To our latest member GuinnessJim

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

RacerZX
Site Admin

To our latest member GuinnessJim

Postby RacerZX » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:05 pm

Why I've got some of that finest brew in my wine cellar right now ready for a hearty quaff (at 55 degrees of course!). Cheers! :D

guinnessjim

muchas gracias, RZX!

Postby guinnessjim » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:42 pm

good to see a racer who knows their brew....might find some here in a sec myself.

it's 34F outside now...ideal temp for some here (i live in las vegas....too HOT here in the summer to fully enjoy guinness year round ;))

just bought a 2006 pathy SE 4x4. found a new (non-Katrina) one at a dealer here in LV...got a nice deal on a fully loaded truck (really woulda preferred teh SE Off Road, but will do some mods to get what i wanted...w/ a little help from my new friends here of course).

traded in a '92 T4R lifted to accommodate 33" yoko geo II+s and a '97 F-150 XLT, stock off-road pkg w/ cooper discoverer ATs. hope the new Path will kinda take their place once i make some mods.

thinking OME, some new tires (maybe wheels), and then perhaps a new bumper....all will depend on $$ and what people have to say.

will eventually get some pics up...hopefully some b4 and after shots.

thanks for the welcome

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: muchas gracias, RZX!

Postby NVSteve » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:32 pm

guinnessjim wrote:it's 34F outside now...ideal temp for some here (i live in las vegas....too HOT here in the summer to fully enjoy guinness year round ;))
It's 8F here right now. I can just hear the bottles in my last 6 pack breaking out in the garage. I'll have to make another run to the border when it warms up to get more, uh, supplies.
traded in a '92 T4R lifted to accommodate 33" yoko geo II+s and a '97 F-150 XLT, stock off-road pkg w/ cooper discoverer ATs. hope the new Path will kinda take their place once i make some mods.
You'll be happy with the PF. The one thing that's been hard for me to deal with, which I'm partially blaming on the crappy stock tires, is that it simply does not like to move forward when one wheel is in the air. The clearance has also been an issue a couple of times. I would have destroyed my underbody had I not parked on the side of a trail & grabbed a ride from a lifted Toyota pickup last year in Death Valley. So, what did you think of the Yokohamas? And what is your opinion of the Coopers? The Aussie forum is full of happy Cooper owners.

You're in good company here. Welcome aboard.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:45 am

hey NVS:

i think one of your posts re: OME is the hit that led me to this forum. i owe you a debt as i was getting a little frustrated w/ the lack of info re: after market equipment for the 2005+ pathies (esp. w/ respect to pics). how do you like your emu kit? do you still have clearance issues? what are you running for tires and wheels?

that is definitely one of my major concerns (esp. since i am used to being off road w/ significantly more clearance than the stock SE has...and a full set of skid plates; that is another concern)

to answer you q's, i have nothing but good things to say about the yokos and the coopers. the yokos were beasts off road, never had an issue anywhere with them (soCal and NV, primarily). they handled everything i threw at them, even performing better than i expected in a snowstorm on I-70 that plagued me from west of vail to denver (actually, my summer beaten wipers plagued me...nightmarish vis the whole way; kept having to exit and clean my windshield w/ snow so i could see for the next couple of miles). tires did great. and, as superficial as it is, they looked great on that runner.

as for the cooper ATs, while they didnt look as meaty as the geo's, they never let me down. i drove that truck on some sketchy roads in NM, CO, WY, and MT without a problem. they handled winters in WI as well as could be expected, outperforming the stupid OEM wranglers that ford puts on their off road trucks...those things seemed to hydroplane when it was humid :wink:. the discoverers were a bit bare at trade in, but they lasted me about 60K miles.

i guess the telling tail for both sets of tires is that i will be looking at putting either the new geolandars (AT/S i think), the cooper ATRs, or the nitto terra grapplers (they have received great reviews, and they look cool 2 boot) on my truck post OME.

happy to be in good company here....looking foreward to getting some experience based answers to my q's

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:34 am

Glad to see a fellow with good taste in Beer and trucks. it sounds like you have plans heading in the right direction. We just kicked over 40k in ours. Things are going well so far. Good luck with your new ride.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:25 am

guinnessjim wrote:hey NVS:

i think one of your posts re: OME is the hit that led me to this forum. i owe you a debt as i was getting a little frustrated w/ the lack of info re: after market equipment for the 2005+ pathies (esp. w/ respect to pics).
All the credit goes to Blink, as he was the first to install the kit & post some great pics.
how do you like your emu kit? do you still have clearance issues? what are you running for tires and wheels?
I really like it, especially compared to stock. It handles so much better, even in the city. I haven't been off road since September, and I was only able to try out the OME for about 30 miles of rough stuff. The local 4x4 shop that installed my lift left off a key component when they did, so one of my front shocks kind of popped out, which meant that I had to restrict myself to pavement until it was fixed. I'm still running the stock 265/75/16 BFG Rugged Trails, but am deciding on what to replace them with as we speak. They are simply not suited for off roading, and definitely not for snow or ice. Clearance-wise, I'm not sure yet. I'm planning on testing that out in Death Valley in a couple of months, but I do believe it should work fine on 95% of the roads there.
that is definitely one of my major concerns (esp. since i am used to being off road w/ significantly more clearance than the stock SE has...and a full set of skid plates; that is another concern)
I was hoping someone would offer some aftermarket skids in the US, but I haven't seen anything yet. The Nissan skids will protect against flying rocks & so forth, but they won't stand up to an impact. If I get really ambitious, I might just yank one or more off the truck and see if I can get a welder to make some for me.
i guess the telling tail for both sets of tires is that i will be looking at putting either the new geolandars (AT/S i think), the cooper ATRs, or the nitto terra grapplers (they have received great reviews, and they look cool 2 boot) on my truck post OME.
Yeah, the Nittos have great reviews. If I go up to a 285/75/16, that's what I'll put on. Thanks for the info on the tires.

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”