oil leak...oh where to start??

General off-roading discussions...what's in your trail kit?

Moderators: volvite, cruzstyle

problematique

oil leak...oh where to start??

Postby problematique » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:26 pm

Hey guys. Can someone take a look at these pics and tell me where to start replacing gaskets? The oil just starts to accumulate on that first bead you see in the middle of the picture. Is that the transfer case I'm looking at here right behind the oil pan :?: Possibly the culprit. The oil pan gasket doesn't look like its leaking. The valve cover gasket is new. I get a few drops is a 24 hr period. any ideas?

problematique

Postby problematique » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Guess the Model and year would help :roll:

1998 Pathfinder LS

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 am

is there cam plugs on the back of the head? it might be your problem, my 4runner had the same kind of leak and i thought it was the rear main seal. i had my buddy check it out it was the cam plugs. they were a nightmare to change. good luck
Last edited by JAHBLESSINGS on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

problematique

Postby problematique » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:58 am

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:is there cam plugs on the back of the head? it might be your problem, my 4runner had the same kindo of leak and i thought it was the rear main seal. i had my buddy check it out it was the cam plugs. they were a nightmare to change. good luck
Hmmm. Cam plugs.. I'll have to check on that. Thanks.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:50 am

What you`re seeing after the oil pan is your transmission. The oil leak you have is not rare... it is most probably the rear main seal when the engine meets the trans.

It is a big job to fix $$, and If I were you I would try to add some additive in the engine oil to try to make the seal stop leaking.

Mine has been leaking (not like yours) for many years now, and it has never went worse...so you should be able to stretch it...

nelshaun

Oil Pan

Postby nelshaun » Wed May 04, 2011 5:32 pm

From the way it looks, it seems that there is some problem with your oil pan gasket but it might be helpful to get a new oil pan.

Return to “4x4 Tech”