Any high mileage R51's out there with little problems?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Fossilfuelburner

Postby Fossilfuelburner » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:41 am

I'm the original owner of 2005 Pathfinder that just rolled past 200,000 miles. It's never been to the dealer. I perform all of the service myself and the vehicle has been reliable and cheap to maintain.

I changed the engine oil every 7,500 using Mobil 1. The transmission oil has been changed every 20,000 miles using Castrol Multi Import Vehicle. Changed the spark plugs twice, at 95,000 and 190,000 miles. Coolant every 30,000 miles, diff fluid every 60,000 and changed the power steering fluid a few times.

3 parts that failed and left the vehicle undrivable:

163K, driveshaft u-joint (mechanical). Bought and installed a new u-joint from AutoZone for $15.
187K, crankshaft position sensor (electrical) started acting up and engine would randomly die. Purchased factory part at Advanced Auto/CarQuest for $38.
190K, heater core elbow (mechanical) at passenger side firewall cracked when I was replacing spark plugs and PCV valve. Instead of replacing the entire heater hose assembly for over $200, I purchased a t-fitting from PepBoy's, heater core hose and hose clamps for $15 and made the repair.

Minor failure not affecting drivability:
176K, rear lift gate actuator stopped locking. Replaced with factory part for $142.
Liftgate struts have been replaced twice.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:37 pm

My friend just texted me this pic. He has a 2010 :lol:

https://flic.kr/p/Wk7Uin

wpeej

Postby wpeej » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:04 am

198K miles. Radiator replaced (leaking into ATF). Large vacuum leak was throwing Cat insufficiency codes...fixed the leak and avoided $1000 repair to replace the cats!

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:03 pm

'05 Path. Bought it in Sept '06 with 16K miles. I'm the second owner.
Just turned 220K on it this week.
I've done most all the work/ maintenance on it and it has had some of the common problems known for the early models. Funny thing is I put so many miles on it in the early years that I was fixing things before Nissan even considered the problems for recalls/ bulletins.
Replaced the fuel sender, IPDM module, and trans valve body within the first 3 or 4 years.
Did the trans cooler bypass many moons ago but it was well after putting a 100K on it. Never had the common trans cooler failure.

I feel like the above stuff were the things that can be directly linked to being a new model.
The stuff listed below falls into repairs and maintenance that anyone can expect of owning a car for 12 years and driving it over 200K.

Changed the plugs at 95K and at 210K.
The valve cover gaskets started seeping a bit this last year so I changed the gaskets while I had the intake off to change the plugs.
Replaced the thermostat a few years ago just "because". Figured it wouldn't hurt for the age of it.
One of the cam sensors (bank 1) and the crank sensor went out along the way. Bank 2 cam sensor is still original.
Oh yeah, while thinkin' about Bank 1/ Bank 2, etc... After 200K the left front Cat went out. Two years later I finally replaced the right front Cat.
The U-joints in the drive shaft went out after 200K.
I just replaced the original fan clutch along with the tensioner and idler pulleys.

There are some things that simply amaze me that are still original...

Ball joints, tie rod ends, CV boots, wheel hubs/ bearings, A/C compressor, alternator, engine and transmission (along with most of the related seals).
TPMS sensors are original and have seen 3 different sets of wheels!! I think the internal battery in them is finally starting to go bad though, I've been getting random faulty pressure readings for them this year.
Oh yeah, the windshield was original until two weeks ago. A rock on the Tollroad at 85 mph finally retired the oem windshield. Lol!

Firefighter3244

Postby Firefighter3244 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:00 pm

Im sure im bumping an old thread here... But 08 se 4.0 with 199,500 miles.
We've owned it since 150k in summer 2015. No real issues, Motor mounts is all ive fixed.

