Tires! Not the same old query though!

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

aadadams

Tires! Not the same old query though!

Postby aadadams » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:22 pm

I had a blowout about two weeks ago. The Duelers have to go... While they were fine overall they were very squishy in corners. I drive like a bat out of hell, and mostly on interstates and hwys. I will rarely (if ever) get the truck in mud or off road. I see snow often as my wife is from WI and we live in NoVA. While I like the aggressive look of many of the tires that many of you favor, those recommendations tend to be geared towards the off road user.

As I exit Hades, I often corner quickly and need a tire that does a good job of this, which tire will hold best under these conditions while remaining quiet on the hwy with traction in the snow? Lasting 60000 miles couldn't hurt either... Thanks for your opinions!

BTW: Please reply as I need to buy tires immediately and every opinion counts!

goblue90

Re: Tires! Not the same old query though!

Postby goblue90 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:32 pm

aadadams wrote:I had a blowout about two weeks ago. The Duelers have to go... While they were fine overall they were very squishy in corners. I drive like a bat out of hell, and mostly on interstates and hwys. I will rarely (if ever) get the truck in mud or off road. I see snow often as my wife is from WI and we live in NoVA. While I like the aggressive look of many of the tires that many of you favor, those recommendations tend to be geared towards the off road user.

As I exit Hades, I often corner quickly and need a tire that does a good job of this, which tire will hold best under these conditions while remaining quiet on the hwy with traction in the snow? Lasting 60000 miles couldn't hurt either... Thanks for your opinions!

BTW: Please reply as I need to buy tires immediately and every opinion counts!
I ran Firestone Destination A/Ts on my OEM wheels and loved 'em.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm running the Michelin LTX MS2 and very happy with them. I run very hard as well out twisty/hilly roads (Car & Driver often uses my normal commute for car testing). The suspension will scare the crap out of me before the tires. They did terrific in the snow/ice last year but I've noticed them getting a little slippery in the wet stuff now with about 25k miles on them. Gobs of tread left though...but it may have hit a harder material. I'll easily get 50k miles out of them assuming I don't need to toss them prematurely due to wet/snow/ice performance. I go into mining pits a couple times a week and they do fine for that stuff.

PapaRomeo51

Postby PapaRomeo51 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:58 pm

"I drive like a bat out of Hell"! Maybe it's just me, but that sound disturbing. Slow down, you will live longer. As for tires, I had Michlen LTX tires on my 95 Pathfinder and they were great on Road.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:33 pm

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors or the Goodyear fortera triple treads. The silent Armors are a more aggressive but not as aggressive as the duratracs. I had them on my 99 Jeep and loved them. They come with a 50k mile treadlife warranty as well.

I'd also look into th 100 dollar air bags for the rear springs. I'm installing those when I get back state side, but I've heard they do wonders for the weak rear end. They help stiffen things up and give you some handling back.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions it seems Michelin is the front runner for my driving. I like the tread pattern of those Goodyear tires and they compare well to the Michelin at about ~25-35 bucks cheaper. Keep the suggestions coming...

@PapaRomeo51, Just used that as a descriptive phrase that would be recognized universally. While I tend to be a bit invigorated by curvy roads, I realize I'm not driving Cayenne S, LOL! I've got a couple of little ones who I plan to see grow old! Thanks for you concern, and I will try to stay safe.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:04 am

My local Merchants (NTB for some) has a special on the Yoko Geolander HTS. 50% off of 4 with purchase of premium install and a 1 year alignment, $630 OTD. Mr Tire's all inclusive price on the tires alone is $756. Should jump on this or are the other options worth the additional coin for my driving style...

I haven't heard anything bad about the Geolanders, if there is something I need to know speak up folks!

Edit: After searching Google, it seems the Geolanders may be poor in winter weather... comments...

donmigga83

Postby donmigga83 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:33 pm

I've got Yoko Geolanders although I think they are the ATS, but I love em. I too drive like a bat out of hell. We don't get an awful lot of snow in Boise, but what we do get the tires handle with ease. But that's just my two cents. Good luck tire shopping!

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:05 pm

volvite wrote:Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors or the Goodyear fortera triple treads. The silent Armors are a more aggressive but not as aggressive as the duratracs. I had them on my 99 Jeep and loved them. They come with a 50k mile treadlife warranty as well.

I'd also look into th 100 dollar air bags for the rear springs. I'm installing those when I get back state side, but I've heard they do wonders for the weak rear end. They help stiffen things up and give you some handling back.
I second the Fortera Triple Tread, but with a caveat. I bought them around 56k and they absolutely rocked for the first winter. I rarely even put the truck in auto mode, much less 4-High. For the next winter around 20k later, they were still much better than the stock General Grabber AW(?) that came on my LE, but not as good in the snow as they were the first year. With nearly 30k on the tires now, they are still great in dry or wet. Time will tell if the third winter is worse than the second.

I'm also thinking about the air bags in the back, but as I approach 90k I'd rather do new shocks and springs on all four corners if I can find something sporty, not lower the truck much, and not break the bank. The Cayenne feel would suit me well :)

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:09 am

I have the airbags and Bilsteins in the back. Well worth the money...but it's still not even in the ocean as a Cayenne. I'm thinking of the lowering springs which only drop about an inch and from what I've read do wonders. I've been thinking of going back to a full-size daily-driver though so I don't want to drop more money into it yet.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Bait and switch or honest mistake... Either way the Geos could not be had at the aforementioned price. The manager offered the Nitto Crosstek for 172.99/tire at buy 3 get 1 free. The mount, balance, disposal, road hazard, and lifetime service will be 35.99 per tire. Now Mr Tire looks good again. Neither store carries the Geo ATS only the HTS... Oh well the search continues... Gonna pull the trigger on something this weekend...

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:02 am

OK, I'm finally at the shop getting tires installed! I called NTB which is just a couple of minutes beyond Merchants from my house. I asked about the Geolander special, and the rep confirmed that my size was not included in the sale. He offered to give me the Nittos at the same deal, buy two get two, alignment, road hazard, and etc. 651 OTD. Saved a couple hundred over the Merchants offer. Though I did give Merchants a chance to match the price.

Nitto Crosstek: I realize the model is only about a year old. I searched online and couldn't find one bad comment about the Nitto Crosstek. I did however find several glowing recommendations, so I went ahead and did it. I'll keep you posted on how they perform and wear, focusing on our first snow. That's where the dearth of information exists. Thanks for all the input!

I'm really considering those stiffer lowering springs as the next step...

gadget1382

Postby gadget1382 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:48 pm

The other thing to consider other than the brand and tyre type is the surface/contact area and the side profile.

The smaller the side profile the better it will take the corners, as will a larger contact area... but that only works to a point, if you go too large the side wall will balloon and flex too much.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Seems the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus are up your alley. Reports are they last quite a long time.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Sport-Ut ... -PLUS.aspx

http://www.treaddepot.com/group/dhtpl.html

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”