Add Bluetooth to a 2011 SV?

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

Winky

Add Bluetooth to a 2011 SV?

Postby Winky » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Just bought a new 2011 SV Sunday to replace the wife's 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. She wanted something more "truckish".
It has everything she needs on it except bluetooth which amazes me. I mean her 2007 had it. Can't imagine any vehicle made in 2011 not having it standard - and I wasn't going to get a Silver edition just for the bluetooth. So I guess I'll be hooking up a Parrot in the near future. Unless there is a better way to go??????

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:40 am

I just put a Parrot CK3000 EVO in my 2011 SV and it works great. Maybe even better than the original in the Silver Edition. Parrot is the way to go.

Winky

Postby Winky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks for the info.
I saw your review of the parrot on Amazon and it brought up some questions.
Which wiring harness did you get to connect to the factory radio?
Where did you mount the control unit?
Did you consider the version with the display?

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:10 pm

I have the AUX plug in my 2011 SV so there was no need for me to spend the extra money on the other Parrot's since they all include Bluetooth music (which I do not feel works as well as being hard wired through the AUX).

The display of my phone tells me everything I need to know including pictures so the visual of the other Parrot's is also not a must and actually less then what my phone can do. My HTC Droid phone is mounted so I can see it while driving.

I bought my CK3000 through Crutchfield. They have their own harnesses for less than $30 and Crutchfield sells you their merchandise with a tech support guarantee; however, I did not need to call them since the install instructions that came with the package from Crutchfield also has pictures and good verbal instructions on how to get to the back of the radio.

Install was easy and fool proof since the connectors will only fit in their perspective male and female fittings. There is no way you can use a wrong plug. I had to guess a bit on the mute wire but I used the #2 because they were both yellow and it worked fine. Hardest thing was finding a location for the remote since it is hard wired. I ended up putting it next to the shifter between the cup holder and the flip up tray next to the shifter. It is nice and flat there and easily accessible from the armrest. Also the wire tucks in nicely underneath (I did use my Dremmel tool to carve out a very small notch for the wire so that the plastic cup holder fitting would not stand out). The mic I placed on the steering column because it was very easy to tuck its wire away and underneath the steering column. The placement of the mic is perfect and it picks up your voice nicely (see pics below).

I velcroed the Bluetooth receiver box (control unit) on top of the storage tray where the AUX input is. It slid right into place when I reinstalled it. The wires along with the harness have plenty of room back there as well.

Last edited by hfrez on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winky

Postby Winky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Sounds great.
I really didn't see a place to mount the one with a display that wouldn't look ridiculous, so I'll get the one without a display and mount it where you did.
Did the info from Crutchfield include how to take apart the console? I've installed about a dozen multi-amp stereo systems over the years, but those were in my cars. God help me if I scratch the wife's new console.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:50 pm

You won't believe how easy it comes apart. Yes, Crutchfield gives you step by step instructions on how to take it apart with pictures.

Winky

Postby Winky » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:12 am

Should be easy enough then.
I forgot to ask where did you mount the microphone?

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:21 am

I edited my earlier post and added some pics. I hope this helps.

Winky

Postby Winky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:51 pm

The kit and harness arrived and I will install it this weekend.
I looked at a Pathfinder with factory bluetooth today and the microphone is in the overhead console near the rear a/c knobs.
Are you still satisfied with your placement of the microphone on the steering column? If there is no road noise and it picks up your voice well enough I probably won't bother running the wire behind the A-pillar and across the top of the windshield.

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm very satisfied with the placement of the mic. I have had no complaints at all about any other noises being picked up. I struggled with the thought of putting it on the overhead counsel but it is not necessary unless you feel it should be there. I believe in keeping it simple and if it works why not.

Winky

Postby Winky » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 am

So it's installed and working fine. Thanks for the info and great pictures.
I ended up mounting the control box vertically on the left side of the cubby on top of aux jack. If fits perfectly and she will never use the aux jack anyway. She was more worried about spilling something on it if I mounted in near the cupholders.
I tried posting a pic but I don't use a hosting service.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”