double din mounting kit

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

rtcaravan

double din mounting kit

Postby rtcaravan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:06 pm

just bought a boss double din stereo for the 06 pathfinder and it came with brackets that look like they are for mounting. did anyone else have brackets come with there stereo ? or am i still going to need a kit other than the wiring kit?

mattheuw1

Postby mattheuw1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:45 pm

I didn't "need" a dash kit with my 2 din pioneer, however, there is a small <cm gap above the cd player that the dash kit covers. For really clean look, get the kit. If you don't mind a tiny gap, then don't bother with the kit.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:29 pm

Yes exactly this^, you do not need a kit. And if you do buy a kit get the Metra kit but all you will use is the very small trim piece that surrounds the outside face of the unit to help fill the gap and make it more aesthetic.

Kit is $20 or $25, cant remember but i like a clean look so i got it, the rest of the stuff inside the kit gets thrown away, you will not need it.

It's very easy to do this install, just look at the radio and set the middle trim piece (one from the factory) in place before you put everything back together because the radio brackets may need to be slightly adjusted to have it sitting perfectly level.

That's all i can think of, enjoy and post pics sir.

mattheuw1

Postby mattheuw1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:25 am

I got a Metra dash kit from ebay ($13) for mine but it was ordered last and arrived about a week after all of my other install stuff. Came with faceplate and 2 pieces of plastic for mounting it. I ended up installing everything without the dash kit and it looks fine, however, there is the slight gap. I plan on installing the dash kit today to clean it up a bit. I'm going to try to mod it so I can still use the stock mounting hardware as it's metal and I don't trust the plastic hardware on the Metra.

This stereo install was very easy, but I would definitely recommend a panel pry tool if you don't have one. This is my first install using one and they are amazing! One thing that I would do different next time is get a double din that has reverse tilt. For some reason the stock stereo had a slight tilt on it that really adds some nasty glare to my double din. I'm hoping there is some sort of anti-glare sticker protector I can put on to fix that.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”