Steering/front vibration

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Spamcan

Steering/front vibration

Postby Spamcan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:48 pm

In the last few weeks I've been getting a high frequency vibration which seems to come from the front end. I feel it well in the steering wheel. At first I thought it would be a wheel needing balancing or rock stuck in the tread. But the tires are clean, and the frequency is way too fast. It could be a woman's vibrator! :shock: It really becomes apparent at @ 40MPH and is most apparent at 60-65MPH. Now I'm thinking a u-joint on the front half-shafts or bearing on the wheels may be the issue.

I seem to recall some post or issue with the half-shaft, but I cannot find it. Any ideas on how to find the issue? Or how hard it is to change the shafts? And best place to get replacements?

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:26 am

the hardest part of replacing the U-joints is getting the bolts off. They are in a tight location and appear to be attached with red Loctite. After trying for 1/2 hour to get those bolts off I decided to replace the joints while the shaft was still in the truck.

However, I should mention that I did this on a lift with various air tools

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:42 pm

I was afraid of that. There's a small hope, I realized my aftermarket warranty I bought just may cover this. I just hope I can narrow down what it is for sure before I have to pay a diagnostic fee.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:59 pm

For peace of mind, I'd still look at having your tires rebalanced and maybe rotated. Possible that a belt in the tire broke loose and that is giving you the bad vibration.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 pm

High-frequency fibration is most likely something in your drivetrain - driveshafts being the most common culprit. Being an 05 model, id look into that first. Wheels will not give you high-frequency vibration at 40-60MPH.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks slavabon and volite. I'm pretty sure now that it's the drive train (u-joint most likely). I can feel a difference when in a turn and when the suspension compresses when hitting a hill or whatnot. That change of angle of the shafts seems to "relieve" the strain or whatever causing the vibration. Probable a bearing in the joint giving way or got hit and out of round or binding up.

Guess I'll give the warranty a try at the dealer.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Hey Spam you might want to check the play on your wheel bearings. I just replaced the right front "Hub Assembly" on mine this past weekend. Your symptoms were identical to mine. There is even a TSB on them stating collision is the culprit. I do aim for the puddles most of the time, but I'm not exactly aiming for curbs. If you end up needing to replace the assembly and have a 4x4 your going to need an impact wrench.
www.Nissanhelp.com is a good resource for TSBs

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Very cool, thanks Fofiddy! Very well could be a culprit, I run the fire roads up here a lot. I do have an impact wrench, so that'll be much easier than a shaft. How much was a bearing kit/parts? Where'd you get yours?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:59 pm

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks for the link fofiddy. Looks like I've gotta try the dealer. I have a 3rd party warranty which should cover this at $100 deductible. Have an appt Tuesday.

Today I did some testing. Luckily I also have an Xterra with near same size tires. So I swapped all 4 tires between rigs. The vibration was still there, so tires are not the issue. I also coasted down a road, engine at idle. The vibration was consistent and constant with speed, regardless of engine RPM's. So not an engine issue either.

I really needed to do these tests because my dealer isn't too great, and yet is the only one even close by. But I'll see what happens Tuesday...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Well hopfully you can get this covered under you warranty. It's a better feeling when you don't have to pay out of pocket for repairs.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:20 pm

From what I've read on the "What's covered" portion of the policy, bearings, u-joints and near all are covered (not things like bushing and shocks). I've never used it (filed a warranty claim), and it expires in July. So it would be nice to get my $'s worth for it!

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Just got back from the dealer, says I need front and rear u-joints replaced. They called in to get the repair approved by the 3rd party warranty, I got approved. Parts are on order. Guess things work out every now and then. Then again, I did pay for it up front though...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:45 pm

Glad it worked out for you.

Spamcan

Postby Spamcan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:20 am

The proof will be how I get it back, and how long they take. Wish I trusted them more, or at least the service adviser.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”