4pin to 7 pin conversion

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

asgard

4pin to 7 pin conversion

Postby asgard » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:52 pm

I have a 2007 LE with the 4 wire connection mounted beside the hitch receiver. I am looking to put on a 7 pin.

Is there a kit from Nissan.? also is the wiring loom already there for connection and where can you find it?

Thanks

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:41 am

Sure thing. Nissan sells a 7Pin harness that will replace your 4Pin. Just need to plug and mount and your ready to go. You can even install an electronic brake the Pathfinder is already prewired for it.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:40 pm

The local RV dealer had a harness that attaches your brake controller to an existing harness under the dash. I did have to run my own brake wire to the rear but that is all I had to do. The new 7 pin + 4 pin I chose was prewired to plug into the existing 4 pin. No need to splice into lights, etc. Check online sources & they will describe with pictures what is needed.

asgard

Postby asgard » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks to those who replied. I have been looking further into the setup. I have found on the Curt website they do a 4 pin plug in to 7 pin outlet, seems tidy and simple to do, it also has additional wires that I assume take the trailer brake addition. They also do a trailer brake kit and associated wiring harness. Has anyone tried this setup and do you have to run an additional wire back.
If you use the Nissan 7 pin kit and the Nissan harness for brake controller I assume the wires are already in place. However reading the thread on the connection of the P3 to the Nissan harness it was not plug and play - or did I misunderstand the wiring match-up.

It say on Courtesy site you need a relay after 06, is this for 06 or from 06 onwards?

P3 plus harness
http://www.etrailer.com/multi-product.a ... &hunter=bc

Curt also does a duplex plug with both 7 pin and 4 pin that plugs into the existing 4 pin for $29 and some controllers and harness options. Anybody used Curt stuff?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:00 pm

I'd stick with the OEM nissan harness. It's plug and play and everything works perfect. No point in cutting wires and trying to make things work, when NIssan has everything wired up for a plug and play install.

asgard

Postby asgard » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:56 am

I understand the principal of Nissan parts from essential but as you have to buy an aftermarket brake controller anyway I don't see the problem with a harness for your vehicle from that source. having looked at the tech pages for several controllers it appears to be a simple wiring job without the harness, 2 connections to the battery, inline fuse, tracer from the brake light switch and a line back to the plug - no need for NASA on that one. As for the rear adapter, the one I mentioned takes its connection via the factory fitted 4 pin round connection and transfers it to the duplex outlet with both 7 pin and 4 pin on the one plate, the additional leads allow for the brake controller and back up lights.
I have priced out the entire assembly at $102 US, contoller, harness and plug unit the dealer wants $92 Can for the plug- OK it is cheaper via Courtesy.
I don't use it that often, so price is key.

Plngeek

Postby Plngeek » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:32 am

Looks like the prices have come down significantly since I bought my P3 back in 2009. What I did in my 2005 was install the P3, using the 3050-P harness you linked to. That is completely plug and play at both the controller and vehicle ends, and it will take you longer to physically mount the controller in the car than it will to wire it up.

As far as getting 7-pin at the back, I went with this ( http://www.courtesyparts.com/receiver-h ... _7314_7631&) which replaced the current 4-pin in the back, and is again, plug & play, so the entire job was about 15 mins with no "manual" wiring needed. This setup worked great for the 2.5 years I towed with the PF. As you can see from hfrez's pic above, that plate also makes a great place to put the valves for your airbags if you go that route. I had mine in exactly the same place.

asgard

Postby asgard » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:14 am

Well I ordered the parts yesterday , I went for a P3 unit over my original thought of a Curt discovery, that was a timed unit where the P3 is a proportional, it is also an automatic setup . I bought the P3 matching harness so that part is done. The relay - large brown one was also purchase from e-trailer for $9 approx better than the $24 from Nissan. I have chosen a different setup on the back. I already have my airlift valves mounted through the bottom edge of the rear fender so that is done. Because I tow a variety of trailers with both 7 pin and 4 pin I chose a Hopkins duplex plug, it has both & pin and 4 pin mounted - so no adapter needed. It connects into the existing 4 pin flat and then the trailer brake etc will be hard wired.
Does the grey plug at the back only give the blue trailer brake connection or is there a 12 volt live there as well.
I will take some pictures of the setup
thanks for all your help - especially -Plngeek who answered a couple of PMs

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:55 am

Any issues with the mounting screws? I've been trying to mount a custom bracket in the pre-drilled holes. The diagram below states they are M8 size but I can't get M8 bolts to run through - too big. And M7 falls out.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asistgc_ ... W/1SW2.PDF

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:50 pm

Mine were M8x1.25

Return to “R51 Electrical”