OME suspension problem

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:29 pm

Not to beat a dead horse but you've mentioned it's not a daily driver... but would it be worth it for a daily driver. Plus being up higher how has it effected your handeling at say high speed lane changes, emergency manuvers? My dog gonna get carsick?
I find without the airbgags the rear stock springs are useless but it's like my front suspension has started to get sloppier.
Why couldn't we have gotten the Barcalona Build's rear end and suspension, and diesel... :(

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:23 am

Long high speed sweeping curves like on/off ramps make me feel sketchy (or short tight curves for that matter) but I can say that has to be the "SUV Effect" because after installing the OME, even though my COG was higher it felt stiffer and had less body roll giving me the sensation of safety.

It likes to follow ruts and divets in the road but that has more to do with my tires than the OME. The OME just helps me feel it more.

My roads here are super ch!tty and there are lots of small potholes and what equate to speed bumps that are low and narrow (say 2" high by 5" wide) but produce pretty jarring bounces. Tires also don't help with that.

I would do it all over again in a heart beat though.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:11 am

if you had to do a slalom?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:34 am

then I'd switch cars ;)

I've done what I consider "high speed" maneuvers and I wouldn't classify it as it as scary. The wife hasn't ever complained on any of our trips and the dash mounted (hanging by straps) dvd player stays in place. For me it is tough to compare not having another suv to drive nor having one prior to this. All cars and low pickups before.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:08 am

Unfortunately the upcoming GTRs are a little out of my price range. Just trying to make the path a little more livable until I finally get the 2nd MY of the new 1/2ton diesels that are supposedly coming out in the next 2 years.
I'm not trying to make this thing a car. Just making sure I'm not making a lateral transition from the airbags set stiff to the OME.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:10 am

It's more of a subjective thing than anything else. What you consider "stiff" with your airbags might not be considered the same for the rest of us. I haven't driven anything other than the SE-OR, but I keep hearing how bad the suspension is. My SE-OR stock suspension was fine, aside from bottoming out all the time. Seriously, the ride hasn't changed at all between the stock and OME. I actually had to get out of my PF the day I drove it home from getting the OME installed (AND getting rear ended), then getting out and checking to make sure it really was installed. I can hit the holes and bumps with no problems, whereas before it made me cringe and think the suspension was going to give out.

Mine is my daily driver. I was out of town driving a rental a couple of months ago, and it was a Pontiac Grand Crap. After driving that for a week, then getting back in the Pathie, it really reminded me just how tall it is. There were some things I had to do slower, but the handling is great. I could really do without the stupid VDC though. I think it's more dangerous than it is safe.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:48 am

I agree on the perception. Now that I think of it I drove a buddies Stock 2001-ish Jeep Grand Cherokee a little while ago and I seriously thought the thing was broken/wheels going to fall off. He jumped behind the wheel and said it was normal. Thing was so spongy felt like it would fall over at any corner at any speed. Shocks were OG so that wasn't helping but the Pathy's OME felt real like a race car in comparison.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:58 pm

I had a Grand Cherokee V8 albeit mine was a 97. But I put the Upcountry package springs and paired them with Bilstien shocks and that thing could hold it's own. It was much boatier in comparison to my path as far as dead spot and responce (wierd for such a significantly smaller vehicle).
I could rail around corners like no body's buisness, and when the wind was pushing boxy cars all this way and that the ZJ stayed firmly planted without the slightest bit of influence.
Thats my goal, I'm not going autocrossing, but I will be late to work and will be trying to change that on my drive in. That and I'm a lead foot that likes the twisties.... all WV coal-road style

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:29 am

Well, where are you going to be on the 29th?

I'm heading up to the Mohegan Sun for the IFL finales and will be in Portland from late Friday night (typically between 11:30pm-1am I arrive) till early evening Sunday night (7-10pmish). I forget where you said you were (hard hittin new britain?) but we could meet up. You could take a ride and conversely take mine for a spin and see how it feels.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:23 am

I think I'll be here (In NB) assuming my girlfriend hasn't made plans for me...
Sounds like a plan... how are those BFG's doing in the Ice? I can't complain about snow but when it comes to ice my 31"s can make for some interesting deals with deities. I'm strongly considering a set of Snow and Ice tires... something in a 245/75R16.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:02 am

Fofiddy wrote:I'm strongly considering a set of Snow and Ice tires... something in a 245/75R16.
Why would you want a narrower tire?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:29 pm

NVSteve wrote: Why would you want a narrower tire?
Cut through the snow easier, less float/steamroller effect at higher speeds? I know I want narrower tires also to keep the thing from climbing out of the ruts into the slush and waggling me around.

FO, I'll let you know what's up when the time gets closer. I never got into any real ice last year. I'll see what happens this year.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:52 pm

NVSteve, we get alot of ice here in New England so more weight to a smaller contact patch works better for us out here on the East coast. Snows alot different too. I'm not quite sure if its because our mountains usually peak out at about 5000-6000ft above sea level and most of your mountains bases are at about 6-7000ft. But I've skiied both and they are alot diff.
Flotation tires are fine in the snow and the siping on my OCs are great for handling any rain or slush that may come my way. Conversely we have had temps hovering in the high 20s which is just perfect for black ice. We are talking about the stuff you see in videos where a car on a road that doesn't look too bad comes to a seemingly normal stop and then just slides sideways into the curb due to the crowning of the road and then continues to slide backwards and then rear ends a parked car. Thats been all the rage here lately... my ABS kicked on when I was trying to ease myself to a stop at 30mph going up a crest and I has a good 1500ft to come to a stop (which I almost slid out into the intersection). Driving in snow I love, Ice I F-n hate.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:57 am

I'll have to see if I can dig up an article that addresses this, entitled "10 Myths About Winter Driving." One of the "myths" is that narrower tires are more effective on ice. What the article says is that the more surface area of tire attached to the ice, the better the handling. I'll see if I can find it and post it up.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:51 pm

Okay, so it's been a couple of years. No age cracks, please. Here's the article (I believe from 4 Wheel Drive Magazine, but my memory has faded):

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”