New member, and new problem.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

sprfunk

New member, and new problem.

Postby sprfunk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Hey whats up guys? Just got a 05 Path on Sat. I really like the truck and am impressed with the styling and power. However today the "service engine" light came on.

I took it to schucks for a diagnostic and it pulled a p0420 code. From all my reading it sounds like I got a cat out, or possibly an 02 censor problem. I have been reading about laws requiring companies to extend the warranty on some exhaust parts including cats to 8/80000. (I have 54XXX)

Is there any truth to this, and how do I go about getting the work done? Do I need to show proof of a failed smog test or something.

Since my first fill (Sunday) up my trucks computer is telling me that I am averaging about 8 miles a gal. Could this be the issue?

Something is telling me the power-train warranty is going to be money well spent.

I am going to check the coolant tomorrow just to see it there is any issues with that.

Hope this is the last of the issues for a long while.

135zeus

Postby 135zeus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:59 am

Im not a mechanic but in playing with my other vehicles in the past, I would say the O2 sensor is likely the culprit for the poor MPG's....unless you're driving with Gravedigger's tires, buts thats probably not the case, right? :D

Perhaps a good dose of Sea Foam or BG 44K could help clean up the system. The O2 sensors can get clogged up and throw the entire system off. Give it a whirl....

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:17 am

I would agree. I say seafoam it, 9 bucks for a can, then if that does not clear the code, I'd look at chaning the O2 sensors.

sprfunk

Postby sprfunk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:48 am

Ok I will try sea foam. It has done well with other vehicles of mine. How do you suggest I administer it? On my last car I pumped it directly into the air suction of a blow off valve in the turbo system. What would you suggest?
And thanks for the replies.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm

The brake booster vacuum line is the best way to get this stuff into the engine.

135zeus

Postby 135zeus » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:58 am

disallow wrote:The brake booster vacuum line is the best way to get this stuff into the engine.
Do you a good picture to post showing which line to use? I want to do it on this new pathfinder just for a a little fall clean-up! I have done the procedure in other vehicles of mine but I an very new with this vehicle and Nissans in general.

Thanks!

asgard

Postby asgard » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:05 pm

It is very easy to find it is connected to the front of the brake booster. Remove the clip and then place the pipe - less the clamp into the bottle of sea foam - it will suck it up no problem. I regulated the amount of direct application by pouring some into a old/clean can - I was amazed at how strong the vacuum was, it lifted it out from about 2 inches from the liquid surface.
Don't do the throttle body unless you want to go through the reset operation - dump rest of the can in the tank.

good luck - hope this does the trick.

sprfunk

Postby sprfunk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 pm

Ok I will do this today. I am takeing it to the dealer on saturday to see if its the cats or not. That way I will know for sure if its something under warrenty or not. Let's hope for the best I guess. do you think the seafoam could interfere with the dealers test
on saturday ?

asgard

Postby asgard » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:32 am

If you are looking to have it checked then I would say leave the treatment till after - the treatment cleans carbon and crud off the valves when injected via the vacuum pipe, through the tank it cleans the pipes and injectors.
I would do it and then i it throws a code - they can see it Saturday.
It is undetectable by the dealership.
Hope it covered under warranty.

sprfunk

Postby sprfunk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:03 am

asgard wrote:If you are looking to have it checked then I would say leave the treatment till after - the treatment cleans carbon and crud off the valves when injected via the vacuum pipe, through the tank it cleans the pipes and injectors.
I would do it and then i it throws a code - they can see it Saturday.
It is undetectable by the dealership.
Hope it covered under warranty.
Thats what I figured to do. I did the Seafoam and then went to Oreilies and cleared the code. So far it has not come back on. I would be stoked if this was the end of it, if not I will just have them go check it out.

sprfunk

Postby sprfunk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:05 am

135zeus wrote:
disallow wrote:The brake booster vacuum line is the best way to get this stuff into the engine.
Do you a good picture to post showing which line to use? I want to do it on this new pathfinder just for a a little fall clean-up! I have done the procedure in other vehicles of mine but I an very new with this vehicle and Nissans in general.

Thanks!
I have a picture of it, I am going to post it here once I find out how.

sprfunk

Postby sprfunk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:20 am

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... g&newest=1

Ok here is a link to the picture. Its circled in red. I will tell you that you should be carefull when romoving the line. The plastic part seems very weak. Support it while you take off the hose. Don't break it.

Fookn4x2

Postby Fookn4x2 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:44 pm

So is seafoam something everyone recommends? I have a 07 with 104K never had a problem other than the crappy suspension sway and the squeaking when going over bumps. Should seafoam be used for regular engine maintenance?

sprfunk

Postby sprfunk » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:52 pm

Well turns out it was the cat, thankfully its covered.
So it seems the rear driveshaft is leaking, and the front driveshaft is loose, but I bought an extended power train warranty. So hopefully its covered as well. I would guess that it is internally lubricated if its leaking... :?

sprfunk

Postby sprfunk » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Fookn4x2 wrote:So is seafoam something everyone recommends? I have a 07 with 104K never had a problem other than the crappy suspension sway and the squeaking when going over bumps. Should seafoam be used for regular engine maintenance?
I used it on every car I have ever had. I actually took a smog test before and after seafoam on my eclipse gsx (AWD Turbo) and the difference in the test was palpable.

The only things you should be aware of is that it can expose leaks. Sometimes there are leaks that basically seal themselves (oil leaks in particular) and this product can strip those patches and let you find leaks especially with high mileage cars.
Secondly there is something called Hydra lock. Don't use too much in the air vac line. Do some research on that. (I will not be buying you a new motor).

Great product, plus its always a funny reaction from bystanders. Look up some of the seafoam videos on youtube.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”