how to change my (MAF) Mass Air Flow Sensor...?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

pathdragon008

how to change my (MAF) Mass Air Flow Sensor...?

Postby pathdragon008 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:21 pm

I purchased a (MAF) online and need to change it out. Does anyone have any tips or hints I might like to know prior to operating on the ol' girl. I am not the best at mechanics but need to save the $450 everyone seems to want to charge for replacing the (MAF).

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:58 pm

It's 2 screws and a plug and your all done. The sensor is on the tube next to the air cleaner box.

Npath

Re: how to change my (MAF) Mass Air Flow Sensor...?

Postby Npath » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:42 pm

pathdragon008 wrote:I purchased a (MAF) online and need to change it out. Does anyone have any tips or hints I might like to know prior to operating on the ol' girl. I am not the best at mechanics but need to save the $450 everyone seems to want to charge for replacing the (MAF).
Where did you buy it and how much?

Yeah, $450 is a lot of money for a part like that.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:47 pm

I would disconnect the battery prior to removing the old.

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:10 pm

I think the one you want is a 7s000.

Just make sure the key is off, or you'll get a p0100 (i think).

Clean the area around it before you take the old one out. Do an air filter at the same time. make sure no debris falls into the intake after the air filter (where it could go into your new sensor).

In actual fact you should clear your "self-learn" or you may find that it runs worse for a while. If you take it into the dealer, it's a s min job to reset.

Some are torx, some tamper proof, some phillips...use the right tool and it'll be pretty simple

gond34

Postby gond34 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:33 am

$450 to replace a MAF?!?! :shock: You gotta be kidding me! It'll take you just about the same amount of time to replace the MAF as it will to disconnect your battery cable. It's easy to get to (right on the back side of the intake tube) and only has 2 screws and a clip style plug. Just be careful not to drop the MAF gasket into the engine bay when you remove it or you'll be going fishing!

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:40 am

$450 must be parts and labor.....

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:44 am

Tech wrote:$450 must be parts and labor.....
part alone = $442.01 @ Courtesy Parts
what causes these sensors to fail? :?

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:51 am

dirt mostly....over-oiled aftermarket air filters, mouse poo (air boxes are like spas to them), sometimes just burn out. But mostly dirt/debris - So definately clean around before re+re. I recommend doing regular maintainance on MAFs, but you have to be a bit delicate....the two wires inside aren't super beefy...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:11 am

never have been a fan of oily air filters...........
sounds like the best maintenance, then, as usual, is preventative:
dry element air filter, regularly replaced, and a regularly
cleaned out airbox (i use a small shop-vac with a small soft brush attachment)

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:54 am

yup! Trick is to be carefull not to let any crap go into the intake when cleaning the box out.
I like to remove that MAF housing part when cleaning the box. You can also clean the maf with some brake cleaner or electrical cleaner (non-residual, quick evaporating). There should be no black/brown fuzz on the wires.
On customer cars, I also reset the long and short term fuel trims, so that things can more quickly adjust to the hopefully more accurate MAF readings. You ECM will do this automatically, it'll just take longer.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:57 am

good info - thanks! :)

Pathfan

Jet Performance Mass Air Sensor #69138

Postby Pathfan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:34 am

Hello,

A big hug and Thank you to all who maintain and contribute to this forum!

This is my first write in... I did search and did not find exact answer to my question. I had issues with sluggish/restrictive throttle response and unsteady idle after installing a Jet performance MAF sensor #69138 and AEM Dry filter.

I had some ebay gift cards that needed to be cashed in, so I bought this sensor in hopes of hp/mpg gains. Instructions were simple/straight forward, but did not indicate to remove Negative Battery wire.

I wonder if performing an ECU reset might correct the throttle response/idle issues after attempting a reinstall of the Jet MAF sensor(?).

Does anyone have any experience with the Jet MAF sensor? Or suggestions that might correct Jet MAF issues? I did exchange parts back to the OEM set up.

UPDATE: Multiple ECU resets corrected the after install issues.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:19 am

Jet is full of baloney when it comes to some of their products, including the "performance mass air sensor." All the mass air sensor does is allow the ECM to figure out how much air is coming into the engine. There's nothing you can do to improve performance by "tweaking" the mass air sensor. It's not like it's capable of allowing any more air into the engine!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”