. I stopped, did a quick looksee under and around the PF, but found nothing. As I started to go again, same horrible noise. I knew something was wrong, so I rolled down all the windows to see if I could pinpoint the location. It was definitely coming from the front driver's side, so I stopped again and did a very long check of everything on that side. All the nuts and bolts were tight & in place, nothing dangling or broken, etc. I stopped 2 more times wondering what the hell it was. I knew it had to be suspension related, so I stared at all the guts under the well for a few minutes, then ran to the other side to see if I could notice anything different. Bingo. The top of my shock post was a good 1/2" above where it should be. If you look at the following picture, taken when I discovered the problem, it should be fairly obvious to those who have installed the OME:

The top of the shock where the washer is should be level with that top part of the mount with the 3 bolts. I debated pulling off the wheel, but realized there was nothing I could possibly do to fix the problem. So, I drove out the rest of the way on the dirt road, then hit the next town, some 60 miles distant. I was able to get a couple different mechanics to look at it, but none of them had obviously ever dealt with shocks before. I knew I was screwed when one of them said "boy, those springs sure are tightly spaced." I decided I'd cut my trip short and head back to Salt Lake City, stopping in Bryce Canyon since it was on my original itinerary (though I had to take the pavement to get there rather than the great dirt road I had planned). Made it into Salt Lake this afternoon in time to stop by my local installer. He knew what the problem was right away, and the way he explained it, it sounds like there is a problem with the OME hardware or Nissan hardware. Since I didn't install these myself, I can't say for certain. So, for those of you who have installed the OME, what do you think? I guess there is another washer gizmo that isn't visible on the underside of the shock post. I was told that the bushing or whatever popped its way through that washer. What I don't know is if this washer was part of the OME kit, or if it was reused from the old suspension. I'm getting it fixed on Tuesday, which isn't soon enough since it now sounds like a $2 ghetto car in the throes of death.

Anyway, sorry to be such a windbag again, but just wanted to let everyone know there is a problem. I'll know on Tuesday what exactly that problem is. If it is OME, I'll be contacting them to let them know. Even if it is a Nissan part, I'll still let OME know about it so that they can include the extra parts necessary. By the way, my local installer will be removing both front assemblies and fixing both, most likely heavy duty washers pulled from other OME kits he has on hand.
Last edited by NVSteve on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ash

Postby Ash » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:16 pm

Hi Steve looking at this, it may be an existing nissan part i was thinking it was either part 3 or part 4 that has given way. Image

Ash

Postby Ash » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:39 pm

Steve this washer on the ome strut may be the the problem also. im only giving you posibility's on what it could be. Image

Ash

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:47 am

Steve where is your dust cover? ask your installer where the dust cover is that may contain the large washer you need.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Thanks for all the info, Ash. When I had the suspension installed, I told them to install the old dust covers, per Blinks experiences. It didn't even dawn on me until you asked me about them, after which I ran outside (love the September snow) and took a quick peek. Sure enough, no dust covers. I could see that from the photo I posted, but I just had to check the other side as well. So, I pulled out the boxes with my old components and took out the dust covers, which are a Rancho red in color-good thing I'll have wheels hiding the clashing colors. And that washer that the dust cover attaches to seems like the key to my problem, so it'll be an easy fix. And a free one since the installers messed up. Had I not been so concerned with my trip, I probably could have rationalized that I had no dust covers.

So, false alarm...for now. We'll see what they discover on Tuesday.

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:28 pm

good to know it was an install problem.

how about some pictures of UT early snow :)

Ash

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:39 pm

NVSteve wrote:Thanks for all the info, Ash. When I had the suspension installed, I told them to install the old dust covers, per Blinks experiences. It didn't even dawn on me until you asked me about them, after which I ran outside (love the September snow) and took a quick peek. Sure enough, no dust covers. I could see that from the photo I posted, but I just had to check the other side as well. So, I pulled out the boxes with my old components and took out the dust covers, which are a Rancho red in color-good thing I'll have wheels hiding the clashing colors. And that washer that the dust cover attaches to seems like the key to my problem, so it'll be an easy fix. And a free one since the installers messed up. Had I not been so concerned with my trip, I probably could have rationalized that I had no dust covers.

So, false alarm...for now. We'll see what they discover on Tuesday.
no worry's at all Steve.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:39 pm

Good call Ash. As soon as you mentioned it it dawned on me that Steve's first pick looked "weird" not only because of the nut at the top of the shock but because of all that silver I could see between the spring ;). Good luck with getting that straightened out. And as you remember, I can attest to a gawd awful noise when those dust shields aren't installed. :-/ .
Tony

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:03 pm

V8Pathy wrote:good to know it was an install problem.

how about some pictures of UT early snow :)
Forget that. I'm staying inside where it's relatively warm (need to fire up the furnace most likely), going through the million pics or so I took from the last 3 days. The snow isn't sticking to the ground in town, but hopefully it is in the mountains. If it clears up tomorrow, I'll take a few snaps of the mountains & post them here.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:51 pm

Pictures are up in the Road Trip section:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=422

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:13 am

Awe Cumon, The Hulkster rocked a yellow and red Viper. Thats a like ... Awesome :D

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:16 pm

Somehow when they installed the front shocks, the bushings must have been firm enough to keep the shocks in place until my mishap. The top part of the piston simply pushed itself up through the bushing, which would not have happened if the dust cover washer was in place to stop the piston from moving beyond where it should. All better now.

Fofiddy

OME long term updates?

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:01 am

So of all you OME converts out there: How would you rate it for a daily driver? all around comfort and long trips?

I'm almost at 50k and it's time for the scheduled shock replacment. I gotta crap or get of the pot on this one.

Who's found it for the cheapest, where?
Still got to mount them and align the SOB

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: OME long term updates?

Postby NVSteve » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:47 am

Fofiddy wrote:So of all you OME converts out there: How would you rate it for a daily driver? all around comfort and long trips?
It has been great around town. I still don't notice any difference between the OME and the Rancho I had previously. The only difference has been better response going over ruts, bumps, potholes, etc. The OME just tackle such things with ease, whereas the previous springs & Rancho shocks would bottom out and bounce a bit...pretty much over anything. I also have zero complaints with highway driving.
I'm almost at 50k and it's time for the scheduled shock replacment. I gotta crap or get of the pot on this one.
Hell yes. If you have to replace the shocks anyway, may as well replace the springs while you are at it.
Who's found it for the cheapest, where?
Go to ARB's website and look up local dealers in your area. I bet most of the places that carry these will have similar prices. The killer would be the shipping, as some companies gouge people more than others. I bought mine from these guys: http://www.rocky-road.com/

But, they are local & no shipping costs were involved.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Re: OME long term updates?

Postby blink32 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:47 am

Fofiddy wrote:Who's found it for the cheapest, where?
Pretty sure I've mentioned in previous posts where I got mine in this thread. It's in there somewhere.

If you have a reason to come down this way stop by. We'll have them swapped in under 2 hrs I bet. :)

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”