Help high pitched engine noise.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed May 04, 2011 12:50 pm

That kind of stuff should be covered under some kind of extended warranty. This is similar to the radiator/tranny issue that they extended the warranty.

pearl62

Postby pearl62 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:11 pm

volvite wrote:So is this a common problem? Was the timing chain just loose?
The way it was described to me was that it is a known problem, with the timing chain edge being made with a too abrasive edge, causing the premature wearing of the tensioner follower, leading to metal on metal contact, that will inevitably lead to timing chain failure.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed May 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Ok, so here is the next question. Is this only for the V6 or possible in the V8 as well?

pearl62

Postby pearl62 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:54 pm

volvite wrote:Ok, so here is the next question. Is this only for the V6 or possible in the V8 as well?
Not, sure, but the V8 has timing chains too...

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Fri May 06, 2011 10:30 am

So, my timing chain issue seemed to be fixed, HOWEVER, now I'm getting a loud hum/whine when I turn on the AC :x I wonder what they screwed up when they "fixed" the truck???

And yes, if this is a KNOWN issue and manufacturing/design defect, it SHOULD be covered under some kind of extended warranty!!

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri May 06, 2011 1:17 pm

shv2sail wrote:So, my timing chain issue seemed to be fixed, HOWEVER, now I'm getting a loud hum/whine when I turn on the AC :x I wonder what they screwed up when they "fixed" the truck???

And yes, if this is a KNOWN issue and manufacturing/design defect, it SHOULD be covered under some kind of extended warranty!!
I just replaced my A/C compressor because of that. Worked...but loud. Sounded remarkably like the dreaded cam chain tensioner noise, which made me switch the A/C on and off every now and then just to make sure that problem wasn't back.

If its the compressor, aside from hearing it when its on you can listen to it with an auto stethoscope.

$400 plus labor and refrigerant at Nissan if you were wondering. Around $800-900 total. :roll:

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri May 06, 2011 2:17 pm

So 800-900 is total parts + labor? That's crazy. You should be able to find a remanufactured compressor at Napa/Autozone etc for cheaper than 400. Go to an A/C shop, have them recover your refrigerant, swap the part yourself, then go back to the a/c shop and have them dry and replace the refrigerant. Should be cheaper than 800-900.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri May 06, 2011 2:46 pm

Not much cheaper - around $350. And I only had so much time to get it done.

Ultra cheap would have been me doing the entire job myself at Bolling Air Force Base across the river.

But OEM wasn't that much more, and I wanted to just get this done with no rework. Besides, I'm currently enroute PCS getting both per diem and BAH...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri May 06, 2011 2:51 pm

That sucks that there is not much difference.

Enroute PCS to where?

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Mon May 09, 2011 7:12 am

Well, anything beyond $500 for additional repairs and the truck is going on the selling block. It is RIDICULOUS that a vehicle should need all of this expensive work at only 90k miles! :x

Plus, the more I think about it, the more irritated I am tha Nissan made me eat the $1400 for the timing chain issue repair when it's THEIR own manufacturing/design flaw! Anyone know how to contact the regional Nissan Service reps? Time to B%*ch...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 09, 2011 11:09 am

The contact info should be in the owners manual somewhere. Have you tried looking there? If not, a google search might give you a few numbers to call. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Mon May 09, 2011 1:19 pm

Right...I was just seeing if anyone closer to Nissan had a more 'direct' number for speaking to someone with some level of authority (regional Service Director, etc) vs just the 800-Nissan number where I have to start with the secretary's secretary and work my way (slowly) up.

I'll let you know what I find out...though it may not be pretty - I just talked to the local Service Manager who was taking a look at the new bad noise my truck is emitting (looks like an AC compressor failure, ANOTHER $1300 repair) who's personal truck had the timing chain defect. Nissan told him "sorry, but it's on you"...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Sorry. I don't know anyone. I spent probably 2 plus hours on the phone with multiple people after I had my pathfinder for 2 almost 3 weeks checking up on the CPO warranty with Nissan to get some details for them to finally answer me that it was not a CPO. I was pissed. Called the dealership, Nissan Dealership where I bought it, and they had not sent in the paper work to Nissan. Still sitting on the salesmans desk. Talked to the sales manager to work that issue as top priority for the day, they finally fax/mailed all the stuff to Nissan and I finally got my CPO warranty info in the mail about a week later. I was super pissed.

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Tue May 17, 2011 6:53 am

I finally talked to someone at Nissan regional service yesterday regarding all my issues (apparently the case was routed to the wrong region rep as my service dealership is not the same one I purchased it, etc, etc).

ANYHOW, I was told that as far as Nissan is concerned, there is no timing chain issue with this model pathfinder, so they will not be providing any financial help with that issue...though if in the future Nissan finds that there is, in fact, a design/manufacturing problem with the timing chain I MAY be eligible for some sort of refund.

As far as the air conditioning repair is concerned, I had 2 choices: the rep could research the issue and see if Nissan would help me out at all on the cost of the repairs (unknown ETA on an answer), or I could go ahead and get the work done, and then she would do the research and see what help Nissan may or may not come through with.

Overall, there were more "may"s and "mights"s and "no"s in the conversation than anything else....not suprising.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:09 am

shv2sail wrote:I finally talked to someone at Nissan regional service yesterday regarding all my issues (apparently the case was routed to the wrong region rep as my service dealership is not the same one I purchased it, etc, etc).

ANYHOW, I was told that as far as Nissan is concerned, there is no timing chain issue with this model pathfinder, so they will not be providing any financial help with that issue...though if in the future Nissan finds that there is, in fact, a design/manufacturing problem with the timing chain I MAY be eligible for some sort of refund.

As far as the air conditioning repair is concerned, I had 2 choices: the rep could research the issue and see if Nissan would help me out at all on the cost of the repairs (unknown ETA on an answer), or I could go ahead and get the work done, and then she would do the research and see what help Nissan may or may not come through with.

Overall, there were more "may"s and "mights"s and "no"s in the conversation than anything else....not suprising.
I'll tell you right now that the "mays & mights" mean no.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”