rear storage

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

cannonball

rear storage

Postby cannonball » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:31 am

I've been thinking the rear of the pathfinder is lacking as far as storage cubbies go. I dont use the 3rd row seats... at all, and I doubt that in the next few years I will. So I'm thinking of removing the seats and making a rear storage compartment that fits there and flush with the rear deck. I plan on it being a removable unit so the rear seats can be reinstalled if needed.

Ideas? Comments?

disallow
Site Admin

Re: rear storage

Postby disallow » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:33 am

cannonball wrote:I've been thinking the rear of the pathfinder is lacking as far as storage cubbies go. I dont use the 3rd row seats... at all, and I doubt that in the next few years I will. So I'm thinking of removing the seats and making a rear storage compartment that fits there and flush with the rear deck. I plan on it being a removable unit so the rear seats can be reinstalled if needed.

Ideas? Comments?
Sounds like a good project. I already use some of the space in that area for booster cables, snow brushes etc. I do occasionally use the 3rd row for seating though, so depending on the ease of removal and reinstallation, this may not work for me.

t

cannonball

Postby cannonball » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 am

disallow wrote:
cannonball wrote:I've been thinking the rear of the pathfinder is lacking as far as storage cubbies go. I dont use the 3rd row seats... at all, and I doubt that in the next few years I will. So I'm thinking of removing the seats and making a rear storage compartment that fits there and flush with the rear deck. I plan on it being a removable unit so the rear seats can be reinstalled if needed.

Ideas? Comments?
Sounds like a good project. I already use some of the space in that area for booster cables, snow brushes etc. I do occasionally use the 3rd row for seating though, so depending on the ease of removal and reinstallation, this may not work for me.

t
i just ran out to take some measurements and after looking at it it looks like it would just use the oem mounting points for the seats. there's 6 mounting points, and only 4 that i would use. so figure 6 bolts for the seat and 4 bolts for the unit.

it looks like there is quite a bit of room available too.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:06 pm

cannonball wrote: i just ran out to take some measurements and after looking at it it looks like it would just use the oem mounting points for the seats. there's 6 mounting points, and only 4 that i would use. so figure 6 bolts for the seat and 4 bolts for the unit.

If I needed the extra room, that is exactly what I would do. A frame made out of square aluminum tubing would look best, although wood would also work. What are your plans for framing and the exterior shell of it? Regardless of what you end up with, it would be great if you could post a pdf or drawing with all the measurements of the finished product.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:59 pm

I've been thinking about this also can't wait to see what you come up with! If i go this route it will have to be level with the floor since i sleep back there while camping. Take lots of pictures if you can.

HerbsPF

Rear Storage

Postby HerbsPF » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:10 pm

Sounds like a great modification. I wished that you could purchase the PF without the 3rd row seats. Only way was to buy the base model. Maybe Nissan will take note for next years model for us guys that don't need the 3rd row.

cannonball

Postby cannonball » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:19 pm

NVSteve wrote:
cannonball wrote: i just ran out to take some measurements and after looking at it it looks like it would just use the oem mounting points for the seats. there's 6 mounting points, and only 4 that i would use. so figure 6 bolts for the seat and 4 bolts for the unit.

If I needed the extra room, that is exactly what I would do. A frame made out of square aluminum tubing would look best, although wood would also work. What are your plans for framing and the exterior shell of it? Regardless of what you end up with, it would be great if you could post a pdf or drawing with all the measurements of the finished product.
i dont know how to make a pdf, but i'm trying my hand at google sketchup. i've got a rough (measurements are off) sketch of what it could look like.

I'm going to pull the seats tomorrow morning and figure out exactly how i'm going to go about doing it.

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Great idea! When you frame it up, it might be a tad expensive, you could use black King Star Board. Very strong, durable, light, washable, and will look good cause the black has a texture like the plastic panels in the back.

You might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else but here is what I'm talking about
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... erralID=NA

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Re: Rear Storage

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 pm

HerbsPF wrote:Sounds like a great modification. I wished that you could purchase the PF without the 3rd row seats. Only way was to buy the base model. Maybe Nissan will take note for next years model for us guys that don't need the 3rd row.
I dont know about that i've never seen one without a 3rd row and i have a base model..

cannonball

Postby cannonball » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Storm4.0 wrote:Great idea! When you frame it up, it might be a tad expensive, you could use black King Star Board. Very strong, durable, light, washable, and will look good cause the black has a texture like the plastic panels in the back.

You might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else but here is what I'm talking about
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... erralID=NA
wow, that is a bit expensive, that would work really well for the top. (i have the grey carpet though) I think I'm going to carpet the top of mine to match the interior.

HerbsPF

Storage

Postby HerbsPF » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:01 pm

GOTGOO. You are right . I was thinking about another SUV> Sorry

dbetterred

Postby dbetterred » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:46 pm

I removed my rear seat about a year and a half ago. I just cut some 3/4 inch MDF into the appropriate shape to fit flush with the existing floor. I supported it with some 2x4's cut to the correct length in strategic places, mainly in the middle to prevent sag. out on the very edges the floor (by the rear door opening) slants down towards the front of the truck, I tapered the MDF to sit flush there and screwed a small piece of wood to the truck to supply a stop, otherwise the MDF wants to slide forward.

There is an amazing amount of space under there. It's not real deep but lots of room.

It is an easy afternoon project. I put the rear seats in the basement of the house and now the cats sleep on and use them as a scratching post. :x

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:45 pm

do something crazy like the aussie PF guys...
http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php? ... age#p25917

~mike

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:45 pm

last year i was thinking to remove the middle row of seats and keep the 3rd row.

awesome legroom, and was thinking of putting in a mini-table and maybe a ps3/lcd on a lifter motor.

cannonball

Postby cannonball » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:25 pm

havent updated this in a few days. work got busy and i wasnt able to start on it. I've decided I'm going to do a metal tub with a wooden top. i'm planning on retaining the function of the spring flaps so there is no gap still. this may take me a while to finish as i'm pretty anal about how things work out and plan on putting my rear seats back in so the trunk function is never hindered.

will update with pictures as this progresses.

MonkeyMike: as for the crazy aussie guys. I could easily do a shelving system but that would defeat the purpose of retaining the trunk space. I often carry large objects in the back and need the space.

Mar1: for comfortability in the long haul i think the 2nd row of seats beat the 3rd row in every way. maybe removing the center seat and installing a table of somesort would be cool. just my $.02

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”