That much difference in clearance?

Use that 4x4 switch on your Path and go get dirty!

Moderator: volvite

07Finder

That much difference in clearance?

Postby 07Finder » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:56 am

I am very happy with my 07 'finder and I'm not into off roading on such a scale as I used to be (Or I would have bought a 4Runner, Land Cruiser or Land Rover).

But, it seems like the R51 is not designed to do any real off roading. Just after looking at many pages of posts regarding mudding and off roading, other than slopes and mud holes, it seems that not much else is tackled. I'm not bashing, beleive me, I own one (and wanted it). I am just wondering is there that much of a difference between for example a Toyota 4Runner of the same year and our R51's?

I'd like to also get input from those out there that have done the lifts and such to see whether the 4Runner/Pathfinder true off road capabilites are equaled out when this happens. (I am only using the 4Runner as an example because I had a 95 that was VERY capable off road)

richardekirby

Re: That much difference in clearance?

Postby richardekirby » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:18 pm

07Finder wrote:I am very happy with my 07 'finder and I'm not into off roading on such a scale as I used to be (Or I would have bought a 4Runner, Land Cruiser or Land Rover).

But, it seems like the R51 is not designed to do any real off roading. Just after looking at many pages of posts regarding mudding and off roading, other than slopes and mud holes, it seems that not much else is tackled. I'm not bashing, beleive me, I own one (and wanted it). I am just wondering is there that much of a difference between for example a Toyota 4Runner of the same year and our R51's?

I'd like to also get input from those out there that have done the lifts and such to see whether the 4Runner/Pathfinder true off road capabilites are equaled out when this happens. (I am only using the 4Runner as an example because I had a 95 that was VERY capable off road)
To answer your original question, no, there is not much difference in clearance (3/10") or anything else performance wise between the Pathfinder and 4Runner. They both have independent front and rear suspension which limits most new SUVs from being true or hardcore off-roaders. But let me assure you, it is very capable off-road. I've been in many different types of terrain and it has surprised me every time. Whether it's been going thru deep sloppy mud or a very steep climb or descent at 13000 ft in snow and slush, it has not failed me and I doubt a new 4Runner would do any better.

I'm not sure what configuration your '95 was, but I would guess it had a solid or live rear axle. In '95 the Pathy did also. In terms of rock crawling that makes a difference. Suspension travel, not only ground clearance, determine true off-road capabilities. You just can't get very good travel with any kind of independent suspension.

07Finder

Postby 07Finder » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks for the input. To be honest I wasn't bashing the 'finder. I'm not really doubting that it's capable, it's just that all the posts I've seen with pictures of off roading on the forum here have been pretty mediocre when compared to what I've seen on other forums under the off road adventures category.

I appreciate your reply. Again, I'm not looking to be a rock jock or anything like that but... ok, I'll give you an example. The gentleman with the maroon '07 (I believe) went to a place with his buddy with a lifted Jeep Cherokee for off roading and it showed a pic of his buddy pulling up on a mound roughly 3 feet high, no steeper than a 12/12 pitch and the pic of the 'finder showed him barely on grade and he states that his front bumper would be scraping if he had went any further.

This then raised the current question posted by me on this thread. I'm thinking at the time seeing those pictures that either he was inexperienced or the Pathfinder isn't capable for more than smaller obstacles.

Also I did note that he pulled his friend out of a jam (great, I think 6k is figgin awesome for a midsized SUV for pulling ability).

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:09 am

07Finder wrote:Thanks for the input. To be honest I wasn't bashing the 'finder. I'm not really doubting that it's capable, it's just that all the posts I've seen with pictures of off roading on the forum here have been pretty mediocre when compared to what I've seen on other forums under the off road adventures category.

I appreciate your reply. Again, I'm not looking to be a rock jock or anything like that but... ok, I'll give you an example. The gentleman with the maroon '07 (I believe) went to a place with his buddy with a lifted Jeep Cherokee for off roading and it showed a pic of his buddy pulling up on a mound roughly 3 feet high, no steeper than a 12/12 pitch and the pic of the 'finder showed him barely on grade and he states that his front bumper would be scraping if he had went any further.

