HELP! Squeak from hell

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri May 04, 2012 9:13 am

finally, the hood was making the sound again and i was able to get it on camera. unfortunately it's not as loud on camera as it is in person.

before:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8240118@N02/7142207133/

and then i put tape on just like hesh did:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8240118@N02/7142296443/

no more squeak! i haven't taken it out for a road test yet though, but i'm sure it fixed it. i also had opened and closed the hood a couple times before applying the tape to make sure it wasn't just the open/close that 'fixed' it.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 am

NVSteve wrote:
volvite wrote:I still have a bouncy hood as a problem for my pathfinder, but still looking at ideas to fix that. I was told the bug deflector might work.
Why not install a couple more hood stops? I'll have to look closely at mine when I work on it this weekend, but if memory serves, there was all kinds of room on that engine compartment lip.
with mine the hood stops wouldn't work. the problem is there was too much play in the hood, so even with the hood stop extened all the way it still wasn't long enough (that's what she said! 8) ) to stop it. and even then the hood would be about 1/8th inch higher than the side fender.

what 'fixed' mine was putting in that air raid setup. it puts so much pressure on the hood that it barely moves now. at first it did raise the hood so it wasn't even with the side fender, but it has since settled down and is even again.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri May 04, 2012 12:41 pm

doctahjones wrote: no more squeak! i haven't taken it out for a road test yet though, but i'm sure it fixed it. i also had opened and closed the hood a couple times before applying the tape to make sure it wasn't just the open/close that 'fixed' it.
Thanks for posting those. I'm still going to hit the bumpstops (mine are not adjustable) and then do the tape wrap. When I go on my short trip in a few weeks, I think I'll remove the tape & drive it for a few miles just so I can hear the squeak again. Then, I'll tape it back up and continue driving, hopefully without the squeak. That'll be the only way for the whole concept to fully sink in & be accepted by my brain. All I can say is it will be HUGE if I can bash my way through dirt & rock for an entire day without hearing that damned squeak.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri May 04, 2012 4:13 pm

doctahjones wrote:
NVSteve wrote:
volvite wrote:I still have a bouncy hood as a problem for my pathfinder, but still looking at ideas to fix that. I was told the bug deflector might work.
Why not install a couple more hood stops? I'll have to look closely at mine when I work on it this weekend, but if memory serves, there was all kinds of room on that engine compartment lip.
with mine the hood stops wouldn't work. the problem is there was too much play in the hood, so even with the hood stop extened all the way it still wasn't long enough (that's what she said! 8) ) to stop it. and even then the hood would be about 1/8th inch higher than the side fender.

what 'fixed' mine was putting in that air raid setup. it puts so much pressure on the hood that it barely moves now. at first it did raise the hood so it wasn't even with the side fender, but it has since settled down and is even again.
Mine is the same way. I've put the bump stops all the way out and it still bounces around. It also sits higer than the fenders so you can tell the hood is not sitting right. I think this is really pushing me to put the "hood lifts" mod on my hood to see if that will help keep it from bouncing around. steve you posted that link to the Xterra forum where they installed lifts on the hood, I think I'll try that this summer.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sun May 06, 2012 3:32 pm

volvite wrote:I've put the bump stops all the way out and it still bounces around. It also sits higer than the fenders so you can tell the hood is not sitting right. I think this is really pushing me to put the "hood lifts" mod on my hood to see if that will help keep it from bouncing around. steve you posted that link to the Xterra forum where they installed lifts on the hood, I think I'll try that this summer.
A while back, I tried adjusting the center bumpstop by turning it. Since everyone was saying they had adjustable stops, I assumed mine did as well. No matter which direction I turned it, it would just turn & not move up or down. Well, when I pulled out the bump stop on the driver's side yesterday, it turned right out & I saw that it was adjustable. Not much in the world of "adjustable" IMO, but still something. That middle stop was a big pain to get out because I pretty much had to pull and twist it. Once I had them all out, I hit them with graphite and reinstalled them. But, I left them sticking out a bit more than they were originally, so the hood should be a lot more solid when hit by a wind gust at 85. Of course I wrapped the hood loop as well. We'll see.

I don't know if that hood lift mod would help with stability, but I look forward to a write up nonetheless.

PathfindingCoug

Postby PathfindingCoug » Mon May 07, 2012 1:24 pm

I'm pretty novice when it comes to what is going on under the hood, and my Pathfinder is making the same squeaking noise.

Could someone please post a picture and label where I am supposed to try tape/grease to stop the squeaking?

Thank you!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon May 07, 2012 3:16 pm

PathfindingCoug wrote:I'm pretty novice when it comes to what is going on under the hood, and my Pathfinder is making the same squeaking noise.

Could someone please post a picture and label where I am supposed to try tape/grease to stop the squeaking?

Thank you!
Go back to the 2nd page of this thread and look for the one picture that was posted by Hesh. That photo is of the hood. You won't be able to miss seeing that on yours. The bumpstops are the 3 black round rubber things that also stick out of the hood, one in the center front & 1 on each front corner.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon May 07, 2012 4:30 pm

i haven't heard mine squeak since i put the tape on the hood loop, and i did a fair deal of driving around today....

PathfindingCoug

Postby PathfindingCoug » Tue May 08, 2012 10:38 am

NVSteve wrote:
PathfindingCoug wrote:I'm pretty novice when it comes to what is going on under the hood, and my Pathfinder is making the same squeaking noise.

Thank you!
Go back to the 2nd page of this thread and look for the one picture that was posted by Hesh. That photo is of the hood. You won't be able to miss seeing that on yours. The bumpstops are the 3 black round rubber things that also stick out of the hood, one in the center front & 1 on each front corner.

Thank you!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:10 pm

I skipped lubricating the bump stops and just taped the hood latch this weekend. So far the silence has been deafening...I can only hope this is the fix. I did adjust the bumpstops and I haven't noticed the hood vibrating as much. I'll be on the highway all day tomorrow and surely will see some illegal speeds passing trucks...that's usually when it goes extra wobbly.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:36 am

Still quiet with just tape on latch. Hood goes wobbly at 80mph+.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 am

Well, I beat the crap out of the Pathfinder the last 3 days. Not one single squeak, so case closed. Thanks again!
Last edited by NVSteve on Wed May 30, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Got to love electrical/duct tape. It can fix anything. :D

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 pm

just a followup. since doing this i haven't had the squeak return.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:11 am

I've been listening to that annoying squeek in my 06 LE for the past couple of months and it's been driving me crazy! I can't really hear it when I crank up the radio, but driving on these crude, bumpy backroads in VA with the radio off, it's been hard to tell where it's been coming from! Going to tape the loop as soon as I can and give it a try!

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”