Check engine light, code P0340

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

BMXPath

Check engine light, code P0340

Postby BMXPath » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:16 pm

This morning my Pathy died twice within a block of my house as I was coming home. No misfire, no rough idle... just quietly died. Started right back up both times.

20 minutes later I am on my way to meet my parents for breakfast, I get about 5 miles from my house and the check engine light comes on, along with the "slip" and "VDC Off" light. They all stay on steady (no flashing or blinks). I was accelerating from a stop light when the lights came on. The engine didnt die but it hesitated like it was going to.

I pulled into a nearby Advance Auto Parts and scanned for codes... P0340, cam position sensor bank A sensor 1. After scanning it, the engine would crank but not start. I let it sit a few minutes and it started but with some difficulty. Once it started, it ran fine and I drove it home and parked it.

A google search, along with a search on this board, hasnt revealed much. Anyone with this experience out there?

Also, the VQ40 has 2 crank position sensors, one on each cylinder head. Looking at the factory service manual, the drivers side is Bank 2, passenger side is Bank 1. Is Bank A the same as Bank 1? All parts listings show 2 different parts #'s, one listed for left and one for the right.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Check engine light, code P0340

Postby disallow » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:24 pm

BMXPath wrote:This morning my Pathy died twice within a block of my house as I was coming home. No misfire, no rough idle... just quietly died. Started right back up both times.

20 minutes later I am on my way to meet my parents for breakfast, I get about 5 miles from my house and the check engine light comes on, along with the "slip" and "VDC Off" light. They all stay on steady (no flashing or blinks). I was accelerating from a stop light when the lights came on. The engine didnt die but it hesitated like it was going to.

I pulled into a nearby Advance Auto Parts and scanned for codes... P0340, cam position sensor bank A sensor 1. After scanning it, the engine would crank but not start. I let it sit a few minutes and it started but with some difficulty. Once it started, it ran fine and I drove it home and parked it.

A google search, along with a search on this board, hasnt revealed much. Anyone with this experience out there?

Also, the VQ40 has 2 crank position sensors, one on each cylinder head. Looking at the factory service manual, the drivers side is Bank 2, passenger side is Bank 1. Is Bank A the same as Bank 1? All parts listings show 2 different parts #'s, one listed for left and one for the right.
IPDM?

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 pm

I replaced the IPDM about 10 months ago. The symptoms were quite different. IPDM doesnt set a code either.

danny

Postby danny » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:44 pm

I have an 05 with around 92xxx miles on it and it did the same thing last wed. I was pulling out of the driveway and it died three times and then has been running fine since. took it to my mechanic and had the same code... cam sensor. I haven't repaired it yet thinking it might have something to do with the ipdm. I posted under the subject ipdm.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:01 pm

BMXPath wrote:I replaced the IPDM about 10 months ago. The symptoms were quite different. IPDM doesnt set a code either.
My thought process was that if the IPDM isn't working properly, it could cause codes for sensors not getting the right power.

But since its probably not IPDM, I would wait for the code to come back. If it recurs, I would replace said sensor and cross my fingers.

t

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:29 pm

I am replacing Bank 1 cam position sensor at this moment. Since the dealer had both sides in stock, it must be reasonably common. I am only doing the passenger side for now since it seems to be the one setting the code, and I am kinda broke this week to buy both. :(

The passenger side has to be the hardest to get to due to the upper intake... similar to changing the plugs. I decided to remove the intake since I couldnt even see it with everything still together.

Here is a pic of the upper intake off, for those that might be curious what it looks like.

One thing for sure, next time I change the spark plugs, I am removing the upper intake! It took me a little over an hour to get the intake off this time. I took my time and was careful with removing all necessary hoses and clamps. I imagine I could get it off next time in half the time.

I will report in the next day or so as to whether I fixed the problem.

danny

Postby danny » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:40 pm

So how did this work out?

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:29 pm

BMXPath wrote:I am replacing Bank 1 cam position sensor at this moment. Since the dealer had both sides in stock, it must be reasonably common. I am only doing the passenger side for now since it seems to be the one setting the code, and I am kinda broke this week to buy both. :(

The passenger side has to be the hardest to get to due to the upper intake... similar to changing the plugs. I decided to remove the intake since I couldnt even see it with everything still together.

Here is a pic of the upper intake off, for those that might be curious what it looks like.

One thing for sure, next time I change the spark plugs, I am removing the upper intake! It took me a little over an hour to get the intake off this time. I took my time and was careful with removing all necessary hoses and clamps. I imagine I could get it off next time in half the time.

I will report in the next day or so as to whether I fixed the problem.
Now is the time to install a manifold spacer! He he!

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=3971

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:09 pm

danny wrote:So how did this work out?
It is running great. No probs since replacing the sensor.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:10 pm

pawjr74 wrote: Now is the time to install a manifold spacer! He he!

I thought about that... too bad $265 is just too much for me right now. Sure is alot to spend for a flat piece of aluminum and some gaskets. :shock:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:58 pm

BMXPath wrote:
pawjr74 wrote: Now is the time to install a manifold spacer! He he!

I thought about that... too bad $265 is just too much for me right now. Sure is alot to spend for a flat piece of aluminum and some gaskets. :shock:
Don't forget about the longer bolts!

Based on my experience with machinst shops, I would say he is either getting taken for a ride, or marking up over 100%.

t

path1234

Postby path1234 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:09 pm

Where exactly is the sensor located in the pic Passenger side... ?

danny

Postby danny » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:48 pm

did u have to get a new intake gasket or is the old one reusable? mine only threw the code once but i think i may change it before it fails totally. thanks for the info, it's very helpful.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:34 am

danny wrote:did u have to get a new intake gasket or is the old one reusable? mine only threw the code once but i think i may change it before it fails totally. thanks for the info, it's very helpful.
I reused my old gaskets. I didnt want to but I forgot to get new ones before doing the job. I would recommend getting new ones just so you dont have to do it twice.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:36 am

path1234 wrote:Where exactly is the sensor located in the pic Passenger side... ?
Bank 1 sensor is on the back side of the cylinder head, near where the arrow is pointing.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”