This then raised the current question posted by me on this thread. I'm thinking at the time seeing those pictures that either he was inexperienced or the Pathfinder isn't capable for more than smaller obstacles.
Also I did note that he pulled his friend out of a jam (great, I think 6k is figgin awesome for a midsized SUV for pulling ability).
I know the pics you are talking about and I had the same questions. Some people don't push their vehicle to their capabily or just don't know how to off-road. Sometimes it's not a question of what the rig can do, but what the driver can do with it. I hate that the Pathy has all that plastic on the front and rear, but the 4Runner is the same way. I'm removing that stuff as soon as I can. I just hope a rock or stump doesn't do it for me before I get the chance.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:47 pm

07Finder wrote:
I appreciate your reply. Again, I'm not looking to be a rock jock or anything like that but... ok, I'll give you an example. The gentleman with the maroon '07 (I believe) went to a place with his buddy with a lifted Jeep Cherokee for off roading and it showed a pic of his buddy pulling up on a mound roughly 3 feet high, no steeper than a 12/12 pitch and the pic of the 'finder showed him barely on grade and he states that his front bumper would be scraping if he had went any further..
That was me. One thing you have to understand is the cherokee has. 6.5in lift on 35s and he has no front bumper that hangs down or anything else at that point that would get in the way. Also the fact that he has A LOT shorter wheelbase then the pathfinder.. Due to me being at stock height/tire size.due to the angle of the mound and the fact that we pathys have a front number that hangs down pretty low imo so going head on at it I was only willing to go so far before I started to push the bumper.in and cause damage to the truck. I don't have pics of it but I was able to get it up higher going in at a slight angle. And yes im new to wheelin a truck so I only went as far as I felt comfortable. Im lifting it within the next 2-3 weeks so it should help boost my confidence and take it a little further.
Last edited by NYPathfinder on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

07Finder

Postby 07Finder » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:26 pm

Richard, I know what you're talking about. The first time I went off roading (I was the passenger) in my buddy's Rover the pucker factor was way up from some of the stuff that thing was able to do. So I will agree with you that most folks don't perhaps want to push their vehicle to the limits and test (or break) their vehicle.

NYPathfinder, I really wasn't trying to bash you. I appreciate your input into the conversation. The first thing I was taught about off roading was to attack all major inclines at a slight angle (your vehicles articulation will take care of most any attack angle you need). Also, your buddy's jeep was heavily modified compared to stock. Honestly you're example was the latest series of pictures I had looked at that day, so it was freshest in my mind. Trust me, you're not the only reason I posted this thread. As I mentioned at the outset, my opinion was being based solely on pictoral evidence I was seeing on the posts.

I might just give this thing a whirl at the Sand Caves next weekend if it doesn't rain from now until then. If not then I will definitely do it some time this year and bring the video and still cameras (time is a definite factor in my life now (family and kids)).

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:27 pm

07Finder wrote:Thanks for the input. To be honest I wasn't bashing the 'finder. I'm not really doubting that it's capable, it's just that all the posts I've seen with pictures of off roading on the forum here have been pretty mediocre when compared to what I've seen on other forums under the off road adventures category.

Here are a couple videos that best show what the Pathy is capable of. I've had mine in similar situations, but I was not able to video it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVu-rks ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJyl6KmR ... re=related

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 am

richardekirby wrote:To answer your original question, no, there is not much difference in clearance (3/10") or anything else performance wise between the Pathfinder and 4Runner.
I second this. There really is zilch in terms of difference between the two. I've been on a number of ass puckering roads, and I've only been stopped once, but that was because of lack of clearance.

