2013 Pathfinder will be the re-design

Any topics related to 2013+ R52

Moderator: volvite

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:51 pm

I usually buy my vehicles 2 years old and sell them at 200k or 10 years, whatever comes first. at this point, 2015 looks sooner than 200k, so if there isn't a nissan body on frame SUV, then damn i may have to go pickup. Tahoes are just too soccer mom for me right now. Please don't ruin my favourite SUV nissan...

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:21 am

NVSteve wrote:Time to revive this one. More speculation:
Nissan Pathfinder 2013 has already been decided, but company officials have yet to comment on what direction the next-generation SUV will take. The internal debate at Nissan has been whether to keep the Pathfinder on its truck-derived body-on-frame platform or to switch to a car-based platform, transforming the Pathfinder into a true CUV. Change is nothing new to the Pathfinder as it has ridden on both platforms. When the Pathfinder was originally launched in 1986, it rode on a body-on-frame platform. When the SUV was redesigned in 1997, it went to a unibody construction. For 2005, the Pathfinder was redesigned on the same platform that underpins the full size Nissan Titan pickup truck. the Pathfinder is based on Nissan’s F-Alpha truck platform, it’s not likely to get any major changes until the company finalizes its full-size Titan replacement.

Nissan could also develop two versions of the Pathfinder: a more refined version for North American and Europe, and a model more adapt to off-road conditions in undeveloped regions.

The model headed for North America and Europe will likely ride on the same front-wheel drive platform that underpins the Nissan Maxima, Altima, Murano and Quest – a platform that still allows for all-wheel drive. Nissan is expected to announce its decision later this year, but the new Pathfinder is still a few years off. Despite the Pathfinder’s possible switch to a car-based platform, Nissan has no such plans for the Pathfinder’s bigger brother, the Armada SUV.
If any of the following were true, I'd opt for a new Xterra. #1 and #3 just don't cut it for me & I can't see enough of #2.

http://jeffldunham.blogspot.com/2011/07 ... inder.html
all three of the cars in the photos are old and already on the streets.

#1 is a 2010 nissan patrol
#2 is the Mark Ecko redesigned 2006 pathfinder
#3 is the 2008 nissan x-trail

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:00 am

The consensus is that Nissian will be waiting to update the Pathfinder until they have finalized their new truck or Titan replacement. It is pretty evident that it will end up on a truck frame again. Not to worry, we will still have a nice truck in 2013.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:51 am

If this is going to be a 2013 Nissan already knows plenty about what theyr'e doing. You don't just make a decision and start production on an all new model in a short period of time. A solid year of tooling and setup is needed AFTER all the major details are worked out. I hope it's more of the Patrol route.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:07 am

i actually like number 1 minus the fender grille. it would look nice with the right rims of course.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:00 am

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:i actually like number 1 minus the fender grille. it would look nice with the right rims of course.
its excellent and i love it, its a 2010 Patrol V8 5.6L-410hp and we got tons already on the roads here

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:18 am

mar1 wrote: all three of the cars in the photos are old and already on the streets.

#1 is a 2010 nissan patrol
#2 is the Mark Ecko redesigned 2006 pathfinder
#3 is the 2008 nissan x-trail
I only threw this one out there because who knows what will happen with the North American market. Since they are assembled here, they could easily go with something similar they already have outside this market.

If 2013 is the actual new model year, then we should see something anytime after July 2012. Because of all the upcoming Fed mpg requirements, I would assume that a new engine will also make a debut. I just really, really hope that a diesel will finally make it to our market. With a MANUAL transmission.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 am

would love a manual.

we only get the 4.0 auto, not even the 5.6 :cry:

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:38 am

Very slim chance that we would see a diesel or manual the US.

Not enough demand and too costly re-engineering for the diesel to adapt to the US standards and manuals are not in demand either hence the Automatic with Manual select.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:49 am

Based on some digging I've done, I have my doubts that 2013 is going to be the new model. No major redesign since 2005.....that may be some type of record.

If they would just put a decent set of projector headlights in the thing I might buy a new one.

redwing

Postby redwing » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:51 pm

coom1986 wrote:I think its still too early to predict which route they'll go,,but damn i hope they dont make it a crossover thing..If they do,im sure they'll loose alot of market..Example, Africa, Australia, Middle east, Even parts of Europe who want vehicles that can seat 7 and are still good ol Trucks!!

Nissan i hope your reading this!! Dont make it a crossover!!
Seating for 7?? Maybe if your all under 10 years of age!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:08 am

hfrez wrote:Very slim chance that we would see a diesel or manual the US.

Not enough demand and too costly re-engineering for the diesel to adapt to the US standards and manuals are not in demand either hence the Automatic with Manual select.
I'm not sure what happened here to get away from manual transmissions except that auto used to be considered a luxury. I wonder how many people in the US can even drive a manual.

Well, they will have to do something. The current engine will not help them meet the mpg requirements, which means either a soccer mom redesign & ability to use a smaller engine, or a complete redesign of the existing engine or something new. From what I have seen reported, we will be seeing quite a few diesels in the next couple of years, even by the big 3.

kelleyo

Postby kelleyo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:17 am

I'm not sure what happened here to get away from manual transmissions except that auto used to be considered a luxury. I wonder how many people in the US can even drive a manual.
The real irony is that my 07 Pathy is an automatic but my sedan has a 6 speed :shock:

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 am

The real story behind the manual is only a little bit about demand. The rest is EPA. The emissions (cold start) are higher and mpg are lower on manual transmissions so manufacturers take a penalty by building them.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:35 am

That is not necessarily true Skinny2. You can get better MPG on a standard tranny over automatic any day. Check some manufacturer sites that offer both in a vehicle and you'll see that the standard is usually rated at a MPG more than the automatic. An example is the VW Golf. A standard 5 speed returns 33mpg and the high tech 6 speed Tiptronic with sports mode returns 31mpg. With the newest transmissions that has equalized to some degree but you would need a 6 to 8 speed automatic with dual clutch systems to have that bonus which you will mostly find on German cars now a days. Even CVT transmissions have not quite made it to that level yet.

On the diesel issue - I don’t see any of the European or Asian diesels coming to the US anytime soon. Our diesel prices are much too high to rectify having a diesel over a well-designed gas engine on low grade fuel. For example the VW Golf two door 2.5l is $18000 but the same Golf in TDI format is $24000. At today’s prices if you are paying $3.13 for 87 octane and get 33mpg and drive 10000 miles a year it would cost you approx. $960 for gas. Same scenario at $3.77 for diesel with 42mpg is about $898 and you have to pay a premium to buy the car with a diesel. You save $62 a year in fuel but you have to offset the $6000 premium for buying the TDI which will take you 8 years to recoup. Off course this is just an example If you were to drive more miles a year you payoff would be better and if you get a tax break that helps too but for the average citizen this is not the best of deals.

In Europe 50% of all vehicles on the road are diesel and the price for diesel fuel has gone up over the last few years over there too. People are now looking at gas engines again because there is no great benefit in having the diesel anymore. In addition, the Europeans have to pay a tax penalty for driving diesel because of the green effect. Diesels are much worse in pollution control then gas engines

Consumer Reports made a study a few years back with the Hybrids and found that it would take you over 20 years to recoup your dollars for buying the more economical car.

Simply said the diesel and hybrid technology has to be offered to consumers at a much lower cost before it will take in this market.

Return to “R52 General Chat”