I still get a vibration when rpm dips to 500 when we come to a stop, I thought it was motor mounts but it didn't fix it. Maybe Idle air control valve to keep it
from diping to 500 rpm? It shakes the car when it dips that low. No way we can sell it like this, but it's been like this for 50k miles (We bought it thinking it was just a motor mount )

Gottcha86

Postby Gottcha86 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:22 pm

06 LE 176,000 and other than the belt tensioner issue and just now a hole in the exhaust not much but oil, breaks, and tires. OH and the plastic coolant line on the fire wall broke with was fixed with none nissan parts so it would not break again.

NISS05LE

2005 Pathfinder LE 2WD - High Mileage

Postby NISS05LE » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:46 pm

Hello everyone, I have not logged in here in a long time, sorry.

I'm a proud original owner of a fully loaded 2005 model, purchased off the trailer on Oct 2004 from first delivery to dealer. I have 260k miles on this baby. Still runs strong, towing a pop-up trailer, over 3500 lbs. to date. I'll list the high's and lows, overall it's been an amazing workhorse. LOF serviced every 6-7k mile intervals.

Upgrades:

Full Synthetic Oil Changes from day one. Mobil 1 (10w30)
Bilstein Strut/Shocks.
AirLift bags in rear coils.
Always replaced with good tires (General, Continental, Toyo, etc)
Always replaced front & rear rotors with new pads (Centric Premium)

Lows:

At 65k, had a stalling issue that was covered under extended warranty, took it to dealer 3 times for the same issue until it was resolved. After replacing the ECU & Throttle Body - issue was a faulty temp sensor.

At 195k, the rear DVD gave out, no longer playing video. I replaced it with a used one from LKQ - it also stopped playing at about 250k. I have not replaced it again.

Sometime in between, the rear glass hinges (right side) came loose, the pins bent so I have to push to side and close the rear glass door.

Also, the A/C temp stopped working between 65-75 degrees, It was either cold or hot, no in between setting. I didn't mind it, left it alone since. I've recharged the A/C once a year for maintenance.

At 230k, from one day to the next, the engine would start and shut off after 10-15 seconds. Kept trying and pulled a U1000 fault code, then it would not even crank. Towed it into my shop, diagnosed bad TCU (Transmission Control module) Dealer wanted over $1k for a replacement. I figured, with 230k on the original trans, I'd look into a used one since I was not sure if I'd keep it much longer. Found a used one off an Xterra for $1400 and installed it. Been running ever since.

At this time, I also replaced the original radiator, heater hose assembly, heater valve and flushed coolant fluid.

Highs

Low maintenance.
Dependable, other than the 65k mile issue, never left us stranded.
Can pull/tow amazingly well.
No chassis noise.
Still running strong.

Every year, we go somewhere out of state, I'm from Southern CA. It's been up North to Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, on multiple trips. I drove this vehicle to Colorado/Utah last year on a 2800 mile road trip. We've been fortunate to visit many state parks numerous times in the West, lots of memories.

I wish Nissan still made this on a frame body, I'd buy another but it's now getting older and worn looking. Time to upgrade size too since kids are getting bigger. We'll see how much longer it'll go for, we're keeping it till the end. Maybe do a VQ swap into an older Datsun later with this drivetrain, lol.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:19 am

Keep 'em coming fellas this is great stuff! :D

NISS05LE

Re: 2005 Pathfinder LE 2WD - High Mileage

Postby NISS05LE » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:34 am

NISS05LE wrote:Hello everyone, I have not logged in here in a long time, sorry.

I'm a proud original owner of a fully loaded 2005 model, purchased off the trailer on Oct 2004 from first delivery to dealer. I have 260k miles on this baby. Still runs strong, towing a pop-up trailer, over 3500 lbs. to date. I'll list the high's and lows, overall it's been an amazing workhorse. LOF serviced every 6-7k mile intervals.

