Hill Descent Control Plug in?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Kyson

Hill Descent Control Plug in?

Postby Kyson » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:59 pm

I have a friend with a heavily modified (and supremely capable) Toyota Landcruiser he's had for years. This past weekend he was showing me some new additions and we got on the subject of North America vehicles vs those sold elsewhere. Case in point was that in Australia, there is a switch on the dash that electrically engages a four-hi lock for the front, center and rear in the event you damaged the rear driveshaft and still need to drive the AWD Cruiser using the front axle only. This was not available here on his year and there was a trim plate in the dash where the switch went. He simply ordered the switch, installed it, and plugged in the harness that was behind the dash in that location. It was that simple. There were a couple other items dealt with in a similar fashion - apparently the Landcruiser has a harness used globally and the North America spec vehicles are simply not supplied with those switches.

My question is do you think it is that simple to add HDC (from the Offroad package) to a current Pathfinder SE 4X4 (non-OR)? Or is there a different Computer and harness? I only ask because everything else seems to be uniform for these trucks. The OR skidplates bolted right into the existing holes in the frame, the larger OR tires went right on with no apparent change necessary to the computer, speedo, etc. besides an ECU reset.

Its not necessary, but I'd add it if it was a simple plug in if nothing else to get rid of the one cover plate I have in the dash.

It would not suprise me if the harnesses were the same and the options were simply plug in features based on vehicle content. And I believe HDC is completely computer controlled using the exisiting engine management and ABS systems. I would understand it being a more complex upgrade if servos and seperate electronics were involved.

Just wondered if anyone had thought this one through yet?

I guess I could try and pull my switch plate and see if there is a harness anywhere near that area behind the console.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the length of the post.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:18 am

Makes sense. All Pathfinders have VDC & ABLS, so it's fully capable of applying the brakes without your help and knows the attitude of the vehicle. Please keep us posted on what you find, that would be very sweet if it's just a switch and maybe a little wire and we've got Hill Start/Decent :D

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:38 pm

I just posted some pics of the spare connectors behind the VDC panel. There are 3 extras, hopefull two for heated seats and one for the HDC. Now if somebody with the OR edition can open theirs up and show us exactly how it looks back there...anyone? Maybe I'll go to the dealer and "test drive" an OR... :lol:

Kyson

Postby Kyson » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:46 am

hmmm.

I have heated seats, so I should just have one behind my panel then. I had given up on this as I called a local dealer and he though there was a different wiring harness between the OR and non-OR 4X4s (though he didn't sound certain).

After reading this, I checked Courtesy Nissan and they show the switch on their website for about 41.00. It would be interesting to see if it is just a plug in.

How did you pull the panel?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:16 pm

Oh cool, didn't realize the switch was right there on Courtesy's site. Just ordered it, fingers crossed everybody...

fernando

Postby fernando » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:33 pm

well what ever happen ? did you get the switch did it work?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:39 pm

Just got it this evening actually, and just got back from a test drive. No joy :( . The switch plugs in fine, and even lights up with the dash lights, but it has no effect and the HDC light doesn't illuminate on the dash.

If we're lucky we're a reprogramed ECU away from making it work, if we're unlucky then, well...

fernando

Postby fernando » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:29 am

are you going to reprogramed your ecu? and do you know how to do that?

Ash

Postby Ash » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:47 am

We here in Australia didin't get the hill decent in any of our models i new overseas models had it i wonder if its also adaptable to our version !

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:45 am

I have no idea if anybody is making an aftermarket ECU, but I'll be hunting around to see what I can find.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:15 am

Racer- I know this is an old thread, however, I have an OR and i just wanted to make sure you tried your HDC while in 4wd Hi or low, as that is the only way it will engage. If it makes you guys feel any better, the only times i have used mine is just to see how it worked, 4low has proved low enough to keep me at a crawl down any hills encountered off-road.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:40 am

Yup, both 4hi and 4lo, no joy :(

trance34

Postby trance34 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:49 am

Carl, do you have any friends that are Nissan Techs. They could probably be do a reflash. Or play dumb and go to a dealership and tell them your HDC isn't functioning.

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:49 pm

any news yet ? if you disconnect battery for 15 20 minutes will that help reprogram the ecu ?

jorgecar

Postby jorgecar » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:17 pm

No news?
Mine doesn't have a VDC switch, nor traction control...if you get another ECU, maybe that would work for me too...keep us posted-

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”