Bully Dog Retractable Install

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

thegovernor

Bully Dog Retractable Install

Postby thegovernor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:58 am

I wanted to avoid the Bully Dog interface being mistaken for navi (stolen), so I installed it in the din pocket. Don't get too excited, it's not motorized. Very easy to display & retract, although I rarely do anymore.

View from below:

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:21 am

I like it. How long have you had the bully dog? Is it worth the 300 price tag? I've been debating on making this purchase since I bought my pathfinder a year ago.

thegovernor

Postby thegovernor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:42 am

volvite wrote:I like it. How long have you had the bully dog? Is it worth the 300 price tag? I've been debating on making this purchase since I bought my pathfinder a year ago.
I've had it for 1.5 years, great programmer. Def worth the money. I went from 13 to 16 mpg on average, with towing & alot of junk in the back. I got 320 miles out of my last fill-up, no trailer towing & even mix of hwy/city driving.

I admit I am driving more efficiently with the gas buddy feature. Set with stock wot & 93 octane. I did my share of hot rodding though with the aggressive settings, luckily didn't get arrested. Good luck

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:45 am

wish I had gotten this vs the Superchips. Seems more intuitive, and has the trans temp on it!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:59 am

thegovernor wrote:
volvite wrote:I like it. How long have you had the bully dog? Is it worth the 300 price tag? I've been debating on making this purchase since I bought my pathfinder a year ago.
I've had it for 1.5 years, great programmer. Def worth the money. I went from 13 to 16 mpg on average, with towing & alot of junk in the back. I got 320 miles out of my last fill-up, no trailer towing & even mix of hwy/city driving.

I admit I am driving more efficiently with the gas buddy feature. Set with stock wot & 93 octane. I did my share of hot rodding though with the aggressive settings, luckily didn't get arrested. Good luck
That is my issue. I have the goodyear duratracs, taller than OEM, heavier than OEM, and I average on the hwy 13mpg. It's killing me. I didn't buy this SUV for mpgs, but 13 is low. With you showing an improvement from 13 to 16, that's huge in my book. it would pay for itself in fuel savings. Did you buy the Triple Dog GT Gas Gauge/Tuner (40410)? Any other additions that you have to include with your bully dog?

thegovernor

Postby thegovernor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:39 am

volvite wrote:
thegovernor wrote:

That is my issue. I have the goodyear duratracs, taller than OEM, heavier than OEM, and I average on the hwy 13mpg. It's killing me. I didn't buy this SUV for mpgs, but 13 is low. With you showing an improvement from 13 to 16, that's huge in my book. it would pay for itself in fuel savings. Did you buy the Triple Dog GT Gas Gauge/Tuner (40410)? Any other additions that you have to include with your bully dog?
Yes, model no. 40410. Got it new on ebay for $320 or so.

Last tank was 320 miles when the fuel light came on (17.5 gallons) In case this milage sounds too good to be true, here's a pic of my current trip mileage (reset on full tank).

In addition, I installed a K&N cai. I did reinstall my stock maf, the jet fuel maf is VERY properly named :P. Also, I started to notice a decrease in mpg, especially the summer months. So I sealed the K&N housing with foam tape to reduce the amount engine heat entering the intake. I also cut a hole in the housing & ran some 3" intake to the grill for as much cool air as possible. Monitored all this with the air intake gauge. Definitely helped.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Wayne,

Thanks for the feedback. This is giving me more push to buy this. I guess I can buy this, try it out and if it does not work return it.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:25 pm

thegovernor wrote:
volvite wrote:[quote="thegovernor
Last tank was 320 miles when the fuel light came on (17.5 gallons) In case this milage sounds too good to be true, here's a pic of my current trip mileage (reset on full tank).
I used to get very similar mileage to what you experience. Then about 2 years ago it tanked.

Can you pull the following info from your bullydog? Would like to compare to my readings from my superchips:

B1S1 voltage - .6v
B1S2 voltage - .3v
B2S1 voltage - .3v
B2S1 voltage - this sensor is f'd right now, shifts between .2 and .7v

MAF Volume - at 62mph it reads 4.5 - 5.5 lbs/minute

Just try to get the normal values. I put mine above for comparison purposes.

