Hitch is rusting

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

nutbar78

Hitch is rusting

Postby nutbar78 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Anybody try and remove the rear buymper cover to spray paint the trailer hitch assembly? I noticed yesterday that my is starting to rust, actually the black paint is coming off in pretty big flakes, and needless to say it doesn't look that great.

Anybody do anything about the similar problem?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:22 am

I've not crawled under mine yet. Are you able to drop the hitch without dropping the fuel tank? I know on my 99 Jeep I had to drop the fuel tank to remove/adjust the hitch. The reason I thought this, it might be easier to sand and paint the whole thing and not just one part of the hitch. Just an idea.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:05 am

The fuel tank is under the middle of the car on the driver side. But you might have to drop the spare tire if you need to drop the trailer hitch. Just sand prime and paint the rusty spots. It would probably look better if you paint the whole hitch at once. I've repainted hitches on my jeeps with Rustoleum with good results.

mbenes11

Postby mbenes11 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:42 pm

I did this on my old '05 that I used to have. If i remember right, there are two bolts on each side of the hitch assembly that bolt to the frame (total of four bolts). Just unbolt it and it drops right out - you have to disconnect the trailer wire harness before dropping the hitch. I did remove the spare tire to allow for more room to work, don't remember if this was necessary but it sure helps with the extra room. I sanded the hitch down and then sprayed it with a bed liner coating that came in a spray can. I did use spray paint for the inside of the hitch receiver - you don't want too thick of a coating in here so that the hitch still fits, that is why I didn't spray the inside with liner. It turned out great - if my hitch starts rusting again on my '11 I will do the same thing. It made it look tons better without the rust spots! Good luck!

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:50 pm

What type of spray can bedliner did you use and how did you like it?

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks mbenes11.

Next nice Saturday or Sunday for me.

mbenes11

Postby mbenes11 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:27 am

I can't remember at all what brand of bedliner I used, whatever O'Reiley's had on the shelf. I really liked how it turned out and it held up very well for almost two years before I traded it in. I liked the textured look of it better than just a painted surface. Now I wish I would have done a DIY on here about it...maybe next time...

mbenes11

Postby mbenes11 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:33 am

One thing that I did do however was clean up the rust spots as best as you can and seal them with an epoxy paint (made for sealing rust). Then scuff up the rest of the hitch and spray on your final coating. If I remember right I did two coats for a little extra protection. If you do go the bedliner route just make sure that you don't spray it in the hitch receiver or where it gets bolted to the frame. Just think about it before spraying it :)

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”