Upgrades:

Full Synthetic Oil Changes from day one. Mobil 1 (10w30)
Bilstein Strut/Shocks.
AirLift bags in rear coils.
Always replaced with good tires (General, Continental, Toyo, etc)
Always replaced front & rear rotors with new pads (Centric Premium)

Lows:

At 65k, had a stalling issue that was covered under extended warranty, took it to dealer 3 times for the same issue until it was resolved. After replacing the ECU & Throttle Body - issue was a faulty temp sensor.

At 195k, the rear DVD gave out, no longer playing video. I replaced it with a used one from LKQ - it also stopped playing at about 250k. I have not replaced it again.

Sometime in between, the rear glass hinges (right side) came loose, the pins bent so I have to push to side and close the rear glass door.

Also, the A/C temp stopped working between 65-75 degrees, It was either cold or hot, no in between setting. I didn't mind it, left it alone since. I've recharged the A/C once a year for maintenance.

At 230k, from one day to the next, the engine would start and shut off after 10-15 seconds. Kept trying and pulled a U1000 fault code, then it would not even crank. Towed it into my shop, diagnosed bad TCU (Transmission Control module) Dealer wanted over $1k for a replacement. I figured, with 230k on the original trans, I'd look into a used one since I was not sure if I'd keep it much longer. Found a used one off an Xterra for $1400 and installed it. Been running ever since.

At this time, I also replaced the original radiator, heater hose assembly, heater valve and flushed coolant fluid.

Highs

Low maintenance.
Dependable, other than the 65k mile issue, never left us stranded.
Can pull/tow amazingly well.
No chassis noise.
Still running strong.

Every year, we go somewhere out of state, I'm from Southern CA. It's been up North to Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, on multiple trips. I drove this vehicle to Colorado/Utah last year on a 2800 mile road trip. We've been fortunate to visit many state parks numerous times in the West, lots of memories.

I wish Nissan still made this on a frame body, I'd buy another but it's now getting older and worn looking. Time to upgrade size too since kids are getting bigger. We'll see how much longer it'll go for, we're keeping it till the end. Maybe do a VQ swap into an older Datsun later with this drivetrain, lol.
Oh, maybe I should (forgot to mention) the Check Engine Light has been on/off since 225k for Catalytic Converter. Everytime we go on a long road trip, it goes off for several weeks. Comes on/off again. We're always traveling in this thing so it has not been an issue. However, this last trip, it stayed on and now I'm thinking it's time to replace them. But I'm going to replace all the O2's first and see if it helps... lol ☺

chezler

Postby chezler » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Hey ya'all
'06 SE with 164,000. Had it for 2-1/2 years, I've put 25,000 of those miles on it. Occasionally have a 3500 lb. trailer in tow, probably only 500 miles total towing. Two trips from Ohio to Connecticut and back, and two to North Carolina. (18 to 20 MPG freeway, 15 to 16 local).

First thing I did after purchase was to Google it. Within a week I did the radiator bypass. Also changed the ATF while I was down there. (Supertek from Wally World). Oil and filter at the same time. Wally World Full Syn, and I only use WIX oil filters on EveryThing.
Then I put on the Air Lift 1000 bags. Great, those things.

Last year got the O2 code, and a Auto dealer Master-Tech friend of mine gave me a can of stuff, ( can't remember what it was called) You suck it in through a vacuum line and it cleans everything. He said to run it through then put it on the freeway for about an hour. Didn't even take an hour and the light went off and has never come back on.
I know my back cats are bad, (same temp coming out as going in) but as long as the light stays off, they are staying on.

