Middle Seat Removal

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Junior

Postby Junior » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Tried doing this tonight and got 2 bolts out without any issues. The remaining 4 got half way out and stopped cranking. Put some WD40 on them and will let them sit overnight to see if that helps.

Anyone else have any issues removing the bolts? I assume the bolts are just dirty from the undercarriage and need to be worked through.

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Junior wrote:Tried doing this tonight and got 2 bolts out without any issues. The remaining 4 got half way out and stopped cranking. Put some WD40 on them and will let them sit overnight to see if that helps.

Anyone else have any issues removing the bolts? I assume the bolts are just dirty from the undercarriage and need to be worked through.
So the bolts go through the body to the underside of the truck? Assume you just replace these in the holes once the seat is out? I'm thinking about trying this. With 3 kids, getting them in and out the 3rd row is always a challenge, even with flipping up the outside mid row seat.

Thanks.

Winky

Postby Winky » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Hey, my 2011 doesn't have the 'smuggler box' under the middle seat. It's just carpet. Is there a space below the carpet?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:58 pm

From my readings, I think they removed it in 09-10.

Winky

Postby Winky » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Darn. Been looking for a place to stash the jumper cables and this seemed like a possible spot. Thanks for the info though.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Yea sorry. However I don't think it would have been big enough to store your jumper cables. I have some tie downs and the power cable for my winch.

prstn5580

Postby prstn5580 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:28 pm

must be the 2010 my 2009 has it

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:51 pm

The bolts do go all the way through the body, at least 2 of the 4 bolts do on mine. When the tip that is normally exposed to the outside elements below starts to go through the thread, it gets really hart to crank it. Just grab a big wrench and it will come out. Putting them back in will be easier. Also, having them out completely leaves small openings to the outside/underneath of the truck, hense more noise. I was removing all the seats on mine doing the interior, but since I don't use the third row, all the seats went back in.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:03 am

This is a great idea and looks good too. I love it.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:31 pm

So my family and I are taking my sister and her two kids to Portland this next weekend. Thought we would try out the new seating arrangement by removing the middle seat of the 2nd row. That way there is a bit more room. It took me maybe 5 minutes to remove the 6 screws, which as I'm doing more on my pathfinder it seem that the previous owner knew all these secrets and had done this before.

My question is to all those who have done this, what did you buy to plug the holes in the floor? I really don't think much water will come up from them, but I'd rather have something to plug than risk it, especially since I'll be heading to Portland and they get alot more rain than I do. Any ideas? Thanks.

Ram_Fish1

Only wish we had done it sooner

Postby Ram_Fish1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:08 pm

I highly reccomend removing the center section of the second row. We have 3 kids 2 in car seats and holy cow it is soooo much better. I know this is an old thread but I just did this to ours and wife loves it. Also picked up a $4 rubber backed rug and cut to fit to save the carpet and keep a clean look. Was going to post pics but can't figure out on phone[/url]

Blackandwhite

Postby Blackandwhite » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Hate to resurrect it but I bought an 05 recently and am trying to take out the bolts and I can't get them to budge. I've even used my lithium ryobi impact and nothing has happened. Any advice?

Ram_Fish1

Postby Ram_Fish1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Blackandwhite wrote:Hate to resurrect it but I bought an 05 recently and am trying to take out the bolts and I can't get them to budge. I've even used my lithium ryobi impact and nothing has happened. Any advice?
Ours is a 2011, so I cant say its the same, are you saying it wont move at all or its turning but not backing out? Looked underneath? If not turning at all have you tried any type of liquid wrench spray, Mine were threaded into the floor of the truck, came right out with just a 3/8" socket by hand. Perhaps yours has a nut on the other side, just spit balling.

Blackandwhite

Postby Blackandwhite » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:56 am

Ram_Fish1 wrote: Ours is a 2011, so I cant say its the same, are you saying it wont move at all or its turning but not backing out? Looked underneath? If not turning at all have you tried any type of liquid wrench spray, Mine were threaded into the floor of the truck, came right out with just a 3/8" socket by hand. Perhaps yours has a nut on the other side, just spit balling.
Not turned at all with a socket, closed end wrench or my impact. I looked underneath with the car on the ground since I don't have a jack or jack stands and if there's a but somewhere, it's underneath the gas tank from what I can tell

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:45 am

I did this once for a loaded down road trip to Vegas once. It was awesome, 4 adults inside and two kids.
Taking the bolts out suck's but get a breaker bar or something and give it hell.
I also used the bolts and some all round to secure a small console for the rear passengers to the floor in the back. But I did put the bolts back into the holes, because they were holes to the outside.
So get some leverage by adding length to the wrench and break those bitches out!

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”