Rear hatch window open.....

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

nutbar78

Rear hatch window open.....

Postby nutbar78 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:11 pm

.....while driving?

Anybody do this? My rear window shocks seems pretty strong, and it would be nice to get some cool air flow.....

Anybody attempt this yet?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

I would recommend againist this. If you look at the back of your car during rain and such, you see how dirty it gets. The vortex your car creates pulls the air up from the ground and such and will bring dirt and "Exhaust" fumes into your car.

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:23 pm

volvite wrote:I would recommend againist this. If you look at the back of your car during rain and such, you see how dirty it gets. The vortex your car creates pulls the air up from the ground and such and will bring dirt and "Exhaust" fumes into your car.
Exactly. if you just had the back open and the rest of the windows shut, you could end up blacking out at the wheel from the Co2 replacing all the Oxygen in the car. Not a good idea.

Pathfinder101

Postby Pathfinder101 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:45 pm

The hinges are also not the strongest and they become loose so that's another reason I would not suggest it. I loved when I had my bronco back in the day with power rear window,I added a roof spoiler to change the updraft.

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:03 am

I have tried this.

In winter, when I was driving back from forest with christmas tree, I had to let it open.
I drove only about 10km and all from middle row seats backwards were full of snow.

Much better is to open the sunroof or front windows.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:23 am

I do this when camping with the dogs, I place a dog barrier in the far back. I just take a small knife and close the latch so the monitor does not show the window open. I also keep it open when halling lumber or conduit.
You be just fine.

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:51 am

I almost quoted word for word what the dealer told me when I asked them last spring. I should I known a stealership would exaggerate.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:00 am

+1 on the exhaust getting sucked in hazard!

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:28 pm

I didn't mean that I would only leave the hatch window open, I would have the regular windows down as well. That's how I would get the nice cross breeze w/o turning my truck into a big parachute with windows down. My biggest worry would have been the window crashing down and shattering. I guess I will have to try it out and see what happens.

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:43 pm

nutbar78 wrote:I didn't mean that I would only leave the hatch window open, I would have the regular windows down as well. That's how I would get the nice cross breeze w/o turning my truck into a big parachute with windows down. My biggest worry would have been the window crashing down and shattering. I guess I will have to try it out and see what happens.
Their may be an annoying rattle as the wind pushes the hatch down and the shocks push it back up against the stops. Not sure. Curious about this one.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:24 am

dared3vil00 wrote:
Exactly. if you just had the back open and the rest of the windows shut, you could end up blacking out at the wheel from the Co2 replacing all the Oxygen in the car. Not a good idea.
Yeah....I think this is a little (ok...a lot) of a stretch.

I'm not saying you won't get some exhaust stink in the the truck, but blacking out at the wheel....you will be sucking in a LOT more normal outside air than straight exhaust in this situation.

I have a '78 Bronco with the power rear window also. It has a similar shape to the Pathfinder and the back window does get dirty as it creates airflow against it and pulls up road junk. I'd say it actually is a lot worse about it than the Pathfinder. If the side windows are closed and you open the rear you can smell the exhaust, but I certainly don't think it's a safety hazard.

4Runners also have this type of power rear window.

That said, I've left mine open at low speed before, but I don't think I'd want to subject it to the stress/bouncing of actually driving around with it open for extended periods or at higher speeds. It just wasn't made to work this way.

dared3vil00

Postby dared3vil00 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:22 am

Read my comment right after the first where I corrected myself. Don't just take snippets.

Fookn4x2

Postby Fookn4x2 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:49 am

I have done this many times. I just tie a rope to the window to pull it down so it is horizontal and won't catch much wind. Works great and I've done it for several years without problems or replacing the struts.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:52 am

amr40509 wrote:I'm not saying you won't get some exhaust stink in the the truck, but blacking out at the wheel....you will be sucking in a LOT more normal outside air than straight exhaust in this situation.
so you figure that's a safe ratio? :roll:
i'll go in my own truck, thanks.

bakerbaker

Postby bakerbaker » Wed May 09, 2012 10:09 am

I drive with the windows down and the back glass open all the time.

I had a 95 PF and could be stopped at a redlight and hit the rear hatch button and take off more agressively than normal and the window would open by itself. Take off hard again and it would close. And I dont mean burning asphalt in the process. Too bad the R51's dont have the hatch release button.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”