From Texas to N.C. and back.

Life on the road is what automobiles were made for, share your road trip stories and pictures here.

Moderator: volvite

BMXPath

From Texas to N.C. and back.

Postby BMXPath » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:59 am

Took my PFinder to North Carolina in October to visit my mother. From Texas, I drove to Dallas and got on IH-30. Hit IH-40 in Little Rock, Ark. and took IH-40 all the way to Durham/ Raleigh.

I used the cruise control as much as possible, generally going between 70 and 75 mph. From Austin to Dallas, I averaged 26 mpg! From there, my fuel average dropped to about 24. Btw, I have a 2wd SE.

I was really curious how the gas mileage would be thru the Smoky Mountains in east Tenn/ west NC. Surprisingly, my mileage wasnt effected much thru the mountains. I guess going up, then coasting down, kinda averages out. I still averaged about 22 mpg. I did reset the trip computer about 1/2 way between Nasheville and Knoxville... the terrain starting getting "hilly" after Nasheville.

For anyone that hasnt seen one, the next 2 pics are of an emergency truck stop on a steep grade thru the mountains. Basically, it is a dirt exit ramp with soft piles of dirt at the end to stop a big truck if the brakes go out.

I can only imagine what the rush would be to have to use one of these when brakes go out on an 18 wheeler. :shock:

And, here is a scenic pic that I took while driving...

I am coming out of a tunnel that goes thru a mountain. This is near Asheville, NC.

Ever see Kudzu vine? This stuff grows like mad in Tennessee. As you can see, it will completely cover anything in its path.

Last edited by BMXPath on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:01 pm

nice... :D

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:02 am

The drive through the mountains on I -40 is fun. I came back from Nashville without stopping and had to pee so bad but no where to stop till i got off the mountain. I could barely walk or stand up after driving 6 hours. I'm gonna go back that way to Memphis in the fall to take the Pathfinder on its first road trip. I usually fly out there, but since I got a new car I should put some use to it and plane tickets are starting to get outrageous.

Return to “Roaaad Trip!!!”