The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
3M VHB for running boards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspitz

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: 3M VHB for running boards? Reply with quote

After 5+ years, both of my running board plastic cover-thingies are about 50% detached. Does anyone have a specific recommended double-stick tape? 3M VHB (1/2"?) seems like a good candidate, but may be overkill. Would 3614 be a better option? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
volvite
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the plastic step over the running board? If it's coming off, I would recommend taking it all the way off, removing any left over adheasive from before and then using something like liquid nails or gorilla glue and attach it with that. That stuff stick to everything and is not coming off.
What did you do to your Pathfinder thread:http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=71760#71760
Arby1028

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've searched extensively on this topic and this is the only thread I can find on it. So what's the general consensus on reattaching the plastic on the running boards? Liquid Nails? 3M Double Stick Adhesive? Gorilla Glue?
jspitz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about a consensus, but the 1/2" VHB is working for me so far, but I probably bought it in 2011 and didn't get around to sticking the plastic covers back on until earlier this year, almost 5 years later. Ask me again after a full Winter Wink

I'd be a little concerned Gorilla Glue would expand too much, and I'm not sure about the expansion qualities of liquid nails, but either of those might be fine if they are acceptable for the temperature ranges. Also at the time I think I looked into the 3M 3614 and went with VHB, but I'm not sure why at this point - more "stickiness?"
patrickm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with the vote against gorilla glue... this is not the right application for it, and i'd suspect it'd fail within a year or two esp if you have cold winters.

i don't know enough about that tape, but i'd also think about some fast-set construction adhesive rated for windows/doors (i.e., for being exposed to outside) or a traditional two-part epoxy. I could dig for the brand of construction adhesive i used on a big window frame install on my house, but it's available at hardware stores... maybe a PL product. the two parts mix in the nozzle, but otherwise it looks like a regular caulk tube.

also, PL Premium is usually a little more reliable than liquid nails for outdoor projects in my experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: