Sloppy Steering going over bumps on Highway

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

05pathyse

Sloppy Steering going over bumps on Highway

Postby 05pathyse » Thu May 19, 2011 5:45 am

Ive been noticing my steering wheel shaking and jerking going over bumps lately. I thought putting all new suspension would help and it didnt. I just got it aligned and all my tires rotated and balanced. I just ordered new stabalizer bushings and end links. Think this will fix the issue?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:15 am

alignment seemed to help mine the most. Still does it a little and recently has starting to get worse. Figure I need another alignment. Seems to be inherrent to this design at least to some degree.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Sloppy Steering going over bumps on Highway

Postby disallow » Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 am

05pathyse wrote:Ive been noticing my steering wheel shaking and jerking going over bumps lately. I thought putting all new suspension would help and it didnt. I just got it aligned and all my tires rotated and balanced. I just ordered new stabalizer bushings and end links. Think this will fix the issue?
Alignment first, then tires. If that doesn't help, get the suspension checked. Bad shocks in the front won't help, nor will worn ball joints, tie rods, or suspension links. Springs are pretty weak too, could be broken and you wouldn't even know it.

t

05pathyse

Postby 05pathyse » Thu May 19, 2011 8:29 am

I just replaced the front shocks with adjustables and the rear has new shocks and the rancho spacers. replaced bother rear links and my tires are like new

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:33 am

Forgot to mention...get a GOOD alignment. Many of the quickie joints don't really do it right. Need someone that really specializes in alignment and tell them the problem you're having. They may be able to adjust it to take some of that out. It's generally referred to as "bump steer".

ShipFixer

Re: Sloppy Steering going over bumps on Highway

Postby ShipFixer » Thu May 19, 2011 10:00 am

05pathyse wrote:Ive been noticing my steering wheel shaking and jerking going over bumps lately. I thought putting all new suspension would help and it didnt. I just got it aligned and all my tires rotated and balanced. I just ordered new stabalizer bushings and end links. Think this will fix the issue?
Honestly, biggest fix for this for me has been the Airlift 1000 in the rear. When the rear would wallow and bottom out over bumps it would upset the front. Downright bad in corners.

Now I can basically drive it around like a car...

ironman

Postby ironman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Inner and outer tie rods my right side was shot and the outer tie rod had some play once they got it off it was obvious that the inner tie rod was very sloppy.

It cause my steering wheel to sit crooked and also a little wobbly in the steering on the highway.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”