goneMOAB trip anyone?

Life on the road is what automobiles were made for, share your road trip stories and pictures here.

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

goneMOAB trip anyone?

Postby blink32 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:33 am

Anyone interested in attending goneMOAB? Specifically anyone from the East want to Caravan? I'm working the logistics of going now and the only blockade I see for me is actually saying yes or no. Already sorted out lodging, vacation and expense.

http://gonemoab.com/

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:52 pm

Too bad. I could have easily joined you in Moab if my vacation time weren't already alotted to future trips. If you go & really enjoy it, then you'll probably be back next year? If so, I could swing it then if I know far enough in advance.

It has the potential of being enjoyable. It has to be better than the Jeep week there. Nothing as boring as sitting in the dirt with a huge audience, watching as vehicles slowly drive up and over obstacles, all freakin' day long.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:13 pm

Yea, if I enjoy I will definitely go again. I've got a neighbor with an Xterra who wants to go next year already.

I think I've sorted everything out for this year. Now I need to get info about sliders and a few other minor additions before May. But that all equals $. :-/

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:57 am

Wish I could but the Pathy is hers. She gets upset when I go through a rutted parking lot. Ok that's probably because she is in the back with the little guy getting tossed around. I only get to do maintenance and drive on the weekends.

I'm going to drop a few hundred on the Saab this week, because of a bad pump design. Good thing I haven't made a payment in 2 years. Almost time for a new vehicle.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 am

Lol, I hear ya. The wife has a Murano which she refuses to drive to her parents. They live on a farm and she absolutely refuses to go through any rocks regardless of the speed. Its a 1/4 mile long dirt drive way with "some" rocks.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:05 am

Hey Blink, I'm may be interested. I can make it an MTB trip as well. I always wanted to offroad and mtn bike MOAB.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:18 am

I've pretty much ditched the idea. I could only figure out that one other person was going who was interested in the easy & medium runs and their organizers/mods/whatever seemed far less than interested in someone coming out for anything less than hard core wheeling. I un-registered from the site due to a lack of response. It not like there was an information # to call or anything since it was just regular people organizing (if you want to call it that) it.

I wanted to go to just see Moab. Apparently I'm not cool enough if I'm not out with a full cage and rolling my rig over.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:29 pm

well ... doesn't mean we still can check it out and do some medium runs.
If I can rally up a few more to go, I say we still do it anyway, not necessarily with the GoneMoab folks. Gonna meet with other new gen Pathy guys for the DV run. I'll bring it with them to see what we can do.

I did check out the site. Yeah, I don't see anything there even close to stock or slightly modified rigs. Those are all hard-core setups. Probably all SAS front and rear. Don't want to slow those guys down.

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:33 pm

I just went through the gonemoab site again.

Apparantly, they do invite ALL Nissan SUV and truck owners, regardless of their rig. They do claim there will be easier runs. Maybe we should check it out anyway, at least to learn about the area and just see Moab.

Whaddya think?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:33 pm

They definitely invite lesser capable rigs but I specifically asked about other non-hardcore people going and was told I should be at-least doing the blue runs. But I also couldn't find a single picture of someone doing anything less than a hard run. 2k miles is a long way to drive just to end up with someone pissed off at being a trail-master for a run that a Nissan Rogue could do because I want to see the scenery. ;)

It's still on my radar but I'm not holding by breath at this point. Some other personal business popped up that may or may not affect the trip. Might just end up asking if anyone wants to go to Death Valley or somewhere else if I make it all the way to the west coast.

