HID lights

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

cvsir7turbo

HID lights

Postby cvsir7turbo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:41 pm

I'm looking into putting some HID's in my 05' Pathfinder. It seems the best I have been able to put together is a AEROSPEEDWAY HID ballast kit and a set of the MOTORENERGY HALO/LED PROJECTOR headlights. Has anyone else been able to put some HID's in the Pathfinder? If so how was it done?

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:05 am

There have been a few installed HID's, but from what I read, you need to make the opening a little bigger for them to fit in. Other than that, I haven't heard any complaints.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:37 am

A guy from Car Domain got a set of those lights he never did put the HIDs in them, but he said he hated them, light output was worse than stock and the LEDs would fail in the Gaylo rings. I was thinking the same thing myself a while back...
Is it possible to make a Projector replacment without all the glitter and sequins? Seriously it's not a BMW why the Halo?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 7_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 01_186.jpg

cvsir7turbo

Postby cvsir7turbo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:23 am

Thanks for the heads up...I'm gonna send these back.

Have you heard of any headlamp replacements without the halo...it does look cheap with the halo. I planned on not connecting the halo wiring but the ring around the headlight makes them look cheap.

Ideally I would like the look of the landrover projector headlamp.

Anybody know of any companies out there that make that kind of setup?

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:32 am

talk to jason burtman of burtman industries (www.burtmanindustries.com). i bought my HID's from him and have been fairly happy with them.

he was very helpfull and knowledgeable. i bought a set that (supposedly) allowed me to keep my lo/hi beam function, but my only complaint was that there wasn't enough of a light difference between the 2 modes. mine are 4300k and are bright white - probably too bright on lo beam since i keep getting flashed, but can't really do anything about that.

cvsir7turbo

Postby cvsir7turbo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:38 pm

Do you have any pics? I put the hid fog lamp setup in the pf i would like to make the headlamps match the fog lamps.

Thank you for the advise with the hid site, I was on the brink of spending about $700 to retro convert my headlamps to projector lights with the hid setup. (customlightz.com)

cvsir7turbo

Postby cvsir7turbo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:52 pm

FYI

I was looking into burtmanindustries.com for the bi-xenon 9007 bulb/hid setup for $354. I checked around and was able to find a better price for the same setup at Slickcar.com $165.99 ($176.69 w/shipping) (800)780-1409

I ended up buying from ebay (bi-xenon hid kit for $115 total) which has a selonoid that actually moves the bulb into the highbeam position, basically that means that you get the HID hi and low beam rather than the more common HID low beam and halogen high beam.

also to add, alot of companies dont have 8000k to 12000k, most companies stock 4800k to 6000k. I'm not sure what kind of look you are going for but i like the bmw blue look.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:39 am

You need to be careful in some states with the blue look. NJ can pull you over for having blue lights. They even count interior lights in the law. The 4000-6000 lights are white and won't cause any run'ins with the law.

cvsir7turbo

Postby cvsir7turbo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Thanks for the heads up...my wife will probably curse me out for days when she gets pulled over for the headlights. I still like the look though.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:35 pm

5200K is the brightest as far as light absoption goes any higher Kelvin rating sacrifices output for color. The Blue you notice from a higher end car with HIDs is a prismatic effect from the projector lens.
Stick with 5200k and "The Man" more than likely won't notice a thing.

Personally, although not as appealing I'm a fan of yellow optics to bring depth and field of vision when I ski. When I drive in the rain/fog I like to wear yellow-orange lenses in order to help make out traffic at further distances. Would be interesting to see a 3000-3500K HID in action.

00void

Postby 00void » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:49 am

Fofiddy wrote:A guy from Car Domain got a set of those lights he never did put the HIDs in them, but he said he hated them, light output was worse than stock and the LEDs would fail in the Gaylo rings. I was thinking the same thing myself a while back...
Is it possible to make a Projector replacment without all the glitter and sequins? Seriously it's not a BMW why the Halo?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 7_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 01_186.jpg
i'm late to reply in this thread, but a few guys on the T4R forum got these for their trucks. one guy absolutely loved them, but another guy got them and pretty much said the same in the above quoted text. apparently the heat from the halogen lamps they used melted some connections of the LEDs in the 3 circular bulbs above the projectors.

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:43 pm

It's too bad you can't find a descent aftermarket projector headlight set up that doesn't cost $500-$1,000. Most of the EBay stuff looks great if you're in the 18-25 age range with a dropped Civic.

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 pm

i have had HID lights in my past 3 cars and im ordering them for the path next month i have never had any issues with melting or breaking wires. hids use less heat so run cooler then your stock lights. 4300 is the brightest you can go before you start to lose light. not 5600 like stated above. that is why most all BMW and Mercedes have 43k

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:23 pm

****K or Kelvin is a light temperature measurement not brighness. Brightness is measured in Lumens.
5600K is the closest to true white light, 4300K is closer to a yellow spectrum. The 4300K is a lighting standard, not a magic number. Standards are not always put in place because they are the optimum choice.

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:19 pm

K not kelvin. i emailed OSRAM SYLVANIA, PIAA, NOKYA, and HELLA they all told me that 4300 was the best you can get before you start to lose lighting. when a company spends millions of dollars every year on R & D for lighting theirs really no reason not to take there word for it. ive always bought the 4300 and have never had any issues and loved there lighting performance

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”