Hi, my name is Carl, I just got a used V8 and...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

RacerZX
Site Admin

Hi, my name is Carl, I just got a used V8 and...

Postby RacerZX » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:38 pm

Lots of people with this kinda question, the used market is picking up for the R51, so I figure I'd add my voice in too :-P

My new girl has 48K miles, still under the power-train warranty, Storm Grey & Brownish/red leather (what is the color called?), LE/NAV/DVD/Bluetooth/all-the-trimmings, here's a weak cell phone pic:

Things on my to-do list, please feel free to critique or suggest additions:

Ordered up the NAV upgrade, and damn it's a dealer installed HDD upgrade instead of an ISO I could try to find online...

Also ordered the Factory Service Manual. Not cheap, but I *always* get them for any car I own. First thing I want to research is the "Auto" mode of the transfer case...from what I could google it looks like the truck is continuously RWD, and there is an electrically actuated clutch pack that can send a portion of the power to the front wheels as needed, which can also then be locked completely for real 4x4 action. As best I can tell then, no reason to ever NOT have it on Auto, unless you are in the dirt or on a smog-dyno, and it sure launches nice out of corners that way, no damn traction control trying to ruin the fun. :wink:

I have no idea how well this truck has been maintained, and I saw some posts about the V8s sometimes sludging up and getting sticky PCV valves and the like? So I'll be doing a de-sludge flush and refill with some fresh Mobil 1 synthetic.

Also I would normally change the gear oils every 30K miles, so I'll change both diffs and the transfer case with Redline synthetic gear oil pronto.

Coolant and transmission fluid I'll wait to 60K, no need to rush for those. Am I correct that the '08 and newer do NOT need the radiator bypass done? I saw some conflicting postings...

At the first hint of brake fade I'll be putting in a set of better pads & SS brake lines and flush with Motul 600 fluid, but for now I'll hold off I think. We'll see how it goes first time I go down Old Priest Grade near Yosemite...

Ordered up a set of OEM skid plates, along with cabin and engine air filters from courtesyparts.com. Yes I would love those aluminum plates on 4x4parts, but $1500 is too rich for me for now. While there I did order up the air bags for the rear springs, that's a must have and easy to install.

I also ordered a set of rock-sliders to replace the side steps, decided finally on the ones from Rocky-Road.com. I'm totally itching for an ARB bumper and winch, but trying to be patient...

Lastly I need to get some real tires on her before hitting the desert. Much like my old setup, I'm going to aim for the BFG AT KOs in 285/65-18 and just heat-gun/trim the fender liners or mud flaps if they conflict.

Anything I'm forgetting/missing guys? Oh, interior needs a very through shampooing to get some dog smell out... :roll:

pandarturo88

Postby pandarturo88 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Very very jealous...

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:37 pm

Very nice to see you back in a Pathfinder. It was also fun to see you push your old one to the max. You were one of a handful who super-charged a PF. Oh, and the retractable soft top... crazy! I hope the new one treats you well.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:43 pm

...also I'm pretty certain that the radiator issue only afflicts the V6s. Better double check me though, I don't keep up with Titan forums.

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 am

Yeah, Rad issue is ONLY the V6. How long until you put a performance muffler on that? Nothing like the sound of a V8 that can actually breathe...

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:09 am

Actually I stuck my head under there and was quite shocked to see Nissan took our idea. No more super cheezy Y merge after the cats and before the big mid-muffler! Now they use a 2-1 muffler with nice fat well-bent tubing, very nice change. Yes, it is a little tempting to take that out and put in a SpinTech and let it sing, but give me a few months to get bored... :wink:

hfrez

Postby hfrez » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:48 am

Very nice. Congratulations to your new Pathy. I hope it is all fun and joy for you two.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:54 am

Not sure how you guys can jump to that conclusion regarding v6 vs v8 rad issues. From what I can tell on Courtesy, the PN has always been listed as the same for the V6 and V8. For that matter, its listed as the same for the armada, xterra, and frontier. The frontier forums are full of complaints, as was the armada forum I was cruising a couple years ago. There are way fewer armada and xterras out there, so its possible we just arent hearing it.

Racer, as far as you truck goes, from what people have said here it sounds like 08 had some changes to the cooling package. Without any solid info from Nissan, we can only look at this anecdotally. I haven't heard of any 08s calfing, and it seems as though, based on mileage and age factors from the 05-07s, they should have been already. It looks as though Nissan resolved this with their vendor on the quiet, perhaps so they wouldn't have to do a recall...