Any other readings we could share? Thats all i can think of right now.

I'm going on a 400mi round trip this weekend, so I'm going to be pulling all sorts of info... Let me know!

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Very slick... Nice job!

thegovernor

Postby thegovernor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks Goblue

thegovernor

Postby thegovernor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 pm

disallow wrote:
thegovernor wrote:
volvite wrote:[quote="thegovernor
I used to get very similar mileage to what you experience. Then about 2 years ago it tanked.

Can you pull the following info from your bullydog? Would like to compare to my readings from my superchips:

B1S1 voltage - .6v
B1S2 voltage - .3v
B2S1 voltage - .3v
B2S1 voltage - this sensor is f'd right now, shifts between .2 and .7v

MAF Volume - at 62mph it reads 4.5 - 5.5 lbs/minute

Just try to get the normal values. I put mine above for comparison purposes.

Any other readings we could share? Thats all i can think of right now.

I'm going on a 400mi round trip this weekend, so I'm going to be pulling all sorts of info... Let me know!
Sorry to hear about the mpg. Do you have a V6? I'm assuming only because you have the '05 Pathfinder, although you do tow a house :P

I don't have the pyro probe kit so I can't monitor the EGT sensors. I will take a look at the MAF reading for you. Have a safe trip

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:53 am

OK now your just making me mad! :) You get that kind of mileage with a V8?!!>??!? WTF!?!

Ok, ok, I need to calm down...

You should be able to get the O2 sensor readouts on your bullydog. What kind of readings do you get on these?

This weekend we went to Fargo, ND which is about a 450mi round trip. See below for my evaluation from/to Pembina, ND as I filled up there and back.

Here's how it went down:

Full in Pembina, ND
Filled up in Grand Forks on the way home - 17.3 USG
Filled up in Pembina - 6 USG

Total Fuel used - 23.3 USG
Distance travelled - 325mi
Fuel Economy - 13.5 Mi/USG
Average speed - 80MPH
Conditions - cool and windy (up to 30MPH gusts, I was bucking wind both there and back)

My low fuel light kicked in about 30miles before Grand Forks on the way home @ 298 miles (480km).

I took some screenshots of the voltages and trim from the O2 sensors and other engine values on my Superchips on the way down:

Voltages of my O2 sensors at 80MPH:

MAF Volume, Timing Advance, Engine Load, and Vehicle Speed

Videos:
Shows IAT and some other engine values in real time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g02QTqdcOsA

Shows real time O2 voltage readout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1UVk1Hms_E

thegovernor

Postby thegovernor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 am

volvite wrote:Wayne,

Thanks for the feedback. This is giving me more push to buy this. I guess I can buy this, try it out and if it does not work return it.
That's the spirit! jk but you won't want to return it & like you said, it will pay for itself in no time, especially with these petrol prices. I figure I'm getting $20 worth of extra mileage per tank (60 extra miles/13 mpg=4.6 gallons (x $4.50 gallon).

The only problems I encountered in installing was my battery voltage was too low and it would abort 1/2 way through. Just make sure you run around the block a few times and you'll be good. The install will cycle the fans & a bunch of other systems that require power, go figure. Also, the din file for the V8's was not up to date. I think it was something simple like my vin wasn't in the range, but tech support updated it, emailed it back and it was all good.

thegovernor

Postby thegovernor » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:08 am

disallow wrote:OK now your just making me mad! :) You get that kind of mileage with a V8?!!>??!? WTF!?!

Ok, ok, I need to calm down...
Lol! sorry, didn't mean to rub it in. Once you replace that bad sensor it'll be all good again. I'm in disbelief as well with the additional mileage. I have been filling up with BP lately-maybe they are adding less ethanol.

I cycled thru all the gauges and I'm pretty sure I would need that pyro probe to monitor egt. Let me know if there's a way that I'm not seeing though, I'll be glad to check it for you, plus it would be good to know.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:48 am

Its not EGT, its O2 sensor voltage.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”