Last fall the compressor clutch died. Collected the parts needed over the winter and just as the weather cleared, the rear gas tank strap broke. (Right after I filled it up). Rockauto Rocks. Same exact straps AutoZone and Advance had for $45 and $50, RockAuto had for $18.00. Used ratchet straps to hold the tank up till I could run out a full tank of gas. The hardest bolt to get to, up top broke, so I had to drop the tank to drill it out. Got a class 10.9 bolt and fished it in from the top, put a jam nut on, and now have a stud for the strap.
While under there, I noticed both rear springs were broken. Back to RockAuto. MOOG springs and a pair of shocks for under $100.00 Rides and handles like I still have the AirLift 1000 bags on, (which I don't)
Springs were a breeze (No spring compressor needed). The shocks' top bolts took all day and lots of cuss words to get them off. I used a dremel to cut off that stupid nut-holder they had welded on for the bottom bolts. Who was the genius who thought that up??? All this up on 4 jack stands, on my back.

After 4 days under the Pathy, I can finally do the compressor clutch. Thanks to this forum, and all the great info here, I went at it from the top. Pulled the fan shroud, both fans, Changed both radiator hoses, used a Gates tensioner, Dayco idler, and Dayco Poly-Rib W-profile belt. Also did like the service bulletin said about holding the tensioner clock-wise to give it more tension. Changed the radiator juice while I was at it.

I hope that's all for a while, I really like my Pathy.

Graham W

Postby Graham W » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:59 am

127,000 on mine, bought it at 118,000.

Previous owner had the recalls done, steering bolts, driveshaft bolts and battery.
They also had the radio replaced under warranty as the satnav failed.

Ive had a new rear spring and front droplinks.

Has had a recent service. The Fuel filter i change regular as always find they perform better.
Passed the MOT yesterday. Trans and gearbox oils need changing asap so thats over the next few weeks. Probably jinxed the 'all is well' by posting lol

billdurham

2005 SE 4X4 108k

Postby billdurham » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:46 pm

I bought my 05 in 08.. it had 36k miles on it then and has 108k now and I think I'm the 2nd owner. It has been a real trooper as far as I am concerned. The 4.0 runs like a scalded dog.. and does a pretty good job of pulling my 18' center console flats boat. My only issue with it is stopping the boat.. I'm not 100% comfortable with stopping it pulling the boat with out allowing lots of room between me and the car in front of me. I did the by pass after I got a code for the transmission. I had the tranny flushed and also did the coolant flush as I had milky tranny fluid as well as oil in the coolant. After both flushes and the bypass, I haven't had any issues with it. Over the years I have replaced the front wheel drive Ujoint.. Oil pressure sensor, one of the cooling fans, rear tail gate shocks (twice). When I bought it, the CD player ate a CD and my dealer replaced the radio for me..
Its been a great car and I am approaching a 4 tire replacement and thinking about getting an Armada to replace it. I don't drive it that much any more so the gas mileage hit won't be that big of a deal for me, but I think it will stop my boat better and pull it with no issues at all. This is my 2nd PF, first was a 1995 that I drove until I replaced it in 08. it was just as good a car for me.

slapdash

Postby slapdash » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:26 am

Clay350 wrote:Thats all good to hear. I was starting to think I bought the wrong vehicle.
Thats always a worry eh, don't forget the commentary is always disproportionate in leaning towards problems.

Mine is a late 10' plate with 120k haven't had any major problems for ages.
Last one was the alternator pulley was causing belt squeak, had seared off somehow. But not an inherent pathfinder problem.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:27 am

Any R51 over 300 thousand miles?
Over 480,000 kilometers?

If so , same engine and transmission?

m.powerpt

Postby m.powerpt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:18 am

2011 silver with 136k on it. regular maintenance, fluids etc. leaked a bit of power steering fluid but havent had a problem since i got the fluid with the sealer in it to fill back up.( knock on wood).
i did have to replace the hydraulic for the tailgate.
only issues ive had have been what seems to be electrical. ive seen people post about the clock having the wrong time after you turn off the car. that the cd player always go back a specific disc and song, regardless of what was playing when i turned off the car. more recently my driver front window has been acting up and taking a few minutes of holding the switch to go up or down. the steering wheel controls wont work for audio.
im hoping that replacing a fuse will solve this, just havent gotten to it yet. all in all i love it!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”