I'm thinking about doing exactly what you did, come stateside for an upgrade to V8 power. Also, I'm pretty sure your assumption is correct on the Auto. From what I've heard, you get marginally better mileage with it set to 2wd, but lets be honest here, who the hell would do that?!? :)

You gonna do the airlift on this rig?

t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:15 am

Nice upgrade. Looks just like mine, except I have the black interior and also had a aftermarket DVD system installed. I'm upset too that it takes the dealer to upgrade the navigation. Not sure I want to spend 200 plus to have it upgraded when I can buy a window GPS with lifetime maps for that price.

The auto 4x4 works great. I normally keep the vehicle in 2wd but during times of bad weather, rain/snow/sleet etc, I switch to auto and if there is any kind of tire spin etc, the 4x4 kicks in and no loss of vehicle control.

I have not done anything to my exhaust, but will be watching you as you upgrade. I watched your V6 upgrades, but hard to tell what it might do on a V8.

I have not done the radiator bypass. I have a CPO and am waiting for the warranty to expire before I modify things. Also I have not heard of any 08+ pathfinders with the radiator problems, or V8s for that matter.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:20 am

disallow wrote:There are way fewer armada and xterras out there, so its possible we just arent hearing it.
Not in the US. You should see how many Xterra forums there are, along with all of the registered members. Yes, it has been a huge hot topic with them as well. I still can't believe there isn't a recall considering how many complaints have been filed with the NHTSA. Granted, it isn't something that will catch fire, explode, etc., but I still think the failure of a transmission out & about could be bad news. Fortunately, I have yet to hear of anyone getting hurt because of it.

Carl,

Nice ride! You'll have to let us know how much more (or less) you like the v8 after you've had it a while.

Fookn4x2

Postby Fookn4x2 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:40 am

Is the v8 faster 0-60 than the v6 or is it just geared differently for more towing power?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:32 am

NVSteve wrote:
disallow wrote:There are way fewer armada and xterras out there, so its possible we just arent hearing it.
Not in the US. You should see how many Xterra forums there are, along with all of the registered members. Yes, it has been a huge hot topic with them as well.
I didn't say they weren't there, but there are less of them. Per data from Nissan's website, here are the sales for 2009-2011:

Model 2011 2010 2009 Total
Frontier 51,700 40,427 28,415 120,542
Pathfinder 25,934 21,438 18,341 65,713
Titan 21,994 23,416 19,042 64,452
Xterra 18,221 20,523 16,455 55,199
Armada 18,331 19,344 9,903 47,578

Wonder what the numbers looked like 2005-2008?
NVSteve wrote:I still can't believe there isn't a recall considering how many complaints have been filed with the NHTSA. Granted, it isn't something that will catch fire, explode, etc., but I still think the failure of a transmission out & about could be bad news. Fortunately, I have yet to hear of anyone getting hurt because of it.
I wholeheartedly agree. What about catastrophic failure of the transmission while on a freeway? Somehow they've managed to keep this one out of the spotlight... not sure how.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 am

Hey Carl,

Are we allowed to ask how much you got 'er for? :)

t

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:28 am

Sure, $23.5K, minus trade-in. Amazing to me that a truck that cost in the 50s can still be under warranty and barely over 20K.

The V8 is definitely faster than the V6, no doubt. My supercharged V6 was faster than the V8, but not by much, however it was more a high-RPM screaming speed while the V8 has a mountain of torque. The effortless acceleration and hint of Merc like V8 growl at WOT is a real pleasure...

Thanks for the feedback on the transmission, I'll hold off doing anything for now. And yeah, I bet Nissan had the supplier make an internal change to prevent the corrosion and just didn't say anything, punks.

I'm starting to think maybe I should do the shocks and an alignment same time as I'm putting $1200 of nice new tires on her... I put Bilstein HDs on my old SE but found the ride pretty damn harsh in combination with the heavy duty BFG AT/KO tires. Any recommendations on a better replacement?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:57 pm

I haven't seen anything near the quality of the Bilsteins. I'd stick with them, I don't think the ride quality is really that bad, and I drive on Canadian roads! :)

Good work on the price. Did you trade your old pathy in for this one? If so, did the supercharger help or hurt tradein value? indifferent?

t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”