my build thread

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Frozen

my build thread

Postby Frozen » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:25 am

so instead of having a ton of random threads about my truck I figure I'll stick everything in here.

The goal of the truck is to be a nice large expedition style rig. Doing long off road trips and living out of the truck.

mods to come
Suspension - I already startred another thread about doing a aramda swap. I have just about everything I need for the rear but due to time issues this is being put on hold. For now I will be doing the full PRG kit. Will be running 33in or 33.5in tires.

Armor - Custom front winch bumper. I tried to make the frontier upper fit on my 08 and it's possible but requires a bit of work and several more 07 parts. So I will be cutting my front bumper soon and starting on building the new one. Will also be building a custom rear bumper with tire carrier after the front is done. And then full skid plates and sliders.

Lights - Adding 6 roof lights and then 4 lights on the bumper. Started making the mount for the roof lights using the front factory cross bar. I will eventually have a full roof rack but till then my lights will mount using the factory cross bar, that should be done next week.

Electrical - Adding a 2nd battery. And main bus bar in front with smaller bus bars in the rear and front, so the battery won't look like a rats nest of wires. The front and rear circuits will be protected by circuit breaks. The front and rear will also have a relay/fuse block for distribution. Added 9 switches in the interior with a custom switch plate. It will be mounted in the little cubby hole below the climate controls.

Other stuff - Compressor mounted somewhere in the rear with air chucks in the front and rear bumpers. Full roof rack and I sure more things I'll think of.

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:14 am

got some work done yesterday on the rear electrical setup. The rear will have a circuit breaker, mini bus bar and relay/fuse block. I'm mount it all in the factory jack location. I removed the jack and bracket then the plastic trim piece. Carpeted the area trimmed some of the plastic trim and reinstalled. Then mounted the circuit breaker and mini bus bar. The relay/fuse blocks showed up today and are awesome!!

Some pics

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:00 am

sounds like a great idea, I really really wanted you to do the Armada swap but I guess I'll have to wait.

Why not toss in some Bilstein 5100s on the 2nd or 3rd notch instead of tossing all the cash at the PRG kit to just swap it out later?

I had some buyers remorse after buying our '07 new and not a used Landcruiser. But I think these suckers have some potential, just not as commonly modified.

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:23 am

BattleWagon wrote:sounds like a great idea, I really really wanted you to do the Armada swap but I guess I'll have to wait.

Why not toss in some Bilstein 5100s on the 2nd or 3rd notch instead of tossing all the cash at the PRG kit to just swap it out later?

I had some buyers remorse after buying our '07 new and not a used Landcruiser. But I think these suckers have some potential, just not as commonly modified.
I thought about just throwing in the bilsteins or a cheap lift but I'm not sure when work is going to slow down to give me time to work on the aramada swap. So I want something that will give me one of the best lift options out that with the most height without the aramada swap.

Totally agree about some buyers remorse. The landcruiser are great and have a ton of aftermarket support. I love the size of the path and glad I have it. Just gotta figure a lot of things out instead of just buying everything.

Also there is no room to hide anything on the truck. The engine bay is packed out!!

mtcoastie

Postby mtcoastie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 pm

I am thinking about adding a second battery, can you give me a little more insight? How do you plan on doing it? I would like to replace the factory battery with an optima, and have a second online somewhere, but don't want to give up cargo space because I use it so much

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:03 pm

mtcoastie wrote:I am thinking about adding a second battery, can you give me a little more insight? How do you plan on doing it? I would like to replace the factory battery with an optima, and have a second online somewhere, but don't want to give up cargo space because I use it so much
I will be adding a snorkel with custom piping inside the engine bay and will be replacing the factory air box with a 2nd battery.

Got my inverter mounted under the passenger seat and wired up today. Wanted a 4000w inverter but it did not fit under the seat. Ended up with a 2000w.

