best black trim restorer

Let's go, Zaino, Mothers, Meguiars...Fight!

Moderator: volvite

hollow

best black trim restorer

Postby hollow » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:01 pm

had to have 2 panels on the pathy painted due to two deep scratches ,excellent job but the trims around the windows appear to have buffing compund in them and i just cant get rid of it , any of you guys over the pond got any suggestions ?

Rapscallion

Postby Rapscallion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 am

Mother's Back to Black is my favorite product for restoring faded black trim/plastics. Works wonders.

Cr@2y Gr33k

Postby Cr@2y Gr33k » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 pm

I just use Armorall on all black trim pieces. It works really well.

John

Postby John » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Rapscallion wrote:Mother's Back to Black is my favorite product for restoring faded black trim/plastics. Works wonders.
x2

Jesse

Postby Jesse » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:47 am

Cr@2y Gr33k wrote:I just use Armorall on all black trim pieces. It works really well.
I wouldnt use that crap on anything.

hfrez

All of these products you speak of only mask the problem

Postby hfrez » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:09 am

All of these products you speak of only mask the problem until it wears off. So, what really CLEANS the trim and gets rid of the stains left by waxing?
That is the question! :roll: :?:

phrozeinglass

Back to black

Postby phrozeinglass » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:40 am

I agree, I like Mother's Back to Black. I actually saw this thread earlier went to the store and picked it up. Started prepping my car for winter; they love to generously salt the roads here. Sorry I didn't think to take some photos of beforehand but this is after, I used B2B on the running boards and all the trim. The running boards were pretty much grey before.

I have always used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean up and remove wax. Don't use it on paint obviously but works great on trims and leather if you don't go crazy. I have used it on various leather items (horse back riding saddles) and tried it on car leather and have not have had any issues. Gives it a nice clean shine and conditions well. I do mix it with conditioners also.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:25 pm

^^^^^^^phrozeinglass^^^^ are you saying you are using the product on the "diamond tread" part of your running boards? If so, doesn't it get very slippery?

phrozeinglass

Postby phrozeinglass » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:24 am

Honestly I haven't had a problem with it being slippery, with that said I'd imagine if you over did it it would be rather slippery :) After I washed it and cleaned off the heavy stuff I went over them with the Back to Black and then the murphy's oil soap... just gotta work it in well.

95XE_PATHFINDER

Postby 95XE_PATHFINDER » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:12 pm

Where can I get this mothers black stuff?

MountaineerMojo

Postby MountaineerMojo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:50 am

I used to have an Avalanche, which had insane amounts of the black plastic trim. I used a product called Refinish Restorer on it, and it makes it faded black plastic look like new. I haven't tried it on the plastic trim on my Pathfinder because I loaned it to my dad for his pickup, but it's incredible. It's a bit pricey (about $50 for a quart, I think), and not always easy to find, but it works wonders.

dirtygirl660

Postby dirtygirl660 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Id try 303 Aerospace protectant. Armor all etc sucks and just drys out the plastic even worse than it was to start with. If you use that on tonneau covers it dry rots them. I only use that on tires cause I never have them long. lol :D

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:53 pm

John wrote:
Rapscallion wrote:Mother's Back to Black is my favorite product for restoring faded black trim/plastics. Works wonders.
x2
x3 it works so well on the trim where the wipers rest...gets it black and slick looking and stays that way for a good while.

DMRPHY03

Postby DMRPHY03 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:21 am

^^^ AGREED! That stuff is awesome! Armor All makes things look pretty good, but has very damaging long-term effects, I wouldn't recommend using it...

DMRPHY03

Re: Back to black

Postby DMRPHY03 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:25 am

phrozeinglass wrote:I agree, I like Mother's Back to Black. I actually saw this thread earlier went to the store and picked it up. Started prepping my car for winter; they love to generously salt the roads here. Sorry I didn't think to take some photos of beforehand but this is after, I used B2B on the running boards and all the trim. The running boards were pretty much grey before.

I have always used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean up and remove wax. Don't use it on paint obviously but works great on trims and leather if you don't go crazy. I have used it on various leather items (horse back riding saddles) and tried it on car leather and have not have had any issues. Gives it a nice clean shine and conditions well. I do mix it with conditioners also.
Looks great! I am going to do this on mine tonight. Texas heat is horrible on the plastics! Where do you get the Murphy's Oil Soap and what exactly is the purpose of it? Sounds counterproductive if you are putting a restorer on the plactic and taking it back off with the Murphy's, but maybe I read it wrong???

Return to “Detailing Details”