Armada Swap - No more playing around

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Frozen

Armada Swap - No more playing around

Postby Frozen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:21 pm

So I've decided to tackle a Armada swap on a 08 SE.

I know the V8 Path shares the same diffs as the Armada. And I know I can do the Titan/Armada UCA,LCA swap up front. I believe I can also swap in the front diff and axles of a Armada.

The big question is the rear. I believe I can put a Armada rear diff in the Path. But what about the rear UCA and LCA?

I will also have to figure out fender flares all around since I'll be around 6in wider.

Has anyone attempted this? Or thought it out? Any tips? Advice? Am I just plain crazy?

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:01 pm

yes, you can do anything. I believe in you.

post lots of pics.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:20 am

What's the cost/benefit of doing this swap? I've seen some threads on the frontier forum about the swap but don't see the benefit of doing this.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:58 pm

DO IT!!! I thought about it a while back. I did enough research to know that it's pricey but mechanically straight forward. You'll get more wheel travel and better stability off road at higher speeds. Spring and shock tuning might be an issue once all the parts are fitted.

I didn't so it for two reasons:

1 - too expensive

2 - makes my PF too wide for several of my favorite trails.

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:44 pm

volvite wrote:What's the cost/benefit of doing this swap? I've seen some threads on the frontier forum about the swap but don't see the benefit of doing this.
This
IcedTeasley wrote:You'll get more wheel travel and better stability off road at higher speeds.
Mainly looking to gain more wheel travel.

Found a complete rear assembly from a Armada, atleast the english speaking russian says it's complete. Crossmember,UCA's,LCA's, diff, axles, hubs, shocks, springs and rotors. All for $1550 shipped, so they are on their way!

Lets see how much trouble I get myself into. Also does anyone know there is a locker for the Armada diffs M205 and R230? Haven't found one yet. Well it seems the ARB makes one but not the the US gear ratio? WTF? And it seems that ARB now makes lockers for the paths stock diffs, which would suck swapping to Armada and losing lockers.

I am really looking hard into doing this. At least, I can do the front Titan swap since I already have the same front diff (M205) as the Titan/Armada. Near the end of this year, 4x4parts will release a locker for the M205. Later, I can do the Armada swap for the rear since I already have the same rear as the Armada (R230).

The Pathy shares the exact suspension as the Fronty and the X, so you have tons of options there.

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:45 pm

I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

Post lots of pics, I can't wait until we retire my wife's Pathy from DD and I can molest it.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:15 pm

6" wider? That sounds cool. Are you going to lift it too?

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 pm

duh, Pythagoras dictates it.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:45 pm

BattleWagon wrote:duh, Pythagoras dictates it.
In mathematics, the Pythagorean theorem or Pythagoras' theorem is a relation in Euclidean geometry among the three sides of a right triangle (right-angled triangle). In terms of areas, it states:

In any right triangle, the area of the square whose side is the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the areas of the squares whose sides are the two legs (the two sides that meet at a right angle).

The theorem can be written as an equation relating the lengths of the sides a, b and c, often called the Pythagorean equation:[1]

a^2 + b^2 = c^2\!\,

where c represents the length of the hypotenuse, and a and b represent the lengths of the other two sides.

The Pythagorean theorem is named after the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, who by tradition is credited with its discovery and proof,[2][3] although it is often argued that knowledge of the theorem predates him. There is evidence that Babylonian mathematicians understood the formula, although there is little surviving evidence that they fitted it into a mathematical framework.[4][5]

The theorem has numerous proofs, possibly the most of any mathematical theorem. These are very diverse, including both geometric proofs and algebraic proofs, with some dating back thousands of years. The theorem can be generalized in various ways, including higher-dimensional spaces, to spaces that are not Euclidean, to objects that are not right triangles, and indeed, to objects that are not triangles at all, but n-dimensional solids. The Pythagorean theorem has attracted interest outside mathematics as a symbol of mathematical abstruseness, mystique, or intellectual power; popular references in literature, plays, musicals, songs, stamps and cartoons abound.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Wikipedia. Love it.

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:36 pm

awww man my thread totally just got greeked up!

But yes due to increased width I will be gaining increased suspension travel and will have a high ride height. I will most likely be going with custom coil overs also increasing ride height.

But on the other hand I am very concerned about how much the increased width will effect where I can go off road. I do more expedition style trips then anything else. And I'm on lots of trails that are overgrown and haven't been used in years so this is a bit concerning. Will be looking at how much of a negative or how small of a offset I can run on the armada setup to try and truck the wheels in as much as possible.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:02 pm

Frozen wrote:awww man my thread totally just got greeked up!

But yes due to increased width I will be gaining increased suspension travel and will have a high ride height. I will most likely be going with custom coil overs also increasing ride height.

But on the other hand I am very concerned about how much the increased width will effect where I can go off road. I do more expedition style trips then anything else. And I'm on lots of trails that are overgrown and haven't been used in years so this is a bit concerning. Will be looking at how much of a negative or how small of a offset I can run on the armada setup to try and truck the wheels in as much as possible.
I have been thinking about doing the same for quite some time. Let me know the status the project, and I think we can both help each other out.

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:54 pm

rragpaoa wrote:
I have been thinking about doing the same for quite some time. Let me know the status the project, and I think we can both help each other out.
I've got some parts sitting in my garage but this project has been put on hold for a bit. I want to get the truck fully built on stock suspension and get some use of it ASAP. I will be doing the PRG lift and the hopefully this summer taking another look at the Armada swap. I will be swapping diffs pretty soon most likely.

How concerned are you with the extra width? Any idea on how much fender will need to be cut for clearance?

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:41 pm

I do have to take the width into consideration, as well as cutting the fenders. I want the extra travel, but the current width has been perfect in tight spots. However, I'm leaning towards the extra travel. I can always figure out the line in tight areas.

From the Xterra and Frontier thread, when they do the Titan swap up front, they are not cutting the fenders at all. They put wheel spacers at back to match the width up front and not cutting the fenders.

Keep us posted.

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:41 am

rragpaoa wrote:I do have to take the width into consideration, as well as cutting the fenders. I want the extra travel, but the current width has been perfect in tight spots. However, I'm leaning towards the extra travel. I can always figure out the line in tight areas.

From the Xterra and Frontier thread, when they do the Titan swap up front, they are not cutting the fenders at all. They put wheel spacers at back to match the width up front and not cutting the fenders.

Keep us posted.
are they running stock size tires? or 33's? The few xterra threads I've read they cut the front fenders. Also how much more travel do you think we will actually gain I havent taken any measurements yet to start working that out, have you? Do you know how much the xterra's are gaining?

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”