HID Lights Installation Tips

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

res0ippr

Postby res0ippr » Fri May 04, 2012 8:13 pm

UPDATE

Well, I installed the HID kit on regular headlight and not happy with results: light is scattered too much and not much different in lightning amount. In fact, it glares too much from signs on the road. This is due parcially because the housing is too big and little light is focused forward. It was no issue in my Accord that has a smaller housing.

I will install the HID kit down to the fog lights and install Phillips on the main headlights. Just incase you were wondering on installing HIDs on regular housing.

Advice, safe money and invest on projectors or stick to non HID.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 am

Yep, par for the course on the HID. I like the Phillips and Sylvania Xtravision (what I'm running now) on low beam but still find the high beam with those bulbs to scatter and have no height. I ended up going with auxiliary lights to come on with high beams to get the performance I need out on these deserted backroads. Pic below...not the greatest look but I'm more about function than form these days. Back when I installed, some folks asked about blocking air for the radiator. So far I've been with temps in high 80's and sitting in traffic I've had no problems. Also running 85mph for about two hours the temp gauge never budged from normal zone.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 am

volvite wrote:08 + pathfinders have a differnt front end. Nissan had to extend the front end to make room for the V8. So as of now, there is no company that has made projector headlamps for 08 + Pathfinders. :(
8) Thanks!

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Mon May 14, 2012 8:35 pm

res0ippr wrote:UPDATE

Well, I installed the HID kit on regular headlight and not happy with results: light is scattered too much and not much different in lightning amount. In fact, it glares too much from signs on the road. This is due parcially because the housing is too big and little light is focused forward. It was no issue in my Accord that has a smaller housing.

I will install the HID kit down to the fog lights and install Phillips on the main headlights. Just incase you were wondering on installing HIDs on regular housing.

Advice, safe money and invest on projectors or stick to non HID.
i have had HID in my sotck housings in my 06 for years now with no issues. i even shipped the pathy to teh UK and they test your light beams there every year and my path has no issue at all with the stock housings. no blinding perfect cut off no over reflecting from the signs. i can see 1000 times better on teh road. not sure why yours are not the same what out put did u get?? im running 4200

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:29 am

The ones I tried were 5,000 and there were blotches of light all over the road. The headlights changed for 2008 (slight shape/size difference) and maybe the reflectors are different. The only way I could keep from blinding others was to aim them so low they were practically useless. I get a similar effect with the Xtravision bulbs on high-beam, but they work very good on low beam. Now the aux lights come on with the highbeams basically washing out the blotchy highbeams and adding about twice the distance of even the HID's.

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Tue May 15, 2012 6:50 am

1armyguy

Postby 1armyguy » Tue May 15, 2012 7:10 am

skinny2 wrote:The ones I tried were 5,000 and there were blotches of light all over the road. The headlights changed for 2008 (slight shape/size difference) and maybe the reflectors are different. The only way I could keep from blinding others was to aim them so low they were practically useless. I get a similar effect with the Xtravision bulbs on high-beam, but they work very good on low beam. Now the aux lights come on with the highbeams basically washing out the blotchy highbeams and adding about twice the distance of even the HID's.
Skinny, do you happen to have any pictures of the lights you added? I have an 08 as well that I have put in the sylvania silverstars in. works really well on low beam as you mentioned but, not as focused on high beam.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:41 am

1armyguy wrote: Skinny, do you happen to have any pictures of the lights you added? I have an 08 as well that I have put in the sylvania silverstars in. works really well on low beam as you mentioned but, not as focused on high beam.
There's a pic of mine up above in this thread. Also my original thread has a few pics of my install here: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ight=hella

1armyguy

Postby 1armyguy » Tue May 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Thank you, I was thinking of doing that as well but, didn't know how it would turn out. Looks good.

PatC

Postby PatC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 am

Which Phillips bulbs have you guys tried? I've had the Crystal Vision and Diamond Vision in the past...while they were whiter in color than the stock bulbs, they didn't give off much more actual light output. Not sure if Sylvania has made any advances with their recent bulbs, but I tried the Silverstars a long time ago and they were constantly burning out.

Have you guys tried the Phillips Extreme? They advertise that the Extreme bulbs give off "80% more light." True or more marketing hype? When lit, is the color same as the stock halogens or do they producer a "whiter" light? The thing I will say about the Phillips bulbs that I've tried is that they I ran them in multiple cars for 2+ years and they never burnt out.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:53 pm

I've tried quite a few different bulbs, and settled on the Sylvania Xtravisions. The low-beam is better than stock and about the same color. High beam is scattered more than stock but I'm ok with that because I have the aux lights that come on with my high beams (see above). I've had the Xtravision in there about a year and no problems....and I use the headlights a lot.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:14 am

PatC wrote: Have you guys tried the Phillips Extreme? They advertise that the Extreme bulbs give off "80% more light." True or more marketing hype? When lit, is the color same as the stock halogens or do they producer a "whiter" light? The thing I will say about the Phillips bulbs that I've tried is that they I ran them in multiple cars for 2+ years and they never burnt out.
I found the Xtreme to be the best bulb out there. I had them installed on mine for a while before I went the HID route & can honestly say they are better than any of the Sylverstar garbage or the very expensive alternatives (I tried many). 80% more light is a flat-out lie. The wattage is still the same, but the lights are certainly whiter in output than the rest of the crowd.

jkatz2319

hid for 2012 pathfinder

Postby jkatz2319 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:03 pm

i have a 2012 pathfinder and those of you who have a pathfinder older then 07 or 08 know there is no aftermarket projector headlight you can buy. but over in uk the pathfinders have hid projector headlights stock. anyone know if there headlight housing would work in the american pathfinder

her is the website to se the headlights that come with the pathfinder

http://www.nissan.co.uk/#vehicles/4x4/p ... ont-view/1

[/img]

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Re: hid for 2012 pathfinder

Postby skinny2 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:47 pm

jkatz2319 wrote:i have a 2012 pathfinder and those of you who have a pathfinder older then 07 or 08 know there is no aftermarket projector headlight you can buy. but over in uk the pathfinders have hid projector headlights stock. anyone know if there headlight housing would work in the american pathfinder

her is the website to se the headlights that come with the pathfinder

http://www.nissan.co.uk/#vehicles/4x4/p ... ont-view/1

[/img]
I should have mentioned...I looked into importing these from Europe. The cost of the parts was over $3,000. Pass.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:10 pm

That sucks. You would have thought going this long, someone would have made some projector headlamps for the 08+ pathfinders.

Return to “R51 Electrical”