Alpine Spirit

Postby Alpine Spirit » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:52 am

blink32 wrote:They definitely invite lesser capable rigs but I specifically asked about other non-hardcore people going and was told I should be at-least doing the blue runs. But I also couldn't find a single picture of someone doing anything less than a hard run. 2k miles is a long way to drive just to end up with someone pissed off at being a trail-master for a run that a Nissan Rogue could do because I want to see the scenery. ;)

It's still on my radar but I'm not holding by breath at this point. Some other personal business popped up that may or may not affect the trip. Might just end up asking if anyone wants to go to Death Valley or somewhere else if I make it all the way to the west coast.
Actually it is more marketing, since all fees have to be paid for and we are trying to keep goneMOAB free!!! We have to have a site that encourages sponsors to donate something. Exciting shots gets sponsors excited to get their name associated with the event. We have to come up for money for Friday BBQ/Dinner, Zaks Pizza night, Website, goneMOAB Trail Books, etc.. etc... etc.... and having pics of vehicles on dirt roads will not get sponsors, look at a 4WD magazine. goneMOAB is put on by ALL volunteers not one company or corporation is involved with planning or execution.

I recommended Blue Trails because in the YEARS of people going out on trips I have never seen someone with a 4 wheel drive come back happy from a Green trail when they hear all the hard spots on Blue trails have bypasses from someone they trust or consider a friend. Just my experience after helping hundreds of trucks on the trails in Moab.

This year many vehicles have signed up for most of the trails... the only exception being 2 of them, 1 being Chicken Corners the easiest trail on the docket and the other being Pritchett Canyon considered the Hardest free trail in Moab. So yes there is a chance that Chicken Corners may be cut but every other trail will be ran.

The middle shot is an optional line, the others are directly on trails.

Alpine Spirit

Postby Alpine Spirit » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:57 am

The GREEN colored areas are EASY targeted at 2wd Nissan trucks and SUVs and 4wd trucks and SUVs without a low range transfer case. The two runs are scenic roads with a variety of views and outstanding Moab area scenery.

The BLUE colored areas are MODERATE runs areas that are targeted at a stock to highly modified 4wd Xterra, Frontier, Pathfinder or Patrol. The idea behind this track is to allow first timers to the trails of Moab to ease into things without getting too crazy right from the start.

The RED colored areas are DIFFICULT runs that are targeted at a 4wd Xterra, Frontier, Pathfinder or Patrol with some suspension modifications and sliders. The folks who go on these runs should have been on Moab trails before or be experienced 4 wheelers.

The GREY colored areas are EXTREME runs. There are equipment requirements for each trail.

I have ran most of the Blue runs in 2 Wheel Drive with the exception of small short sections where power to the front tires is needed to get up up on to a small shelf or rock.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:01 pm

Alpine Spirit wrote:I recommended Blue Trails because in the YEARS of people going out on trips I have never seen someone with a 4 wheel drive come back happy from a Green trail when they hear all the hard spots on Blue trails have bypasses from someone they trust or consider a friend. Just my experience after helping hundreds of trucks on the trails in Moab.
While that may be true I, for one, would specifically be traveling out there for the scenery and not so much the 4wd experience. That would just be a nice off-shoot. And when I asked I was told I should do blues, that and a general lack of response otherwise showed me that I was most likely in a minority. So I decided not to go rather than, like I said, end up with someone who would much rather be doing runs they equate with fun instead of baby sitting me while I drive around in 2wd taking pictures.

Seems like a fun trip if your into more hard core stuff. But I decided it wouldn't fit my needs as more of a tourist this trip.

Cr@2y Gr33k

Re: goneMOAB trip anyone?

Postby Cr@2y Gr33k » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:11 pm

blink32 wrote:Anyone interested in attending goneMOAB? Specifically anyone from the East want to Caravan? I'm working the logistics of going now and the only blockade I see for me is actually saying yes or no. Already sorted out lodging, vacation and expense.

http://gonemoab.com/
Blink, being that you are from the South Jersey area, do you know of any places like MOAB that are in the PA, NJ, or DE areas? If so I wouldn't mind checking something like that out. I am from just outside of Philly, and would love to do something like that, but don't have the time to drive cross country.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:20 am

There is a group on this board http://www.jerseydevil.com that go out all the time in the cranberry bogs and pine barrens. Once in a while there is a trip to paragon, pa. They have a lot of good info on the site for ideas and hints for trips. A guy I work with 'billdacat' goes out at least once a month.

Return to “Roaaad Trip!!!”