Back up cam- reverse wire found!!

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

Robjunkins

Back up cam- reverse wire found!!

Postby Robjunkins » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:59 pm

2007 automatic (non 4WD)
Put in a Kenwood DDX418 and a Pioneer ND-BC4 rear view camera.

It took a full weekend of looking up where to find the reverse light wire for the back up camera, but I finally found it. The reverse light wire is a light blue wire inside the wrapped bundle of wires running under the driver's side door sill. I just stripped a bit of the wire away, tied in and ran the wire to the "reverse" wire coming from my head unit.
Not sure if anyone else has been scouring the web for this wire- but I hope it helps someone.

gond34

Postby gond34 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:58 am

YES!! Thank you! I spent some time last week looking for this wire as well as I'm installing a back-up camera as well into my Pioneer 4300BT... Thanks for the info!

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:55 am

the easiest option is to remove the tail light and use a test light then trace the wire back up under the dash.

Robjunkins

Postby Robjunkins » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:36 pm

I tried everything. I took the tail light out and the wire there is red with blue stripe, but there is not a wire like that up front (that I found) and I really didn't want to run wires to engine bay or to the back. I have every wire hidden, from camera to under the dash. I am just glad I could finally locate it and save anyone else the hassle.

FindyourPath

Can the backup cam be wired to work at will???

Postby FindyourPath » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:10 pm

Can the backup cam be wired to work at will???

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:45 am

yes it can work at will. you will have to find a hot wire to hook it up to.

FindyourPath

which wire?

Postby FindyourPath » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:38 pm

that begs the question which wire, where is it?
Any suggestions on how to do that?
I am not mechanically inclined at all!

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:46 am

since your not mechanically inclined i would suggest you have a stereo shop do it for you. i don't want to suggest anything and you fry a module.

gond34

Postby gond34 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:10 am

Finally got around to installing the back up camera this weekend... Works perfectly! While I was at it and had access to all the radio wires, I also decided it might be an optimal time to install the toggle switch for the DVD player. Mounted the toggle in the pocket under the climate controls and wired the relay to the brake... Just press the brake, flip the toggle, and wah-lah! Always on DVD! Been meaning to do this for a while just couldn't find the time... Actually much easier than I expected!

07-SV-650

Postby 07-SV-650 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 am

Do you have any details on how you wired the back up camera switch?

Vividcard

Postby Vividcard » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:58 am

I was pre-wiring my backup camera tonight and figured I would take the picture no one else has posted up. The cord in question is running over the tip of the screw driver with a tiny slit in the insulation, we did this to double check with a multi-meter (Not that I don't trust the people of this forum) Once we confirmed it was the cord we used a quick splice to run a cord from the drivers door sill to the back of the new stereo, once the harness shows up I will let you all know the results. hope the image helps.

mattheuw1

Postby mattheuw1 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:22 am

Old thread, but I'm planning the reverse cam install today. I'm wondering how everyone mounted their cameras? I have a license plate cam and still pondering how I'm going to get the wires into the truck. Planning on taking apart the rear paneling today.

mattheuw1

Postby mattheuw1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:51 am

Followed the instructions on PCOA's site.
http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4798

The picture links are broken but the process was pretty concise. I followed a different path for running the video wire up to the HU though. I planned on doing an always on camera so I could use it driving, but I ended up doing a traditional install instead. I like how it automatically pops the camera on the screen when I reverse. I installed a Koolertron camera and I would not recommend it. It was only $14 and it's pretty much a novelty. Its functional and all, but the colors are way off and I siliconed all of the seams as the reviews made it seem like it's really not waterproof. Perhaps some people like their greens purple and condensation in their cameras ;). I'll be swapping out the camera for something better once this one fails. If anyone has any questions about my install, let me know.

http://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-Licens ... B0049LBJ56

Russ25nys

Postby Russ25nys » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:14 pm

I just bought an 07 with the bose system and the nav. I was just telling my brother I'd like to add a back up cam. If I install one is it safe to say my control center/nav screen will show the view?

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:38 pm

I know this is super old now but it helped me find the reverse wire quick. But I am still having a hard time finding a hot wire for the positive side of the camera. I would like to find one in the hatch as my camera is oaths licence plate. Someone know where I can find a positive lead inside the hatch?

Btw, I found a wiring diagram PDf in case someone would like it http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/FixUr ... iagram.pdf

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”