Hi, my name is Carl, I just got a used V8 and...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Zero downside for ride quality, it's excellent and feels better than stock. Might still want the air spring supports if I was doing real towing, but this has been a great alternative for all normal stuff.

mwetzel394

V8

Postby mwetzel394 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:44 am

Carl good stuff, I have a 2008, pretty much same as yours in Blue, love it, had it for two years now want soup it up more for hiway, performance on a lite trail Basis!
I will post pictures. Later
:?
Mike

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:18 am

A quick update, 57K miles now, just had the fuel level sender die on me and replaced under warranty.

Over the last few K miles since my last off-road trip I had an increasingly loud metalic clunk coming from the front suspension area when flexing the frame over bumps. I re-checked my front Bilstein install making sure everything was tight, and then my dealer spent an hour of labor (and claimed their master tech spent several more hours) tightening up everything in the front suspension, but nothing fixed the problem... Just got my oil changed and the problem is gone, must have been a loose bolt on the skid plate, frak! :roll:

Also just got the windows tinted, putting 35% all around. It's not limo dark in the back, but it's much more private than before, and the front side windows shouldn't be too dark and draw attention from the law.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:55 pm

There is a thread somewhere here on the forums about a "clunk" over bumps that turned out to be bad body mount bushings. If the clunk re-occurs, that would be the place to look into. It's not something that will be readily visable unless you remove them from between the frame and body.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:31 am

Nope, it's definitely 100% gone. Add skid-plate bolt check to the find-the-clunk to-do list, for those that have the front skid plate (OR or if you added them like on mine).

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:33 am

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:03 am

Nice picture.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:15 am

RacerZX wrote:I decided to just stick with what worked so well, BFG AT KOs in 285/65-18. Yes that's freaking huge, yes the spec says 8-10" rim while the Pathie's rim is just 18x7.5",

soooooooooo, i went up to discount tire to talk to them about the 285/65/18s. they said they won't mount that size tire on the stock rims (company policy). the tech at the desk (not the manager) said that it would cause the tire to flex/bend so it would ride on the middle of the tire rather than flat all the way across.

have you noticed any strange tire wear yet? also where did you get your tires mounted at?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:09 pm

America's Tire Co. did the mount, and they said they wouldn't warranty the tires because they were being mounted out of spec. I haven't had any funny wear issues (either previously or now), but I should add that I get them rotated and balanced every time I get an oil change to keep them true...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Carl,

I noticed you bought and installed the 4x4parts rear lift springs. Any reason why you went with the 4x4 lift springs vs the OME? I know Iced is selling a set of brand new 4x4 springs as he has the OME on his ride.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:02 pm

RacerZX wrote:America's Tire Co. did the mount, and they said they wouldn't warranty the tires because they were being mounted out of spec. I haven't had any funny wear issues (either previously or now), but I should add that I get them rotated and balanced every time I get an oil change to keep them true...
hum, weird. same company. maybe when i go to order them this friday i'll talk to a manager and see what he says then. i'm sure they'd rather have a $1300 tire order than a $0 order.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:40 am

If you're not hell bent on the extra width, you could always try the 275-70-18's. (33.16" vs 32.65")

Wheel width is within spec, and looks like you have a slight lift on yours, which might be good due to the added 0.5" the 275's give you over the the 285's in height.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:52 pm

yeah, but i want the bfgs that have the snowflake on the side 8)

the 285 have it, the 275s don't

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 am

Ahhh, that means they don't meet the RMA requirements for severe snow conditions.

Discount has given me a lot of flak over the years regarding different things.

One time, it was wheels spacers, but they said, just this once we'll balance these wheels for you, but not any other time.

Another time, it was because their computer/car model system stated a certain size wheel in a certain offset wouldn't fit my car, but I knew it would, and they mounted them anyway, and sure enough, they fit. Not after a little bit of "discussion".

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:24 pm

yeah, i mean i'm only short by 1/4in on each side, i don't see what the big deal is. plus my buddy worked at discount/america's tire all through jr college and he said it's not a big deal either.

just like how the last time i ordered 2 oem tires (i got into a ordering 2 at a time thing) to replace my oems in the front that were getting pretty low on tread. i had already replaced the rears so they were good. i asked if they could go ahead and roatate the fronts to the rear so i could "finish burnin 'em off" (cuz you know, v8 + traction off = easy to leave some rubber). he said they couldn't do that, it's an industry standard to keep the tires with the most amount of tread on the rear. i was like wtf, i'm ordering tires from you today, it will only be like this for 1-2 days. he still couldn't do it. bastards!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”