How it looks with everything put back

Also made a switch plate to go in the little cubby under the climate controls.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:08 pm

Have you thought about putting the power inverter in the small cubby under the middle row? It might reduce the amout of heat build up as it's a plastic liner vs. sitting on carpet.

However, I do love having a build thread. Had one for my Jeep on a Jeep forum.

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:23 am

volvite wrote:Have you thought about putting the power inverter in the small cubby under the middle row? It might reduce the amout of heat build up as it's a plastic liner vs. sitting on carpet.

However, I do love having a build thread. Had one for my Jeep on a Jeep forum.
It's been awhile but last time i looked in there I seem to remember it being pretty small, not sure it would fit. If heat does become a issue I plan to cut a hole in the rear right above the spare tire and make a custom box in there to hold the inverter and compressor. The spare tire is going to be relocated on the rear bumper with a swing out. The box would have a waterproof vent system to circulate air for cooling. But hopefully thats not needed as I'm not super excited to cut a big hole in my trunk just yet. My main issue is finding a place for the compressor to go.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Not sure how big of a compressor you are looking for, but I've seen on this forum some have mounted it in front of the air intake box.

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:10 pm

volvite wrote:Not sure how big of a compressor you are looking for, but I've seen on this forum some have mounted it in front of the air intake box.
mine is going to be pretty big it has a small tank also.

05Pathfinder

Postby 05Pathfinder » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Not sure how your going to use the inverter but it is going to be loud as hell and annoying if your running it while driving. What have you found so far because the rear of the vehicle may be better.

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:49 pm

05Pathfinder wrote:Not sure how your going to use the inverter but it is going to be loud as hell and annoying if your running it while driving. What have you found so far because the rear of the vehicle may be better.
I'm pretty sure your talking about a the compressor and not the inverter as the only thing making noise on a inverter is the fans and they are super quiet. The compressor would be used for lockers and any trail side repairs where air tools will be helpful. So it won't be running constantly.

Again if your actually talking about the inverter, mine is super quiet and I've never heard of a loud one.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:23 pm

I'll be watching this thread. Our Pathfinders are extremely underrated as an expedition vehicle. It's the perfect size for navigating the tight areas, while roomy enough for a family and gear, the strong underpinnings of a true 4x4, and the power of the V6/V8, and the comfort to get you to the trail and back. With a little bit of modding, it's more than a capable overlander vehicle.

My next mod is the rear bumper/tire and jerry can carrier. Let us know your thoughts. Heck, you can probably replicate it and sell a few to us folks here.

Frozen

Postby Frozen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:27 pm

rragpaoa wrote:I'll be watching this thread. Our Pathfinders are extremely underrated as an expedition vehicle. It's the perfect size for navigating the tight areas, while roomy enough for a family and gear, the strong underpinnings of a true 4x4, and the power of the V6/V8, and the comfort to get you to the trail and back. With a little bit of modding, it's more than a capable overlander vehicle.

My next mod is the rear bumper/tire and jerry can carrier. Let us know your thoughts. Heck, you can probably replicate it and sell a few to us folks here.
I agree the path is the perfect size expedition vehicle. I just don't understand the lack of support for it.

I will probably do the rear bumper first and it's just plain easier then the front. It will look a lot like the factory bumper just not go as low. And of course the swing arm and whatever else I can mount to it. I will def keep this thread up to date.

rragpaoa

Re: my build thread

Postby rragpaoa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Frozen wrote: Lights - Adding 6 roof lights and then 4 lights on the bumper. Started making the mount for the roof lights using the front factory cross bar. I will eventually have a full roof rack but till then my lights will mount using the factory cross bar, that should be done next week.

Other stuff - Compressor mounted somewhere in the rear with air chucks in the front and rear bumpers. Full roof rack and I sure more things I'll think of.
Check out BajaRacks. They used my truck to fabricate the mounts specifically for our truck. Great local small shop with quality work and a good group of guys. They have a roof-top-tent version as well.

Here is some pics of mine:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”