Great Wall Motor Company

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Great Wall Motor Company

Postby Gray » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:38 pm

I wonder if we'll see any of these on the trails in the near future;

http://www.gwm.com.cn/eng/index.asp

http://www.chinacartimes.com/

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:36 am

Japan used to be at the same industrial level as China is now, so I can only see China moving up in the world following the same path. Chinese mfrs have already made agreements to with the US and have their vehicles on the way, so it's only a matter of time before we see a number of Chinese vehicles on the roads. The Koreans were in the same position a number of years ago, and still don't have too much of a presence in the US, but they seem to be doing well enough here. Besides, someone has to step in here when all the US mfrs. go tits up. I mean come on, discontinuing the Jeep Commander? What took so long? That vehicle was a joke the day it was revealed.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:37 am

I hardly think the US Automakers are being measured for coffins anytime soon, especially with the new Global Market. US Auto makers are finally giving mainstream consumers what they want; Foreign Vehicles with a MerKan' badge (just look at GM).

Personally I think the GW's might have a hard time based on their name alone. Hopfully their G Dubbya won't be such an Embarassment.
But their lineup... can you say FUGRY? I for one would rather drive a Commander and I hate Jeep with a seething passion from past experience.

As for Koreans being deemed equal, It aint so. Is it a world class product, certainly. Has their product improved immensly, without a doubt.
This fairly recent image took 20 years of horror stories. Visually their vehicles like the Chinses but not to the same extent, are plaguerism of esablished marks. Tell me current Hyundai Tiburon visually isn't a Supra, a Mustang and 911 (said scoffingly) design elements tossed into a blender. Don't even get me started on the Optima or Amanti that tried to look like a Jag (gag). But for me to say I'd even consider test driving one in my next vehicle hunt with out busting into laughter immediately would require the convesation would require the use of an alternate dimension.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 am

Fofiddy wrote:I hardly think the US Automakers are being measured for coffins anytime soon, especially with the new Global Market. US Auto makers are finally giving mainstream consumers what they want
I guess that's a matter of opinion. I personally don't see US mfrs offering up what people want. Maybe not coffins, but when mfrs. are talking about slashing half their existing vehicles, or moving all similar vehicles from umbrella brands into 1 brand, more layoffs, dismal economic reports, it's pretty obvious they are not doing well (here in the US).
As for Koreans being deemed equal, It aint so. Is it a world class product, certainly. Has their product improved immensly, without a doubt.
This fairly recent image took 20 years of horror stories. Visually their vehicles like the Chinses but not to the same extent, are plaguerism of esablished marks. Tell me current Hyundai Tiburon visually isn't a Supra, a Mustang and 911 (said scoffingly) design elements tossed into a blender. Don't even get me started on the Optima or Amanti that tried to look like a Jag (gag). But for me to say I'd even consider test driving one in my next vehicle hunt with out busting into laughter immediately would require the convesation would require the use of an alternate dimension.
I didn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers by posting what I really thought of the Korean rise to success. They were, however, exactly as the Chinese are now: take a product apart from another mfr/country, then re-engineer it and put on a Chinese badge. The Koreans still seem to copy a bit from others, but they have also been able to create entirely new things, rather than copies. Anyway, I could go on and on about this whole thing, but I really don't want to start stepping on toes.

I wouldn't buy a Hyundai, but I'd give it a test drive. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to set foot in a Chinese car though. I'd probably prefer one of those dismal looking Eastern European cars.

Return to “General Automotive”