After Market Air Intake kits... Which ones are ya'll using?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BMXPath

After Market Air Intake kits... Which ones are ya'll using?

Postby BMXPath » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:05 pm

I have seen posts here and there about what some of ya' have put on your P-Finders for some better breathing.

Lets see if we can get 'em in one topic...

Which ones?
Noticable performance/ mileage improvements?
Pics?
Specs?
Opinions?

Thanks.

Scot

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:52 am

I replaced the stock paper filter with a K&N. I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever with power or MPG. I bought the recharging kit with it, so it should last me quite a while. But, I'm not going to pull it out until the end of winter and see just how good/bad it was at filtering. IMO, it is not worth it, although it is supposed to last as long as the car.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:00 am

Sorry, I am talking about the aftermarket intake kits that replace the pipe from the throttle body, and the entire air box.

Btw, I have replaced the stock air filter with a K&N also. Tonight I will find out the difference it makes. I am going to the drag strip and I have a brand new OEM filter and my just cleaned K&N. I will do many passes down the 1/4, swapping out the filters periodically. I will post my results tomorrow.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:19 pm

BMXPath wrote:Sorry, I am talking about the aftermarket intake kits that replace the pipe from the throttle body, and the entire air box.
I figured as much, but since you only mentioned "breathing" in the OP, I figured anything was game. I'd be curious to see someone post their findings from the so-called cold air intakes. Or the real cold air intakes, aka snorkels, from some of our recent Australian members.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Breathing? How about replacing the Y pipe with something that doesn't resemble the large intestine. Take a look at your bends the next time your down there.
I replaced my paper with a K&N. I had a K&N FIPK in my ZJ, made th V8 sound alot better but thats about it...

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:41 pm

I have thought about the Y pipe too. Doesnt seem like anyone has rock solid results with the aftermarket setups though...
Power: Lost 1HP and 4lb-ft of torque at the wheels. Doh. Waiting for an email back from Gibson for "input".
Some others like the way it sounds, but thats it. :?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:54 pm

I agree the after market choices are weak especially the Gibson/Hills Brothers Muffler. Way to go Gibson, you took a completely flat and tucked away undercarraige and throw a trash can up under it leaving it sticking out to snag stuff...
I'd love to see Borla get off their keisters on this one they had a dual exhaust for the full sized 5.6 V8 vehicles almost immediately. It's been 3 years still nothing for the Path. I know you can't do a dual without relocating the spare but cumon...

But yeah I'm just talking about the y pipe and leaving everything the cat back the stock

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:24 pm

I'd stay away from that K&N stuff. I recently converted back to stock cellulose after using a K&N drop-in for about 10k miles. I don't remember where I saw it, but someone did some filtration efficiency tests where the K&N let a lot of dirt by. There's also the opportunity to screw your MAF sensor if you over-oil the filter.

K&N is known for high flow applications, especially racing. You might get a little more air flow, but at the expense of engine longevity and durability. Besides, the change in performance, if there was any, was not even perceivable. Not worth reducing your engine life, IMO.

The stock airbox is pretty large on the R51 Pathy, but I'm sure that a CAI would help. How much is the question. I'm not about to spend $200 and more for a measly 5 hp.

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:50 am

I have the Gibson System & the AFE cold air intake... I have not had any problems with either... These were installed several years ago when they first came out... I think the two work well together... Seems to be a lot faster without much noise... There should be pictures in my signature........... Triffid

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:58 pm

I have the Volant intake with snorkel (http://www.volant.com/idetail.asp?ID=485) and Gibson exhaust. I love the Volant, but am not particularly happy with the Gibson.

RBOWWOW

Postby RBOWWOW » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:25 pm

LittleStevie wrote:I'd stay away from that K&N stuff. I recently converted back to stock cellulose after using a K&N drop-in for about 10k miles. I don't remember where I saw it, but someone did some filtration efficiency tests where the K&N let a lot of dirt by. There's also the opportunity to screw your MAF sensor if you over-oil the filter.

K&N is known for high flow applications, especially racing. You might get a little more air flow, but at the expense of engine longevity and durability. Besides, the change in performance, if there was any, was not even perceivable. Not worth reducing your engine life, IMO.

The stock airbox is pretty large on the R51 Pathy, but I'm sure that a CAI would help. How much is the question. I'm not about to spend $200 and more for a measly 5 hp.
I jsut got the Fram Air Hog - will advise after some miles.

BamaRed

Postby BamaRed » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:49 pm

I am running a AirAid kit on my Pathy. Noticeable growl when hard acceleration and feels like she has a touch more snap in the throttle. Not sure if that is me or her. I have also notice a small, almost 1MPG increase in the fuel mileage.

Got the AirAid kit on Ebay for $200.

-BR

bati

Postby bati » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:31 pm

I'am also thinking of buying a cold Intake for pathfinder...

which do you guys recommend?

thanks,

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:48 pm

Update...

Today I ordered the K&N FIPK cold air kit. K&N claims a 14.27 hp gain @ 5700 rpm at the rear wheels.

After alot of research I chose the K&N for a couple of reasons...

1. Of all the companies offering cold air kits, K&N was one of the few with specific results, including a dyno chart, for the 4.0 Nissan engine. I didnt want to spend 2 to 3 hundred bucks on something that claims,
"up to X# hp gain"... For that kinda money, you better have the specific results for my vehicle! :x

2. The claimed hp gain is on the higher end of all the ones I researched, so I hope I get something at least close to their claim.

K&N's test vehicle was an '05 Frontier. The same part number fits the Pathfinder and Xterra.

The place I ordered it from had it in stock, I am supposed to get it by friday.

I am going to the drag strip next wednesday with some friends. I will be back with my results. We shall see what kind of improvement I get.

BTW, my best 1/4 mile times have been a 15.30 @ 88.90 and a 15.31 @89.20. Stock engine with a K&N filter element.

bati

Postby bati » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:53 pm

BMXPath wrote:Update...

Today I ordered the K&N FIPK cold air kit. K&N claims a 14.27 hp gain @ 5700 rpm at the rear wheels.

After alot of research I chose the K&N for a couple of reasons...

1. Of all the companies offering cold air kits, K&N was one of the few with specific results, including a dyno chart, for the 4.0 Nissan engine. I didnt want to spend 2 to 3 hundred bucks on something that claims,
"up to X# hp gain"... For that kinda money, you better have the specific results for my vehicle! :x

2. The claimed hp gain is on the higher end of all the ones I researched, so I hope I get something at least close to their claim.

K&N's test vehicle was an '05 Frontier. The same part number fits the Pathfinder and Xterra.

The place I ordered it from had it in stock, I am supposed to get it by friday.

I am going to the drag strip next wednesday with some friends. I will be back with my results. We shall see what kind of improvement I get.

BTW, my best 1/4 mile times have been a 15.30 @ 88.90 and a 15.31 @89.20. Stock engine with a K&N filter element.
When you get your results of the track can you post pics of K&N cold air on your pathfinder...
:)
thanks,

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”