Unlike some of the forums out there full of hard core 4x4 guys, whose main objective in life is to spend money on their rig, I'd say well over 90% of the members here are more of a "typical" everyday driver. A bunch of us do actually get out and beat on our rigs, but we don't make it our main purpose in life. I've hiked a number of the severe off road trails in Moab & have had the opportunity to see what die hards really enjoy. All I can say is they can have it. Totally not my thing to spend 6 hours driving 10 miles, but I have a couple of good friends who just can't get enough of it.

I'm usually by myself, or with one other vehicle. The last thing on my mind is posing for a picture in a difficult spot. In fact, all of my pictures are taken after I've found a place to safely park. Most of the pictures you see on other hardcore forums involving obstacles are taken by people other than the driver of the vehicle in the photo.
You just can't get very good travel with any kind of independent suspension.
Sorry, Richard, but I have to disagree. The problem is that if you have a true Baja type independent suspension, you get yourself into the non-street legal territory, although I'm sure there are still some states out there that will license anything on wheels.
Last edited by NVSteve on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 am

NYPathfinder wrote:it should hemp boost my confidence
Freudian slip?

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:33 am

NVSteve wrote:
NYPathfinder wrote:it should hemp boost my confidence
Freudian slip?
lol I was on my phone when i posted that.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:45 am

NVSteve wrote:
You just can't get very good travel with any kind of independent suspension.
Sorry, Richard, but I have to disagree. The problem is that if you have a true Baja type independent suspension, you get yourself into the non-street legal territory, although I'm sure there are still some states out there that will license anything on wheels.
I should have been more specific. I meant in terms of production vehicles. With the exception of the H1, independent suspension has been the off-road downfall of many vehicles like our Pathfinders, 4Runners, Grand Cherokees, full sized trucks, ect. It limits the amount of lift that can be gained without expensive mods and the amount of suspension travel. I have seen purpose built machines with independent suspension that had crazy amounts of travel, but nothing stock.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:00 pm

richardekirby wrote: I should have been more specific. I meant in terms of production vehicles. With the exception of the H1, independent suspension has been the off-road downfall of many vehicles like our Pathfinders, 4Runners, Grand Cherokees, full sized trucks, ect. It limits the amount of lift that can be gained without expensive mods and the amount of suspension travel. I have seen purpose built machines with independent suspension that had crazy amounts of travel, but nothing stock.
Gotcha. I kind of miss being able to buy shackles, add-a-leafs, etc. for a few dollars a pop, offering up 1/2" to 10" of lift. I'm curious to see what happens with the next gen Pathfinder & Xterra (if they even have one). I fully expect the next X to have this type of articulation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_F7QrR4 ... r_embedded

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:15 pm

NVSteve wrote:
richardekirby wrote: I should have been more specific. I meant in terms of production vehicles. With the exception of the H1, independent suspension has been the off-road downfall of many vehicles like our Pathfinders, 4Runners, Grand Cherokees, full sized trucks, ect. It limits the amount of lift that can be gained without expensive mods and the amount of suspension travel. I have seen purpose built machines with independent suspension that had crazy amounts of travel, but nothing stock.
Gotcha. I kind of miss being able to buy shackles, add-a-leafs, etc. for a few dollars a pop, offering up 1/2" to 10" of lift. I'm curious to see what happens with the next gen Pathfinder & Xterra (if they even have one). I fully expect the next X to have this type of articulation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_F7QrR4 ... r_embedded
If so, sign me up. That thing is insane. It pretty much makes the RTI ramp obsolete.

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:27 am

I will take one also. that thing is insane.

07Finder

Postby 07Finder » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:21 am

I agree with you NVSteve. I have a family, house, full time job. I don't have the money or desire to spend the time to make it worth spending the money on major mods to go up a mountain side. I just like the comfort knowing that if I did want to go in the woods I could. The wifey wants to wait until it gets a bit warmer to take our friends and kids up to the trail.

I am one of those though that LOVE the spending 6 hours going 10 miles. It really is a fun experience (IMO). Appreciate your input.

Return to “Offroad Adventures”