Center Console TSB

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

socal4x

Center Console TSB

Postby socal4x » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:58 am

My center console latch broke the other day, so I went over the parts dept. at my local Nissan dealer to find out about getting another one...

The latch was $15. However, they could only sell me the whole lid assembly at $145....

Apparently the latch is on Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)....which means it will be replaced by Nissan for free, but I have to leave the vehicle at the dealer, they have to assess that the latch is truly broken, then order the part. When the part comes in, I have to bring the vehicle back for installation...

So, I am without the car for 2 days for something that would take me 5 min. to solve....I think $15 is cheaper than 2 days without a vehicle and the hassle of getting a ride, etc.

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Center Console TSB

Postby NVSteve » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:34 am

socal4x wrote:My center console latch broke the other day, so I went over the parts dept. at my local Nissan dealer to find out about getting another one...

The latch was $15. However, they could only sell me the whole lid assembly at $145....
So you can't buy just the latch? What about from another parts source?
Apparently the latch is on Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)....which means it will be replaced by Nissan for free, but I have to leave the vehicle at the dealer, they have to assess that the latch is truly broken, then order the part. When the part comes in, I have to bring the vehicle back for installation...
I'd have the service manager take 1 minute out of his/her busy schedule and "assess" the latch is broken on the spot. I can see waiting 1/2 hour while they replace it, but not waiting for them just to say they can confirm the thing is busted. Just apply pressure. If that doesn't work, take it to another service dept.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:04 pm

How do you know its $15, if it isnt available?
So you can't buy just the latch?
I tried to buy just the latch too. The parts guy at the local dealership showed me the parts diagram and the latch was not available separate from the lid.

I had heard there was a TSB on it. I wonder if Nissan has actually improved the design though. If the latch is replaced with the same style, it will soon break again.

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:49 pm

I was informed by 3 local dealerships that I can't buy just the latch...and, since this is southern california, they are all too busy to do an on the spot fix. Of course, after they assess that the latch is broken, they have to order it.

I am going to contact Courtesy Nissan in Texas today to see if they can help me out.

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:52 pm

BMXPath wrote:
How do you know its $15, if it isnt available?
So you can't buy just the latch?

The guy at the counter said..."Too bad you can't just buy the latch yourself...cause its only $15.00....If it weren't on TSB, you could!!!"

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:25 pm

You should make a few calls to a few junk yards.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:59 pm

it took then 2 days to replace the rear cup holders for the 2nd row.. and a month after that they broke again :(

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Tue May 06, 2008 8:33 am

Update:

I confirmed with Steve at Courtesy (really helpful guy by the way) that they would have to sell me the whole lid assembly since he doesn't have a part number for the latch only in his database. He told me if I can get the part # from my local dealer (which they have and wont give me because of the TSB) then he would gladly get me the part and sell it to me.

On another note, he told me his dealership would fix it while I waited, whereas my local Nissan dealerships here in LA area would need at least a day.....seriously.....a whole day? It would literally take more time to air up the tires than to replace this part...ridiculous...I get the same old "we have to make sure we get reimbursed by Nissan crap"....I told them I will pay for the damn part....

Anyways, I am thinking of taking NVSteves advice and hitting the local junkyards, or maybe replacing the lid with something I can lock.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue May 06, 2008 9:53 am

Good thread, I haven't broken this latch yet but I know it's going to happen sometime, plus the plastic hole in the consol box body looks like it's getting scarred up. Maybe a diy metal reinforcement around the hole and a metal latch clip would keep this from happening.

Has anyone broken the clip that holds the engine hood prop-stick yet, I have to remember to ask the dealership for a some of these as thats another plastic clip that didn't last the first month.

vwpower

Postby vwpower » Tue May 06, 2008 10:26 am

This place seems to have most console parts.
http://www.mynissanparts.com/parts.html
Select Gunuine Nissan Parts
Collison
Console

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Wed May 07, 2008 3:41 pm

my latch broke & the dealer gladly ordered me a new one. Only one problem - I have a grey interior & the latch is TAN !!! Looks bad.
They are trying to get the correct one. Maybe i should live with out the latch.

nvrdun

Postby nvrdun » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:50 am

My latch broke last night. Probably because its -20 outside, but anyway.

Does the TSB list a part number for just the latch?

*****************UPDATE**********************

I found the TSB and it does list part number!!

I then googled "nissan part number search" and clicked on the first link.
I entered the part number and bam part is only $12!!!!

Here are the part numbers

R51 color code C 96927-EA102
R51 color code K,T 96927-EA100

Man Im happy I dont need to spend $158!!!

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:06 pm

nvrdun wrote:I found the TSB and it does list part number!!

I then googled "nissan part number search" and clicked on the first link.
I entered the part number and bam part is only $12!!!!

Here are the part numbers

R51 color code C 96927-EA102
R51 color code K,T 96927-EA100

Man Im happy I dont need to spend $158!!!
Could you be a bit more specific regarding the link? I tried the first six links from the Google search, and came up dry. Also, which part # is which color? Thanks.

nvrdun

Postby nvrdun » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:45 pm

Here you go

TSB

In this first link, enter the part number into part number search
http://www.nissanpartsdirect.com/oempartscat.html

This one I already did the work for ya!
http://www.courtesyparts.com/latch-cons-p-503535.html

Make sure when searching for parts go to OEM part search and enter the part number. Most websites will not let me copy their URL to show you.

Also I ordered this today from an online Infiniti parts dealer. The order form asked for my VIN#, well they ran my VIN and called me up and said I needed to order the whole lid for $150. I told him about the TSB, told him the TSB number, read the TSB, then read off all the TSB part numbers. He put me on hold, came back and said "umm, yea, your right, but we dont have it in stock". Thats when I decided to call my local dealer.

Color option C = camel = 96927-EA102
Color option K= graphite = 96927-EA100

I confirmed this today with my dealer. Today when I called my dealer with the TSB info, the parts guy looked up my vin and sure enough, there was the TSB right there with all the part numbers for just the latch.

Npath

Postby Npath » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:21 pm

Lucky you, my dealer won't fix it without charging me.

I'll be taking it to another dealer that's closer to work... a bit out of my way.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”