best black trim restorer

Let's go, Zaino, Mothers, Meguiars...Fight!

Moderator: volvite

phrozeinglass

Postby phrozeinglass » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:39 am

You can get Murphy's Oil at any grocery store or Walmart. It's in the cleaning section. I used to barrel race and I would always use it on my leather saddle to keep it clean and shiny looking, silly trick of the trade apparently. Figured I would give it a shot in my cars on the leather seats and it works great. I used it on my running boards for the first time, when I took these pics, and surprisingly it turned out well.

I washed the car well, put the Murphy's Oil on the running boards after they dried, with a microfiber applicator. Just use a small amount at first and make sure it's worked in well. After that I used the back to black. I found that with the two of them it kept my running boards shiny and black, and they managed to stay clean for a while.

The Murphy's Oil also works great for leather seats. Technically it's a soap with conditioners so it will clean and condition together. It was designed to be used on hard wood floors. Just make sure where ever you apply it you don't use too much because it will need to be worked in. Like I said I have been using this on all my leather saddles forever and my leather seats also for some time, and I have never had an issue or been disappointed.

If you put more than enough on the running boards or do not work in it well enough when it rains they will be slippery so be careful.

Gadgetech

Re: best black trim restorer

Postby Gadgetech » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:49 pm

hollow wrote:had to have 2 panels on the pathy painted due to two deep scratches ,excellent job but the trims around the windows appear to have buffing compund in them and i just cant get rid of it , any of you guys over the pond got any suggestions ?
I have used peanut butter in the past to get rid of wax out of black plastic trim areas. When I had my 04 Pathfinder there was plenty of black plastic/rubber areas that would make it hard to remove the wax residue. Now, you may be thinking that peanut butter is oily and the oil is what hides the wax but after many washings and time in between waxing it still would not re-appear. I think the key is to work the peanut butter pretty good over the area of the wax residue and let the grittiness of the PB help get the wax residue out of the tiny crevices.

Brian617

Re: best black trim restorer

Postby Brian617 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:48 pm

robgeo1

Postby robgeo1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Posted this on R51 int/ext:

I ordered this product: Wipenew.com
You've probably seen the product on TV lately. Their claim is that it gets all the black plastic parts back to new and it's supposed to last for a long time.
(I believe the commercial said two years)

I've used several of the "back to black" products on the market over the years and for the most part they are good for a short time until it goes "back to white".

This product is different. It's definitely more chemically. It has a strong odor but it's not unpleasant. And it appears to actually work. I used it on my roof racks and they came out looking like new. I tried to scrub it off and left it in the sun but it still looked great. The next day I washed the car and it stayed good. Now for the test of time.... I'll update in a week or two.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:49 pm

robgeo1 wrote:Posted this on R51 int/ext:

You've probably seen the product on TV lately. Their claim is that it gets all the black plastic parts back to new and it's supposed to last for a long time.

I've used several of the "back to black" products on the market over the years and for the most part they are good for a short time until it goes "back to white".

This product is different. It's definitely more chemically. It has a strong odor but it's not unpleasant. And it appears to actually work. I used it on my roof racks and they came out looking like new. I tried to scrub it off and left it in the sun but it still looked great. The next day I washed the car and it stayed good. Now for the test of time.... I'll update in a week or two.
This is relevant to my interests!

LifeCareEMT

RE; Rubbing compound and dull trim

Postby LifeCareEMT » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:44 am

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner and an old soft toothbrush will remove the compound residue and Turtle Wax "ICE" can be used on trim as well as painted surfaces. 8)

adj69

Postby adj69 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:42 pm

I decided to try Surf City Garage Black Max product the other day and found that it did a pretty good job. Says it will last for several car washes and rain. I suppose you have to reapply at some point, but I guess I'll have to see how long it lasts until I have to apply it again.

Front Rail Section Before:

Front Rail Section After:

LifeCareEMT

Trim

Postby LifeCareEMT » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:13 am

Looks good...hope it lasts.
I imagine that the long term solution would be to remove the faded parts and refinish with the appropriate spray finish meant for vinyl/plastic surfaces and re-attach. 8)

adj69

Postby adj69 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Earlier tonight I walked by the automotive department at my local Walmart here in Arlington TX and saw the Wipe New product being displayed.

I guess it was just a matter of time.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:54 pm

dirtygirl660 wrote:Id try 303 Aerospace protectant. Armor all etc sucks and just drys out the plastic even worse than it was to start with. If you use that on tonneau covers it dry rots them. I only use that on tires cause I never have them long. lol :D
This stuff?

http://www.detailedimage.com/303-M2/Aer ... /16-oz-S1/

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:46 pm

robgeo1 wrote:Posted this on R51 int/ext:

Curious if you have an update on how this product has performed since application.

LifeCareEMT

Trim Restorers

Postby LifeCareEMT » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:05 pm

As nature takes it's course on synthetic materiels (plastic composites) , plastic becomes porous from UV exposure. Products on the general market do nothing more than "fill" the gaps temporarily. Silicone being the ingriedient of choice. Keep in mind that any OTC product is nothing more than a "band-aid" for the problem.

Zen_master

Re: Trim Restorers

Postby Zen_master » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:04 pm

LifeCareEMT wrote:As nature takes it's course on synthetic materiels (plastic composites) , plastic becomes porous from UV exposure. Products on the general market do nothing more than "fill" the gaps temporarily. Silicone being the ingriedient of choice. Keep in mind that any OTC product is nothing more than a "band-aid" for the problem.
So is there a permanent answer?

Return to “Detailing Details”