Steering wheel lose

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

jens

Steering wheel lose

Postby jens » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:54 pm

I have 2006 PF and now recently my steering wheel feels like loose, have anyone experience that and what to do.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Is it the steering wheel or is it your steering that feels loose?

jens

Postby jens » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:48 pm

It is my steering wheel that feels loose, sometimes it is ok and sometimes it is like its loose.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:22 pm

If it's the steering wheel, the only thing I can think of is to disconnect your car from the battery, both positive and negative, remove the airbag that is on the steering wheel, and check the nut that holds the steering wheel down onto the steering column and make sure it's not loose.

If it's the steering that feels loose, I'd lift the front end of your vehicle, by the frame, than gab the front tires on each side hands at 3 and 9 clock positions and try and move it back and forth. Also do the same at the 12 and 6 clock positions and see if there is movement. If there is lots of movement, then your tierod ends and possible ball joints are bad and need to be replaced.

Hope that helps.

shaneb75

Postby shaneb75 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Hey all- I am resurrecting this thread because I have the same issue.

I have a 2006 Pathfinder. About a month ago we noticed a grinding sound coming from the steering column area when we turn the wheel. Well now the steering wheel is beginning to wobble side to side & up and down.

I have done a bit of research to find this is a pretty common problem in which Nissan hasn't taken ownership of..... That being said what I have read is that the Column needs to be replaced. My question is, does JUST the column need to be replaced or does a portion of the steering shaft require replacement as well?

Also has anybody here on this site attempted this job? My only concern is the steering wheel/air bag!!

TIA

Shane,

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:35 pm

I answered question in another area. There's an upper steering column service part available from Nissan, part #48811-EA260.

shaneb75

Postby shaneb75 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:53 am

I think its a bit funny that you knew that part number. Every place I called needed the VIN to get that exact part number, otherwise they came up with one like 48810-....

I will try to take as many pictures as I can and post them up....

Thanks again..

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:15 pm

shaneb75 wrote:I think its a bit funny that you knew that part number. Every place I called needed the VIN to get that exact part number, otherwise they came up with one like 48810-....

I will try to take as many pictures as I can and post them up....

Thanks again..
I have access to ALLDATA. I got the part number off of the Nissan TSB announcing the availability of the service part. Applies to 05-08 Pathfinder, Xterras and Frontiers w/ tilt (All Pathys have tilt). Non-tilt vehicles have a different part number.

shaneb75

Postby shaneb75 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Do you know if the part has been improved?

shaneb75

Postby shaneb75 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Ok, I was able to finally make time to get the steering column and coupler replaced. I would have to say that it was not that bad to do. Below is a step by step procedure from memory. Hopefully I didn’t miss anything… I will also try and post some pictures to my profile..

1. Park with the steering wheel at center. (Note) you will notice at the end of the steering shaft is a mark, it will be at the top center. I made sure that the new column went back in with this mark straight up just like it was when I started…
2. Disconnect negative side of battery, wait 10 minutes.
3. On the backside of the steering wheel is a hole. You are looking for a wire slightly bigger than a close hanger. Stick a small standard screwdriver in the hole; it will be almost verticle. Push the wire upward to release the airbag.
4. Carefully remove the airbag straight off of the steering wheel.
5. Remove the yellow and orange wires from the airbag by gently lifting up on the black tabs then unplugging the connector. Then unplug the green ground wire.
6. Loosen but don’t remove the 19mm nut holding the steering wheel. The grab the steering wheel and pull from side to side until it pops off. Then finish removing the 19mm nut.
7. Unplug the connector to the lower left of the steering wheel. Take note of where the wires are fed through the steering wheel.
8. Remove the steering wheel.
9. You will now have to remove the blinker assembly housing by removing the (3) screws on the bottom side. Then pry the top from the bottom.
10. Using masking tape, tape the Clock Spring in place so that it does not rotate. (Note) If this rotates, I understand that it can break the wires internally.
11. Remove the (4) connectors on the blinker assembly. (1) top right, (2) bottom right, and (1) bottom left.
12. Remove the 2 screws holding the blinker assembly, then push in the clip at the top center to remove the assembly.
13. Now it is time to remove the lower dash panel. This is held by (2) screws, (1) at the bottom right, and (1) hidden behind the door jam cover. Then pull to unclip from the dash.
14. You now have access to the column. Remove the steering coupler. (1) bolt at the top, and a bolt and nut at the bottom.
15. Unplug the 3 connectors from the ignition switch, as well as the white plastic clip on the bottom held on by a tiny screw.
16. Remove the ignition bezel.
17. Remove the (3) nuts and (1) bolt holding the steering column on.
18. Remove the steering column and ignition as one unit.
19. You will now have to remove the ignition from the steering column. This a pain because the bolts do not have a head of any kind. I had to use a chisel and punch to back the bolts out. I then ran to Home Depot and purchased 2 black machine allen head bolts to replace them with.
20. Install in reverse order…

I also posted this the thread I started...

shaneb75

Postby shaneb75 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:59 pm

BTW, the were NO bearing left at the top of the shaft. That is why it was moving from side to side and grinding...

I also don't understand why the coupler "has" to be replaced. I would save your money and just replace the column. I am wandering if one could just pull the old bearings out and replace it without replacing the entire column... That would make for a cheap fix...

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”